EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

I did a bit of digging to see what's going on with these Amazon vouchers (other digging implements are available). Needless to say there's a variety of scams going on. Herewith a selection but the basis of the frauds is that Amazon vouchers aren't physical enitities they're just electronic codes ie seller sends winner the code:

Winning bids being made on stolen credit cards (looks like there's no tie-up between Paypal claims and Amazon).

People on benefits and/or traders not declaring themselves as traders, all of whom use their Paypal 'Credit' to buy voucher. Hence the transaction doesn't go through bank account and maybe worth taking a minor hit on their cash flow.

Scammers who bid over the odds, then claim from Paypal a few days later that goods not received. Paypal won't reimburse the seller as the item wasn't a physical entity

.....and am sure there are others.

Meanwhile ebay encourages on you to accept Paypal.......

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 1

Seems that everything from our little friend these days is kit built, including this unbuilt kit. As I was sniggering at the whopping 50p discount compared to a new one, I noticed that unlike a new one it includes some Romford wheels so is it in fact *gulp* a bit of a bargain? :O

Edited by Cleefy

• RMweb Premium

OK another Delner Virgin 57 gone for over £100 !

Time for Bachmann to bring out another version me thinks

I want two to renumber/rename but can't justify £100 +

Cheaper to buy a new yellow one....... and repaint into DRS blue

Cheers,

Mick

so is it in fact *gulp* a bit of a bargain? :O

Almost, but not quite. Though everything is relative, and once the usual postage of £8 is taken into account for a BIN it is about the top end of what they should be reaching.

A typical auction of one of these would start at £50 and climb relentlessly (if competitive interest is there) to the £85-£100 mark. Unlike a lot of items this will probably sell.

Kits on ebay (particularly DJH) at the moment seem to be going for inflated prices. Recession, what recession?

I just love the "Comes in a great box." description.

Edited by Kenton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've dealt with him a couple of times Ian. An A1 bloke when there was a problem (not of his making)

I've also dealt with him on several occasions and he is the best E-bay seller I've come across. Delivery & packaging are superb and when one item was accidentally sent to the wrong customer he immediately told me & refunded. When he got it back from them he then sent it to me FOC & even when I offered he refused payment. Top man!!

Bob.

• Like 1

Cheaper to buy a new yellow one....... and repaint into DRS blue

Cheers,

Mick

Yes but when the DRS one never got round to working a Pendolino drag on the North Wales Coast. I need Virign Liveried ones :beee:

Want to do 57 309 "Brains" and 57 311 "Parker"

Guess I'll have to scour Trade stands at the exhibitions as Ebay is way too expensive ! :O

• RMweb Premium
The mind boggles!

I'd like to be able to get to things in boxes without opening them, alas my teleporting skills (unlike that seller) are not up to much.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I've dealt with him a couple of times Ian. An A1 bloke when there was a problem (not of his making)

I've also dealt with him on several occasions. Really excellent seller.

I wish there were more like him.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've dealt with him as well, not had any problems because if he thinks its not right he says so.

• Like 3

YES, Dealt with him a few times and he is an excellent ebay seller.

Replies when emailed.

As you say Honest as far as what he is selling goes....in this instance you can see it anyway, but other times even though the item has looked good if you read the screed you would know what you are going to get.

He gets my vote as a seller to deal with.

Khris

Edited by kandc_au
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The mind boggles!

I'd like to be able to get to things in boxes without opening them, alas my teleporting skills (unlike that seller) are not up to much.

Keith

You could argue that without opening the box to check, the model could be a detailed side stuck to a spacer!

But you're all correct, why do they say that the box has never been opened, when obviously it has. Anyway, don't the vast majority of us get the model home & take a good look at it, possibly run it, then and only then, stick it back in the box?

You could argue that without opening the box to check, the model could be a detailed side stuck to a spacer!

But you're all correct, why do they say that the box has never been opened, when obviously it has. Anyway, don't the vast majority of us get the model home & take a good look at it, possibly run it, then and only then, stick it back in the box?

You would think people would try their new purchases, but the last time I mentioned on this thread the number of listings refering to loco's never run or ever been out of box, loads of people said they didn't!!.

• RMweb Premium

You would think people would try their new purchases, but the last time I mentioned on this thread the number of listings refering to loco's never run or ever been out of box, loads of people said they didn't!!.

Even if they were fine when purchased, what are they like after many years storage?

I bought three Mainline locos 40 odd years ago, test ran them when new - fine. Packed them away as there was no layout to use them on.

Got them out 5 years ago (never touched in between!) One wouldn't run, one ran poorly and the other was just about OK.

They still all looked pristine, as new.

Keith

Edited by melmerby