EBay madness

Marcyg

However a few things to clarify;

I am at a total loss as to what is "iffy". It seems this listing rings alarm bells. Can someone be more specific? What actual bells are being rung?

The seller admits to not knowing much about the model but it would not be the first time.

To state that you have concerns because the item is in Stockport

I specifically stated Colin that it was not that. It most certainly is not because it's in Stockport, and that this has been inferred of me twice is a little wearying.

where a black motor was stolen a few years ago is tantamount to ruling out every single item on e bay as I'm sure there is not a part of the country where something was not stolen i nthe past.

Not really. Most ebay sales regarding live steam models are auctions with eBay sellers with a few sales to their name. We're talking hundreds of thousands of sales in some cases! Fully made up models on eBay, as I've observed them, normally have buy it now prices in and around the £3000-£4000 sale price and are more professionally drawn up auctions for sale.

The models also normally come with paperwork; drawings, boiler certificates, ownership documents, spares, etc etc.

There is none of that here. It is simply a perfectly finished 3.5in gauge model, on an ironing board, with a very vague description, taking care to note builder's plaques and similar in contrast. It's an unusual auction for what is being sold, and that's why alarm bells were ringing with me.

But as I say, perhaps I am jaded.

Edited by S.A.C Martin
  • Like 1

Firstly, may I offer my apologies if anybody has been offended by my original post.

As outlined in my previous post, the auction read very odd to me, and a few alarm bells were ringing precisely because it's a first time seller, with little knowledge of the model and its true value, putting it up for sale on a site where "train men" do buy and sell models quite frequently.

As I also said in my original post, perhaps I am unfairly suspicious of the item in question.

I think the term "lynch mob" is an unwarranted and extreme exaggeration of simply raising one's concerns over what looks to be, on the surface, suspicious to a few of us.

I raised my concerns to gauge opinion of the item, and whether or not I was being unfair in my thoughts. I'm not sure either way, but my conscience is clear for raising it at the very least.

Exactly. After 12 years of both buying and selling on Ebay, the phrase Caveat Emptor is just as relevant now as it has ever been, and the experience should have taught everyone to be just as suspicious of any auction item, as they would be of the "one careful spinster owner" car advert.

The irony is that after two people expressed an opinion concerning the item and were branded a lynch mob, the childish element is now piling in with what presumably are considered amusing comments in some quarters, and the original 'lynch mob' is being attacked by a lynch mob.

This seller has several other railway items for sale including these

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3378490473

which to the best of my knowledge are not made of metal. It seems they come from a house clearance & he freely admits he knows nothing about trains.

He shows plenty of photographs & gives full information on how to pay including Paypal & where the items can be collected if needed. It’s not like he's operating from the back of a van under a railway bridge.

Now his spelling or grammar might not be correct in every aspect but surely a little research might not go amiss before we have the execution.

Incidentally he now has a feedback of one. Does that make him ok ?

Edited by amdaley

I think what people are actually saying is "Have a little think before you write something down" It’s very easy to cast doubt over someone's character from the safety of a keyboard & behind a forum pseudonym.

Do a little research first & if having done so then by all means ask the question in a polite manner or ask the seller if you have doubts.

No one is suggesting that someone can't have an opinion, just don't expect everyone else to agree with you.

I think what people are actually saying is "Have a little think before you write something down" It’s very easy to cast doubt over someone's character from the safety of a keyboard & behind a forum pseudonym.

I hardly think my full (and real) name of "S.A.C. Martin" is "hiding behind a forum pseudonym".

Do a little research first & if having done so then by all means ask the question in a polite manner or ask the seller if you have doubts.

I did do my research in terms of what live steam models are going for, and that particular auction still looks like an "odd man out" amongst the rest to me, I am afraid. I did in fact contact the seller first but garnered no response.

No one is suggesting that someone can't have an opinion, just don't expect everyone else to agree with you.

Absolutely, but would you mind awfully not trying to besmirch MY character with your insinuation that I brought up the auction with the sole intention of destroying someone's character, keyboard warrior style, without prior thought or research?

Because there's a significant difference between asking "does this look odd to you" and explaining why it does, in comparison to "the man's a crook" which is essentially what you are saying I have done?

Edited by S.A.C Martin
  • Like 2

Crikey, this thread has got a bit serious! Thanks to Horsetan for keeping it real with a good old Blackadder quote. Can't go wrong with a bit of Melchett. Baah!

Should we calm down and get back to the more entertaining matter of taking the mick out of ridiculously optimistic eBay sales before a moderator gets fed up of the heated debates and shuts the thread down?

Cheers,

Will

PS. If you disagree, feel free to question my motives, reveal my hidden agendas, over-analyse my psychology or accuse me of bringing poor repute on your character - but I won't be listening because I come here to talk about model railways :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Possibly only residents of Stockport.

And the seller on E Bay.

However a few things to clarify;

I specifically stated Colin that it was not that. It most certainly is not because it's in Stockport, and that this has been inferred of me twice is a little wearying.

In fairness it was the final sentence of your original post that gave me the idea that your problem was with where the item came from. The listing says it is in Stockport.

Not the price, but where it's come from...?

Anyway thank you for clarifying what caused the alarm bells.

Crikey, this thread has got a bit serious! Thanks to Horsetan for keeping it real with a good old Blackadder quote. Can't go wrong with a bit of Melchett. Baah!

Should we calm down and get back to the more entertaining matter of taking the mick out of ridiculously optimistic eBay sales before a moderator gets fed up of the heated debates and shuts the thread down?

Cheers,

Will

I agree. Anyone want to buy an Airfix turntable kit for £85 + £6.00 pstage? http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2eb8e6025a

• Like 1

And the seller on E Bay.

In fairness it was the final sentence of your original post that gave me the idea that your problem was with where the item came from. The listing says it is in Stockport.

[/color]

Anyway thank you for clarifying what caused the alarm bells.

I agree. Anyone want to buy an Airfix turntable kit for £85 + £6.00 pstage? http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2eb8e6025a

I like the name of the seller :jester:

Thanks to Horsetan for keeping it real with a good old Blackadder quote. Can't go wrong with a bit of Melchett. Baah!

Gen Melchett: "The thing is, Blackadder, the 'King and Country' cover story was just a... cover story!"

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, that's classified information now. You never know who might be reading this.....!

Possibly only residents of Stockport. But you can make amends by walking naked through the streets of Stockport, bearing a large wooden cross, and being flagellated by Catholic priests.

Wasn't that a film with Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman? :jester:

no it was the northern version t' rain man

sorry i'll get me coat.

• RMweb Gold

I know I bought several additional ones 'in case the price rises one day' but this bloke really is hopeful - I wonder if he would like a few more at, say, 50 quid a pop then I can make a huge profit and so can he ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'd say so, location and name embedded in the eBay user name match the good Metro's details.

So John's going O gauge is he? - happens to the best of us ......

Edited by RedgateModels

• RMweb Gold

I'd say so, location and name embedded in the eBay user name match the good Metro's details.

So John's going O gauge is he? - happens to the best of us ......

So long as he doesn't wany us to add an O gauge loop to the DRAG TT2 :)

• RMweb Gold

We at DRAG have seen most of these on the test track and they are all lovely things.

I hope that he gets a good price for them. One to watch!

I wonder how long it will take him to build locos in the larger scale! :P