EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Yee gawds....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tri-ang-BLUE-GREY-Sleeping-car-Professionaly-weathered-/170623997833?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27b9fb9789

Reminds me of some of the weathered crap that the infamous Aldo1080 used to offer!!!

"A rare item I would guess"

Rare is not the word I was thinking of!

Guys, I'd just like to put the other side of the coin. I once made an unplanned last minute bit on some rolling stock. I won. Great. Now imagine my horror when I realized that I'd missed out the decimal point and instead of bidding 40 quid I'd bid 4 thousand and odd quid. It wouldn't have mattered that much except the other guy must have really wanted them, though on reflection I cant think why. Anyway, the upshot produced a near identical situation. Greatly fearing the bosses wrath I made a grovelling apology and withdrew. Basically I'd miss hit the decimal point and was in too much of a last second rush to check. You know what the say about impulse buying! Always check your points.

Or could one of them be a "plant"? :unsure:

• RMweb Gold

Guys, I'd just like to put the other side of the coin. I once made an unplanned last minute bit on some rolling stock. I won. Great. Now imagine my horror when I realized that I'd missed out the decimal point and instead of bidding 40 quid I'd bid 4 thousand and odd quid. It wouldn't have mattered that much except the other guy must have really wanted them, though on reflection I cant think why. Anyway, the upshot produced a near identical situation. Greatly fearing the bosses wrath I made a grovelling apology and withdrew. Basically I'd miss hit the decimal point and was in too much of a last second rush to check. You know what the say about impulse buying! Always check your points.

We all make mastikes, of course. I think it's just a surprise that two bidders went to £70 and beyond on an RTR loco which won't run, and then both withdrew, one coming back later and winning at less than £40. Odd.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There could be another theory.... If 'Bidder A' makes his/her bid on an item, then along comes 'Bidder B' who also wants it, 'B' could put in an excessively OTT bid which would through the bid history reveal how much 'A' had bid up to.

'B' then just has to withdraw his original OTT bid and lie in wait until the end of the auction with his bid to just outsnipe 'A' already lined up and raring to go, or if he finds that 'A' has bid a maximum more than 'B' is willing to go to, he moves on to another example of the item.

Of course if both 'A' and 'B' are playing the same over bid to find out then withdraw game then it could all get very sticky indeed!!

As an aside I have tended to notice that railsofsheffield auctions tend to attract far more excessive bids than other sellers, there seem to be groupies who will bid outrageously on anything they offer sometimes, usually coincident with a full moon.

• Like 2

Entering an excessive bid by accident should not really be a major problem, unless you do not have the funds to pay competitively for the item at it's real value.

A £40 bid that is entered at £400 or £4000 should make little difference to the outcome, unless there is a bidder that has the time to enter chase bids, and as he has no idea what you mistaken entered, will in normal circumstances, give up.

Auto snipe bidders set a max limit by default, so they are only going to push it high to their bidders maximum.

The danger of an over bid is it pushes things to the max others will pay, but if two people make the mistake, then you have real trouble, but frankly this is unlikely.

Auctions are just that, an auction, and you must expect to take the flack of problem bidding, the major thing is to decide from the start what you will pay!! This cures most issues, it is no use worrying about items going sky high, another one will be along soon!!!

What is going on on Ebay is shilling, getting bids from friends, rings, double or more accounts, false identities, all of which in a real auction would attract Police attention, they are illegal in UK auction houses.

Retractions seem too easy on Ebay, retractions in Auction Houses are near impossible, without severe repercussions on the bidder. Ebay attracts the man in the street who has never been to an auction and bid before, and it is obvious that inexperienced buyers get caught up in the rush of bidding.,

In my opinion the Ebay table that shows activity with the seller can be very indicative of bad bidding, I am not saying it shows shilling bids, but it does tie in with private listings problems, and I personally think Private Listings should be headline flagged by Ebay, so that bidders can decide whether to bid or not.

It is no use saying that you should know the rival bidders, in a real auction you would not know I was even bidding against you or who I was, so Ebay is very different. I happen to have attended auctions for years, buying and selling, and it is tempting to think you are getting bargains on Ebay, it is so easy to use, but it is dangerous if you do not consider the basics, and dismiss the postage costs etc.,( very common!) in working out what you would pay for an item.

Stephen.

There could be another theory.... If 'Bidder A' makes his/her bid on an item, then along comes 'Bidder B' who also wants it, 'B' could put in an excessively OTT bid which would through the bid history reveal how much 'A' had bid up to.

'B' then just has to withdraw his original OTT bid and lie in wait until the end of the auction with his bid to just outsnipe 'A' already lined up and raring to go, or if he finds that 'A' has bid a maximum more than 'B' is willing to go to, he moves on to another example of the item.

Of course if both 'A' and 'B' are playing the same over bid to find out then withdraw game then it could all get very sticky indeed!!

It is never a game, using an over bid and retraction to determine the rivals bidding is against Ebay rules and also would be illegal if tried in a Auction house, where it is near impossible anyway in a conventional auction.

It seems the problem is that retractions can be quickly put in place on Ebay, perhaps retractions should be allowed in early bids, but then guillotined during the final hours, invoking buyer beware!!!!!

