EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Any particular reason for this well overpriced insanity?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190514946171&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Okay it is a decent model (apart from the fact that to get the livery accurate involves basically a complete strip and respray as Hornby got it wrong... again!) but twice the going rate?!?

• RMweb Gold

Any particular reason for this well overpriced insanity?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Okay it is a decent model (apart from the fact that to get the livery accurate involves basically a complete strip and respray as Hornby got it wrong... again!) but twice the going rate?!?

Again a bidding battle between two people from £50. People do get carried away!:rolleyes:

Guest baldrick25

Or could one of them be a "plant"? :unsure:

Both bidders above about £50 had a near 100% recent biding record with the seller- Make of that what you will.

Guest baldrick25

Probably what you are missing is that the current second bidder had bid £72, £2 more then withdrew the bid , leaving the £70 bidder as the current high bid- The bidder with the withdrawn bid had 100% bidding record with the seller , whilst the rest had 3 to 27% bid history with the seller..Unless I have read the info incorrectly.

Again draw your own conclusions.

• RMweb Gold

Probably what you are missing is that the current second bidder had bid £72, £2 more then withdrew the bid , leaving the £70 bidder as the current high bid- The bidder with the withdrawn bid had 100% bidding record with the seller , whilst the rest had 3 to 27% bid history with the seller..Unless I have read the info incorrectly.

Now back down to £18.60, previous winning bidders £70 bid has been cancelled - methinks eBay might have smelt a rat ;)

Guest baldrick25

Now back down to £18.60, previous winning bidders £70 bid has been cancelled - methinks eBay might have smelt a rat ;)

... and still the winning bidder won and had a 100% bidding record with the seller, and a single bid... strange that.

Seems a lot of bids on the £70 price were retracted as 'wrong amount entered' - wonder why?

• RMweb Gold

... and still the winning bidder won and had a 100% bidding record with the seller, and a single bid... strange that.

Seems a lot of bids on the £70 price were retracted as 'wrong amount entered' - wonder why?

All the bidders on this list seem to have very similar ebay IDs - are they really all just 5 characters long, or is this ebay shorthand? I find it disturbing that this should be going on with a major ebay seller, who is also a major box-shifter within the model community.

All the bidders on this list seem to have very similar ebay IDs - are they really all just 5 characters long, or is this ebay shorthand? I find it disturbing that this should be going on with a major ebay seller, who is also a major box-shifter within the model community.

If you think that's somethings wrong going on, on EBay, why not just report them. I have in the past.

The name for "party bidding" is shillin or shilling. ie. a mate will keep bidding up to a price and stop, if the other bidder will not out bid him he will drop his bid. and the other man is expected to pay up at his top bid.

OzzyO.

and still the winning bidder won and had a 100% bidding record with the seller, and a single bid... strange that.

How do I find out what a bidder's record is with a seller on bidding for items?

Maurice C.

Guest baldrick25

and still the winning bidder won and had a 100% bidding record with the seller, and a single bid... strange that.

How do I find out what a bidder's record is with a seller on bidding for items?

Maurice C.

This is from memory- Here goes....

Click on the number of bids ( doesn't matter if its closed or still live)

Click on the winning bidders pseudonym

Look under the "30 day summary" on the top right , and check "Bid activity (%) with this seller".

Other very useful statistics are also visible, like the number of bid retractions.

Note its only the last 30 days..... which could be circumvented with lots of Ebay usernames. Not saying it is , or has been in any of the these instances though, just noticing a few coincedences, that's all.

• RMweb Gold

If you think that's somethings wrong going on, on EBay, why not just report them. I have in the past.

I have reported it. Ebay carefully restrict the length of message you may leave, so you cannot give proper details. As long as they get their fee, they don't care. I have in the past had some success in photographic items which were clearly false, and seen them withdrawn, e.g. a £4k lens offered for £1k, BIN and only on for 24 hrs, cash-only. Yeah, right.

So the bidder has 100% bidding record with this seller. This is nothing unusual, as in this case the bidder has made only one bid in the last 30 days and that was the one under discussion... hence one-hundred percent of his/her bids. ;)

I would be more worried that s/he (the one that withdrew the bid) has withdrawn his/her bid five times in the last six months. I have bought on ebay for about the last 10 years and have never had to withdraw a bid.

• RMweb Gold

What continues to baffle me is how the person who had & withdrew the highest bid at £72 then went on to win the item for slightly more than half that! Did neither of the high-bidders initially notice that this is a non-runner? Did they contact the seller to say why the bids were being withdrawn?

We will never know!

• RMweb Gold

The name for "party bidding" is shillin or shilling. ie. a mate will keep bidding up to a price and stop, if the other bidder will not out bid him he will drop his bid. and the other man is expected to pay up at his top bid.

OzzyO.

Which doesn't matter at all to the winning bidder provided he has not gone over what he is prepared to pay for an object (although he would have possibly been pushed to his maximum). That doesn't make it any more legal or 'right' but it's a lot harder to complain if you don't have to pay any more than you initially intended to pay as long as the bidding was legit up to that point.

• RMweb Premium

Yee gawds....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tri-ang-BLUE-GREY-Sleeping-car-Professionaly-weathered-/170623997833?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27b9fb9789

Reminds me of some of the weathered crap that the infamous Aldo1080 used to offer!!!

Yee gawds....

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item27b9fb9789

Reminds me of some of the weathered crap that the infamous Aldo1080 used to offer!!!

Good grief. Uncomfortably reminiscent of the Taunton tragedy. What do these people think they are achieving? :blink:

Yet, from the same seller, this, with a very ambitious price tag indeed!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-TRI-ANG-Hornby-R666-ARTICULATED-CAR-TRANSPORTER-/170613206863?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27b956ef4f