EBay madness

Marcyg

At what point does postage deserve to be reported to eBay £21.65 I'd expect it gift wrapped and hand delivered. Obviously trying to over-cook the prixe and avoid fees.

For Special Delivery by 1pm, £21.65 is any parcel over 2kg (up to 10kg) - I would imagine an O-gauge kit including the wheels (and by the looks of it some large-ish whitemetal castings) would probably weigh over the 2KG mark.

Andy B)

For Special Delivery by 1pm, £21.65 is any parcel over 2kg (up to 10kg) - I would imagine an O-gauge kit including the wheels (and by the looks of it some large-ish whitemetal castings) would probably weigh over the 2KG mark.

Andy B)

Thanks, I hadn't realised that SD went up so dramatically over 2Kg - I shall have to merit more praise on those who offer P&P on these kits for less. I have seen similar kits 7mm DJH for the typical £5 P&P - they must get a big shock when they turn up at the counter.

Andy B)

Maybe but DJH can send it at £5.95 (I just checked).

• RMweb Gold

Barmy Terry, absolutely barmy. I'm building a Constructeon etched kit which got from Ebay for about £50 IIRC which is turning out quite nicely! Of course this was just before the Heljan one came out! That makes the seventh project that has been superseded by a proprietry model.:( ;)

• RMweb Gold

This clown would want to charge me £45 for Express International Delivery, of an item weighing 153 grams - and undertakes to post it within 5 days of receiving payment. Hey - Express or what? I think he sees his pension plan looming!

• RMweb Gold

Our Mr Gostude never seems to put anything up for auction. Afraid of a 'true' price being realized perhaps?;) If he did, perhaps 'collectors' would get a better deal as opposed to a sky-high 'fixed' prices that his section of the trade all seem to sell at.

If you were to look back to the beginning of this thread some, time ago, his name would probably be very prominent. That said there must be a lot of 'collectors' of this sort of 'old hat rubbish' out there. I could understand it more if it was pre-war metal stuff.

There's an another dealer on Ebay Mr Micmcn who's been trying to sell (for 2 years or more) quite the worst load of old rubbish in the shape of a lumpen horrible thing. Supposedly rare, well I've got one, given to me by a friend years ago. If anyone would like one (I don't think that even just the chimney is salvageable!) I'm going to put it up on Ebay with a starting price of probably 1p!

At what point does postage deserve to be reported to eBay £21.65 I'd expect it gift wrapped and hand delivered. Obviously trying to over-cook the prixe and avoid fees.

Andy B)

I sent a race exercise saddle to South Wales recently - that came out at 4kg, and cost £21.50 to go out.

Teddy Bear Kit

That a fair price to pay for a kit. :blink: :blink: :lol:

Anything in 4mm scale that bears the MOK label will generally go over the ton - mainly because it's been unavailable for over twenty years - and Dave Sharp has had a goldmine in his 7mm scale kits for years now.

There is some hope for a limited re-work of the 08 shunter kit, though.

EDIT: and now he's inviting interest from 4mm scalers in some proposed new kits :P

and the winner of the crassest bandwagon jumping of the decade? ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2eb3f54b3e

:angry:

He's got this too! :blink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nuclear-radiation-DEMRON-safety-protection-suit-cw-mask-/200587290754?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2eb3ef2882

The prices seem just a trifle OTT. :unsure:

Our Mr Gostude never seems to put anything up for auction. Afraid of a 'true' price being realized perhaps?;) If he did, perhaps 'collectors' would get a better deal as opposed to a sky-high 'fixed' prices that his section of the trade all seem to sell at.

If you were to look back to the beginning of this thread some, time ago, his name would probably be very prominent. That said there must be a lot of 'collectors' of this sort of 'old hat rubbish' out there. I could understand it more if it was pre-war metal stuff.

There's an another dealer on Ebay Mr Micmcn who's been trying to sell (for 2 years or more) quite the worst load of old rubbish in the shape of a lumpen horrible thing. Supposedly rare, well I've got one, given to me by a friend years ago. If anyone would like one (I don't think that even just the chimney is salvageable!) I'm going to put it up on Ebay with a starting price of probably 1p!

The Gaiety 'thing' has been mentioned before. No not even the chimney! The whole thing is 'collectors only' The chassis* is not bad (for the time) with a five pole motor but delicate works and often eccentric wheels. They were sold with Dublo or Tri-ang chassis. Even as a boy I thought it was horrible. It has the worst ever representation of a GWR safety valve casing. I think it's supposed to be a 27xx despite bearing the number 5700.

* Not included here.

The 3mm Society tried to stop Tri-ang TT being collectable. Obviously they failed. There are some silly prices. :blink:

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann Mk 2 TSO lunacy has reached a new all time record:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200585104637&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

£46!! :O and that is before P&P. I am sorry but this is getting utterly ridiculous now, surely Bachmann can see another run is viable.

• RMweb Gold

The 'collectables' market is a strange area to those of us outside it. Apparently totally innocent Airfix vans achieve ludicrous prices at auctions, tatty Trix Twin goes for either pence or a hundred quid depending on who is bidding and so on; recently good condition Hornby Dublo seems to have leapt upwards as well. If what I see is any guide much of it is down to a relatively small number of 'Ebay dealers' plus a couple of folk with small retail premises bidding as hard as they can to stop their perceived competition getting stuff - and then passing on what they have had to pay plus a substantial profit margin as 'but it now' prices on Ebay. Having several times watched someone spend several thousand £s at an auction on no more than a load of not too old r-t-r some of which could still be bought for less from retailers I suspect the only mugs are the folk who buy from them. The average price of a 4mm r-t-r loco at the auctions I attend varies between about £20 (Mainline, older Hornby, Lima) and £45-60 (recent/current Bachmann or Hornby) with good quality Hornby Dublo currently going above that and Wrenn going into the hundreds. From what I have seen I would be very surprised if a Triang TT 'Brit' would fetch much above =£40 in a mixed lot unless it was in absolutely mint condition. Kits, including kit built (and not necessarily well built) can go for a lot more, I recently saw a a GEM LNW 4-6-0 on a Triang chassis go for £110, and it wasn't even decently painted. The simple answer of course is not to buy from the Ebay but to let them stew in their own financial juice. BTW 'pre-war metal stuff' can command big prices - 20 grand hammer price for a Marklin 0 gauge loco means than man actually spent £23,600, on one loco.

I've been trying to get hold of some of the old Triang, or Crescent diecast single post home signals. I got a triple signal very reasonably last week, but there seems to be a bit of bidding frenzy at the moment and of course some someone spots this and decides his old tat is valuable - 30 squid and £5.00 P&P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIGNALS-BUFFER-Hornby-TRIANG-CRESCENT-DIECAST-TRAIN-OLD-/320660869369?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4aa8e090f9