I made two mistakes in bidding, but did not retract, I took the hit of paying a bit over the odds, perfectly fair, why should I not pay for my own mistake, the seller does not owe me anything.

Stephen.

• Like 1

eBay already do this. No retractions are allowed in the last 24 hours of an auction, as far as I know.

That pretty much covers it, retractions after over bidding should not affect bidding, as they will be blatantly obvious. I must say in passing that the bidding records on Ebay can be very difficult to follow at times and seem to give false impressions however accurate the table is.

Good rules..... do not bid if you can't afford it.....bid only to what you want to pay, (don't forget the postage).....and be prepared to loose it in the post, and not blow your top over it's loss, life is too short!!.....all of which we all merrily disregard completly!!!!!

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

Good rules..... do not bid if you can't afford it.....bid only to what you want to pay, (don't forget the postage).....and be prepared to loose it in the post, and not blow your top over it's loss.

Stephen.

Those are good rules for any auction - always try to work to a limit that you set in advance. And don't go buying something else you originally didn't have in mind just because you missed out on the thing you really wanted. And always allow for any on costs such as commissions and - as Stephen says - postage etc. To be honest I have occasionally gone 'one bid over' in the auction room 'just in case' (and have sometimes been successful as a result) but I normally drop out at my pre-set limit and sit back and laugh at those who don't and get themselves into a bidding war and finish up paying way over the odds.

• RMweb Premium

Worth bidding only to ensure that it is safely removed from circulation and destroyed so that civilisation never has to see this abomination ever again!!! :lol:

Guest dilbert

Has anyone on this forum had statements literally lifted and plonked to promote an ebay sale ? And not even plagiarised ?

Well I came across this earlier today http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3a64c93223

Reading the description seemed somewhat familiar, but there again I had written this (months ago) http://www.rmweb.co....__1#entry243151

How can I claim my commission ? ...BTW I accept PayPal... dilbert B)

Guest baldrick25

and the current top bidders record for the last 30 days...

30-Day Summary

Total bids: 1803

Items bid on: 304

Thats 10 different items per day on average to bid on, and 60 bids per day on average.. Going some you reckon..

even when you notice that the number of successful transactions (bought and sold) stands at 56.

Mind you the bidder does have 20 bids on this item alone - and still counting.

• RMweb Gold

Ninety quid seems a bit steep for a postcard.

Could be as rare as he suggests in which case it might be about the right price although judging by UK prices I would have thought =£50-60 would be nearer the mark from a dealer. Generally his stuff doesn't look too over-priced on a B.I.N. basis which is bound to be on the optimisitic side. His Louis Wain cat cards are pretty reasonably priced by UK standards measured against auction prices and allowing for a realistic mark-up.

Does anyone else think "rails-sheffield" are a tad odd? Most of their items sell for more than normal, leaving it looking rather suspicious...

It's up you what you think but you're bordering on making a libellous accusation that you can't substantiate there and compromising the site in doing so.

It could just be that they're a known name and a lot of buyers don't do their research.

I do.

Maybe you're looking for a self-destruct button?

• Like 3

Andy...........Fully agree about Rails if Sheffield, it is the buying frenzy fever that strikes with a popular Ebay seller that brings on the "silly" bidders, I have had several bargains from them on Ebay, but if say a Wrenn loco, or a Diesel variant that is desirable, turns up then all hell will break loose!!!

Auctions always show the real value of items to the buyer, and you cannot fathom some buyers tastes or the depth of their pockets, life is like that.

Stephen.

Just picked a sample of the oft quoted "over priced items" from Rails and nothing appears amiss with the sales, except the very rampant enthusiasm of the bidders for the items.

The winners buy the same type items, and regularly spend large amounts, and do not deal exclusively with Rails, so generalised comments on this really are very unfair to the seller.

If you are not experienced with auctions, one fact is always right, the real value is determined by the price paid, that's all it does, nothing more or less

That this price does not suit your view of the value is just life as it comes....unfair in your view, but the reality of the situation.

Stephen..

Could it be that, being a recognised seller, people see it as a compromise between paying extra to buy from a shop, and getting a 'bargain' on ebay? Well ok, that doesn't explain some of the daft prices, but it would explain why you could expect their stuff to sell for £5-£10 more than other ebay listings? I know I'd have more faith buying from them than someone with a feedback rating of 3 and a barely understandable grasp of English!

• Like 1

Andy, whilst I see your point, and I have no actual research, surely the fact many of their listings are in this very thread counts towards something?

Hi

You might want to defend that supposition in a libel court, we however do not. Please desist in making defamatory suggestions based on flimsy 'evidence'.

Thank you.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You might want to defend that supposition in a libel court, we don't. Please desist in making such suggestions based on flimsy 'evidence'.

I suggest that Rails' use of ebay as a medium for offering their secondhand stock sets them apart from most other box-shifters, many of whom do not part-exchange, anyway. It is precisely because they are a reputable retail seller that people spend time on their ebay shop, while other ebay vendors make far fewer sales, as well as being perceived to be of indifferent reputation, whatever their ebay %. A Rails product is thus seen as having some weight behind the description, so bidders go the extra £ or two. I've certainly been happy with every used item I've bought there.

• Like 1