EBay madness

Marcyg

I saw that the Metropolitan listing ended unsold with a £2000 opening price, and is now re-listed at £2500!?!

Seems like a odd strategy......

Edited by M Graff

Not madness, but is this our compatriot, Metropolitan's, collection?

Metropolitan Collection

...... Always in awe of his ability to build a kit!

...in record-breaking time.

I'd say so, location and name embedded in the eBay user name match the good Metro's details.

So John's going O gauge is he? - happens to the best of us ......

Either that, or he's clearing the decks for more ancient 4mm scale kits!

I saw that the Metropolitan listing ended unsold with a £2000 opening price, and is now re-listed at £2500!?!

Well, that's John for you :jester:

Yes it does seem strange. If they didn't go at £2000 then they are unlikely to go for £2500 but you never know. However it does look like a great collection & I hope he gets what they are really worth.When you consider the amount of time & skill which went into their making I think £2000 wasn't a bad price at all.

Nah, They do it here in Oz when there is a sale on!

Jack the price up and say it is on sale.

And people buy it like there is no tomorrow...........

Khris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise he'd upped the price. There's nothing odd about the stop/start. I actually emailed him because he'd mis-spelt Metropolitan in the 1st listing so it wasn't coming up under a search for Metropolitan (obviously). For something with a £2k price tag he wasn't going to catch many people's attention unless they read this thread!

(Sorry I've been offline all day - would've posted this earlier).

• Like 1

The number of potential customers must be drastically reduced by offering them in one lot. I would think a much better chance of making his price by selling individually with an attractive starting price to encourage bidding. But its sellers choice.

Keith

Lost the links, but tonight I've witnessed a Bachmann 08 go for £98 and a mk1 BG for £42, from our friends in Sheffield... I appreciate a trusted seller will push up the price to an extent, but what's going on?!

• RMweb Premium

Lost the links, but tonight I've witnessed a Bachmann 08 go for £98 and a mk1 BG for £42, from our friends in Sheffield... I appreciate a trusted seller will push up the price to an extent, but what's going on?!

Nothing? If people want to pay extra, more fool them.

Kevin Martin

This company seem to be very adept in getting top prices for some very mundane models. They are a very reputable company so maybe E Bayer’s are being extra mad when bidding on some of their offerings. I have wondered about this myself & that’s the only logical explanation I can come up with.

£13 for a three legged bench... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-LEAD-RAILWAY-STATION-SEAT-DAMAGED-IDEAL-4-A-TRAIN-LAYOUT-OLD-SEE-THE-PHOTOS-/360445266610?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item53ec364ab2

"Various collectable diecast items all from one collection. This is a one time chance that will not be repeated. This is your opportunity to acquire top quality, original boxed models collected over a period of 30 years."

Agreed - certainly I've bought stuff from them in the past (at more reasonable prices!) and would have no objections to dealing with them again, but at those prices I'd get a train up to Sheffield and buy at RRP! :D

Was it a kit that later became part of the Falcon Brass kits range.

One hundred and forty-five quid?!? :O

Yes it is a bit much to begin with but you have to see who's selling it as well. They recently had some Lawrence & Goddard OO gauge coaches on auction at crazy prices which didn't sell I would say. Lawrence & Goddard items are highly thought of as some of their work is superb but not at this price. Maybe a few years ago items like this might have reached this price at auctions end but not now.

Look at these items here. Some superb models but look at the prices & look at who's selling them :jester: Pure madness.

http://www.ebay.ie/s...6.c0.m270.l1313

Edited by amdaley

• RMweb Gold

Another one who perseveres..... this didn't sell (twice) for a start price of £45 so he re-listed a 3rd time for £47.50 start price and it didn't sell, so he's listed it again starting at £47.50

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Never-built-BR-class-58-from-Hornby-parts-/221059850730?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item337831a1ea