EBay madness

Marcyg

I see the seller managed to break the Black Five whilst testing it.

A brand new Black 5 from Tower Models is £1525 but given that you need not just to repair, or perhaps even source, spare parts, fix them and strip down for a full repaint, I'd have expected a bit more of a bargain option for this thing.  Also, it's difficult without a close up of the damaged side parts to know just how much work is involved - presumably more than the skill of the seller otherwise he'd have fixed it himself - not exactly encouraging someone to "grab a bargain" is it?

• Like 1

I think this may be in breach of ebay conditions:

This is listed with no photo one item and a mention of the other listing (and an auction):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gwr-kit-built-finescale-broad-gauge-1830s-gooch-FIREFLY-2-2-2-loco-3x-coaches-/221169492923?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item337ebaa3bb

The sellar has also listing this item, with a photo (and buy-it-now price):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gwr-kit-built-finescale-broad-gauge-1838-gooch-FIREFLY-2-2-2-loco-3-coaches-lot2-/221170335551?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item337ec77f3f

I did contact the seller, to ask if he was aware he was breaching ebay terms, but he stated he had 2 of them to sell...

But I'll leave you to make up your own minds ofcourse.

Paul A.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like it didn't get a coat of etch primer before being painted. There's an equally ropey looking Black Five on offer as well.

Quote: "superbly assembled"....

It may well have been until he "handled" it.

Quote: "goes like a rocket in both directions and traverses the switches with ease, but I managed to break a side valve piece in the process."

" Both side valve pieces are included but will need some work to reattach and improve this design. They have probably had a little rough treatment from being unboxed..."

Er, no, I'm tending to think it was running it like a rocket in both directions that did it, as opposed to being unboxed!

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

Re Bachmann Collector club items on e-bay

I have bought items from a model shop which were marked "Bachmann Collectors Club Exclusive 20xx" (or similar)

There were more than one available, brand new, but were only being sold at the typical price of a non exclusive item.

Questions: How did they get there in the first place? Do Bachmann sell off surplus club items?

Keith

I've seen this in a couple of shops too. I can only assume that after a while Bachmann dispose of slow-selling stock in this way. 

• RMweb Gold

It looks in almost as good a condition as the one that hit Saltley Viaduct about 30 years ago

It is (less buffer heads) but Gostude selling something at a not unreasonable price (£10 incl p&p*)is something new!

*These are heavy so the postage will be too.

Meanwhile, this person must be taking the p... (10p is about right for the whole magazine).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Formoway-model-railway-layout-system-1965-magazine-advert-/310436429886?pt=UK_Collectables_Advertising_ET&hash=item484774003e

• RMweb Gold

It is (less buffer heads) but Gostude selling something at a not unreasonable price (£10 incl p&p*)is something new!

*These are heavy so the postage will be too.

Meanwhile, this person must be taking the p... (10p is about right for the whole magazine).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Formoway-model-railway-layout-system-1965-magazine-advert-/310436429886?pt=UK_Collectables_Advertising_ET&hash=item484774003e

Not least because the better Formoway ads showed real trackage - was it Gatwick Airport?

Since it is more or less impossible to sell old magazines as the postage is far more than they are worth, mine ended up in the dump, perhaps these various sellers of ad or article pages have the right idea, does anyone know if they actually manage to sell them?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

:O Wow.Someones doubled his money.Are Bachman doing another run of this livery ? Went for over 200 sheets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-WAINWRIGHT-C-CLASS-595-LOCOMOTIVE-SE-CR-GREEN-ITEM-No-31-460-/330848012705?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d081409a1

Edited by gwrrob

Since it is more or less impossible to sell old magazines as the postage is far more than they are worth, mine ended up in the dump, perhaps these various sellers of ad or article pages have the right idea, does anyone know if they actually manage to sell them?

Keith

Most of mine were donated to the South Devon Railway (where a lot of them came from (at 10p each!) in the first place) when we moved.

As to buying loose pages, I would have thought not, but P.T. Barnum's law is still valid (probably two, or even three, every minute by now).

Edited by Il Grifone