EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

If I were attempting to sell something at 'over the odds', I would at least take the original price label off. I wonder which it is, but I can't be bothered to ask.

I wonder which loco you would get if you bought it? (maybe you are going to get both - then it's a reasonable price!)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

If I were attempting to sell something at 'over the odds', I would at least take the original price label off. I wonder which it is, but I can't be bothered to ask.

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available"

Maybe he subscribes to RMWeb and has realised he's been rumbled......?

• Like 1

I think he means the seller has zero feedback. Everybody has to start somewhere!

Pete

Please read thank you

This live steam loco is 40" long .

hight is 10 1/2 "

Gauge is 3 1/2 "

Please see all pics

as im totaly lost with trains

Was told its a great hand made item

It says on the side in the diamond

DUBS AND CO NO 3510 GLASGOW

LOCOMOTION WORKS 1897

You train men will understand that what can i say its a lovely heavey thing . It has pipes coming from the tender to the engine for the water and brakes ?

The front door opens is that the boiler door there is a door in the cab .also opens

Lots of levers dials things u can turn

Its over my head

So postage

I will post to uk or world wide but you will have to sort your own carrier and pay for it your end

all ill need is the day it will be collected ??? The loco and tender weigh 45kgs and with the case approx 50 to 55 kgs

Or collection welcome

Cash on collection also welcome or paypal thanks any questions please call me on 07983471123

Thanks

This item is sold ad seen

No returns thanks

Ps have set post as local pickup

World wide please ask ??

But dony forget the winner pays his own carrier thank

I don't know, perhaps I'm too jaded by some of the things I've read about eBay on here, and the number of metal thieves stealing this, that, and t'other. But for some reason this particular eBay auction (perhaps unfairly) rang a few alarm bells with me.

• RMweb Gold

I am at a total loss as to what is "iffy". It seems this listing rings alarm bells. Can someone be more specific? What actual bells are being rung?

The seller admits to not knowing much about the model but it would not be the first time.

To state that you have concerns because the item is in Stockport where a black motor was stolen a few years ago is tantamount to ruling out every single item on e bay as I'm sure there is not a part of the country where something was not stolen i nthe past. Also AFAIK metal thieves usually sell their spoils for cash on a "no questions asked" basis. Setting up an e bay and pay pal account, publishing a telephone number and accepting personal collections is hardy an anonomyous way of disposing of metal.

I am not the seller of this item, but if I were I would take great offence at the implication that there is something wrong with the listing in the manner suggest by previous posts.

Do you mean that you have no problems with someone with no knowledge of railways and no previous Ebay history, suddenly coming into possession of a 3 1/2 gauge live steam locomotive and thinking "I know, I will open an Ebay account and sell it on the internet with a starting price of £1500 even though I know nothing about it"?

And that is forgetting the fact that while knowing nothing about railways, he knows precisely what to put into the auction title in order to attract the majority of attention.

He even spells gauge correctly, which is becoming suspicious in itself these days.

• Like 2

I have heard of 009 layouts on ironing boards but it is a bit small for a 3 1/2" gauge engine to run on it.

It would be mad to try to sell stolen goods like this on ebay as it will be too distinct to get away with it.

• RMweb Premium

It's possible that the vendor has come across this item legitimately not knowing that it was stolen property (thats assuming it is stolen). Most such items appear to be stolen to order but I would certainly like to know a lot more about the providence of such an item.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Gold

Do you mean that you have no problems with someone with no knowledge of railways and no previous Ebay history, suddenly coming into possession of a 3 1/2 gauge live steam locomotive and thinking "I know, I will open an Ebay account and sell it on the internet with a starting price of £1500 even though I know nothing about it"?

And that is forgetting the fact that while knowing nothing about railways, he knows precisely what to put into the auction title in order to attract the majority of attention.

He even spells gauge correctly, which is becoming suspicious in itself these days.

I have no problem whatsoever.

I am assuming your reference to correct spelling is just a joke.

Regarding someone claiming not to know much about the item being sold, as i said in my previous post it would not be the first time. Pretending to know little in an attempt to sell an item does not mean that the item is stolen.

The seller does have some other items for sale, so it may be that the live steam loco was indeed the impetus that prompted him/her to open an e bay account as he/she may have heard that could be a way of getting a good price for it.

I agree with Tony's reference to a lynch mob, because that is what some of the recent posts look like.

I want two tickets for the front row when ever the hanging is taking place.

Now I know what they mean by lynch mob :O

I want two tickets for the front row when ever the hanging is taking place.

Now I know what they mean by lynch mob :O

As your posting appeared twice in two minutes, does this mean you actually want four tickets?

As your posting appeared twice in two minutes, does this mean you actually want four tickets?

Yes, Lynchings are quite unusual in this area. The mob have grown tired of muggings etc :)

I think lynch mob might be a slight over exaggeration.

It is an Ebay auction item, nothing more.

It may be an Ebay auction but the reactions are more in keeping with lynch mentality or witch trials. You know what I mean ? No proof & all that. If she floats shes a witch & if she drowns, well we all make mistakes.

I'm going to be selling a large oil burning stove soon which contains a lot of metal. Maybe I better think again :)

Edited by amdaley

He can't spell 'heavy' or 'height' though!

Apologies: facetious remark. The above means nothing in terms of the sale of the item.

Edited by forest2807

Firstly, may I offer my apologies if anybody has been offended by my original post.

As outlined in my previous post, the auction read very odd to me, and a few alarm bells were ringing precisely because it's a first time seller, with little knowledge of the model and its true value, putting it up for sale on a site where "train men" do buy and sell models quite frequently.

As I also said in my original post, perhaps I am unfairly suspicious of the item in question.

I think the term "lynch mob" is an unwarranted and extreme exaggeration of simply raising one's concerns over what looks to be, on the surface, suspicious to a few of us.

I raised my concerns to gauge opinion of the item, and whether or not I was being unfair in my thoughts. I'm not sure either way, but my conscience is clear for raising it at the very least.

• Like 1

.... I had to go to ? instead.....

Sorry, that's classified information now. You never know who might be reading this.....!

Firstly, may I offer my apologies if anybody has been offended by my original post.

Possibly only residents of Stockport. But you can make amends by walking naked through the streets of Stockport, bearing a large wooden cross, and being flagellated by Catholic priests.

"train men" ....

Wasn't that a film with Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman? :jester:

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1