EBay madness

Marcyg

Am I the only one who just doesn't see the point in offering something for sale with a reserve and a starting price of £0.99 ?

There seems to be quite a few recently - and the reserve is not set at £50 - which would be a good starting point.

There have been a couple with reserves not met - even with bids well over £50 and they just seem to restart them (or lower the reserve in the last hours of play).

Also, for example, DJH built locos (now the build may be dreadful) but a starting price of £0.99 - we all know where it will end up. I find it almost as bad as a starting price well in excess of a sensible offer - they just go round and round.

Guest Belgian

I was somewhat amazed to see this on e-bay.

The Hornby Southern Suburban 1957 train sets have recently been selling from retailers for £99-00. There was also an add-on pack of three coaches, which were offered a short while back for £54-99. The latter sold out quite quickly and one or two people missed out. Now this chancer says he "only has a few of them left" and is asking £140-00 for them! Wow . . .

JE

PS: This, I think, is worth it!

This one is one of the stock that appeared in some of Chris Nevard's photoshoot of Netherhall and Fletching for Model Rail last October. Not trying to promote this item, just letting anyone on here thinking of bidding know that this unit runs beautifully ( I know because I used it with owner's permission on N&F's last few outings at exhibition)

I did find myself a great bargain on ebay in the form of two LMS Coronation Carriages. LMS 1071 for £10 and LMS 5052 for £11.50, both being from around 2002 onwards. This is what I consider a true bargain! Considering how much I have seen some people bid for these carriages, this was certainly out of luck! Here they are:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280629852905

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280629841703

I would say I find it harder to find a good bargain nowadays on ebay. The amount of times I have kicked myself for overspending on models that I could have gotten cheaper elsewhere.

I even now have suspicions about an ebayer who could be using two accounts to sell their models. Reason for this is because their location is the same and the layouts look very similar. Although I cannot prove this, it just makes me wonder why have two accounts to sell your stuff on?

Garethp8873.

I think people have more than one ebay account for a variety of reasons, such as keeping one of the accounts 'clean' if they happen to get a 'neutral or negative' at some point.

I've noticed a few undeserved negs and neutrals, because the winning bidder is inexperienced in railway terminology, or they are not familiar with the models they are buying, and they've left unjust feedback, that clearly displays their ignorance. ( fortunately, I myself haven't had this happen to me, I might add )

Another reason someone might have more than one ebay account, is so they can 'hide' things they are selling from people they know.

When I started on ebay, I didn't realise a seller could have more than one account, and a friend sent me French / pigeon English ebay questions about an item I was selling, - it was all a huge wind-up, using another account I didn't know he had. ( I didn't and don't find it funny, just annoying ) In fact this friend definitely has THREE ebay accounts that I know of, perhaps he has more..... seems surprising to me, is it really neccessary.

I think people have more than one ebay account for a variety of reasons, such as keeping one of the accounts 'clean' if they happen to get a 'neutral or negative' at some point.

I've noticed a few undeserved negs and neutrals, because the winning bidder is inexperienced in railway terminology, or they are not familiar with the models they are buying, and they've left unjust feedback, that clearly displays their ignorance. ( fortunately, I myself haven't had this happen to me, I might add )

Another reason someone might have more than one ebay account, is so they can 'hide' things they are selling from people they know.

When I started on ebay, I didn't realise a seller could have more than one account, and a friend sent me French / pigeon English ebay questions about an item I was selling, - it was all a huge wind-up, using another account I didn't know he had. ( I didn't and don't find it funny, just annoying ) In fact this friend definitely has THREE ebay accounts that I know of, perhaps he has more..... seems surprising to me, is it really neccessary.

OR bid on their own item to raise the bid to make more money.

I have had it done to me where I have been out bidded and lost the auction and with in 15-30 minutes had a second chance offer. I have just declinded and let them relist it

OR bid on their own item to raise the bid to make more money.

I have had it done to me where I have been out bidded and lost the auction and with in 15-30 minutes had a second chance offer. I have just declinded and let them relist it

I find it rather cheeky when ebayers use more than one account to sell their stuff. This ebayer I know has had several negative comments over several months.

I find it rather cheeky when ebayers use more than one account to sell their stuff.

Weeellll don't knock that. I have my own personal ebay account and had a separate business account under another name selling jewellery and watches.

Being the scrupulous so and so that I am, the two were alway kept seperate so no shill bidding took place.

Whatever an item sold for under the business account , it sold for without any interference from me.

The business side has long since gone but I still have my own personal account and retain 100% feedback for buying and selling since heavens knows when.

Regards

David

it just makes me wonder why have two accounts to sell your stuff on?

brothers? husband + wife (partners)? granny, granddad annex? all have the same address.

Issues with the feedback system?

one for buying, one for selling?

absent minded?

hiding sales from the missus, tax man?

probably any number of other reasons - some perfectly legit - others downright suspect.

A friend who has built up a huge eBay empire selling consumer electrical items and low-priced items uses different accounts for his different types of sales. Early on in the process he said he'd observed that once his feedback reached a certain level the number of bidders started to fall (and hence the final prices of items went down) - his take on that was that people largely preferred to shop with people who didn't look like businesses, whereas once you reach feedback lists of several thousand (or whatever the figure was), it's rather obvious that you are a business. So he'd start a new account, buy a few items from people to get the feedback up a little, then start listing items on it.

I'll add the caveat that since then eBay has changed somewhat, and there are a lot of small businesses on it now, so the way people shop on it, and their perceptions, may have changed.

• Like 1

If you want a nice original slide of Looe there is one on ebay now, my link, but is it worth £102????

At risk of repeatng what I posted on a related thread, too much railway photography is undervalued and yes, it is worth it, because at least two bidders are prepared to pay in excess of £100. How do you value an unrepeatable photograph, sold with copyright?

From what I can see, it looks a good image of publishable quality (pity the lister didn't say what film stock it was shot on), well lit and of obvious historical value and offered with a starting price of £4.99.

This is interesting - 4 thousand dollars (us) for a Triang train set...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Tri-ang-R3-S-R3S-Military-Special-Train-Set-Triang-59-/370486555061?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item5642b831b5

Now, I have no idea about rarity and collectability of old stuff from that era, so can anyone offer an opinion to how appropriate that sort of price is ?

Nice that shipping is free :)

This is interesting - 4 thousand dollars (us) for a Triang train set...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/T...=item5642b831b5

Now, I have no idea about rarity and collectability of old stuff from that era, so can anyone offer an opinion to how appropriate that sort of price is ?

Nice that shipping is free :)

For some unknown reason, all the Tri-ang military series is collectable. :blink: This is a rare item for the Canadian market only and so attracts a premium and also is in excellent complete condition....

There's a list of previously realised prices at the bottom of the bumpf! :O The price is probably reasonable - in the collector's market all sorts of strange things happen. Quite a good investment for $25.95 Canadian. (It's really just a collection of some of Tri-ang's cr@ppier efforts IMHO.)