EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

My other random searches are for Cross Country and East Midlands stuff.

This guy is having a larf with a Hornby 153.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2792-East-Midlands-Trains-Class-153-DMU-153374-DCC-Ready-Super-Detail-OO/202136891751?hash=item2f104c3167:g:8oQAAOSw1QpaJrO5

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, but no thanks.

(With thanks to the DEMU forum, as I missed this one as my PC was ill and I wasn't doing my usual yellow trash trawl) 

If you really wanted something yellow and exceedingly overpriced, try this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Bachmann-Network-Rail-Class-150-1-950-Track-Recording-Unit-/112685670191?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=n9uKL4Z4LhWoCmamlWydJCJO0Eg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

No extra roof detail (and there's quite a lot on the current 950001), badly fitted generator doors, missing/bent window frames and paint on the glazing..........

Heck - even Olivia's have a half decent crack at it and sound fitted for less than £500............

Cheers,

Mick

£920?????????????

You must be wrong Mick, ebay is always a bargain!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2792-East-Midlands-Trains-Class-153-DMU-153374-DCC-Ready-Super-Detail-OO/202136891751?hash=item2f104c3167:g:8oQAAOSw1QpaJrO5

Cheers,

Mick

But it quite clearly says in the description, that one is the DCC Ready, Super Detail version, that's obviously why it costs so much more...  

EDIT to add: You could have the non-super detail, non-DCC version for just £124.50 if you prefer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-KIT-BUILT-BR-REGIONAL-RAILWAYS-CLASS-153-DMU-52311-mv/371220354933?hash=item566e751775:m:mkCY6oLAPy6LsgV03Gljopw

I did notice a Wessex black/gold one on there the other day for £89.99 B.I.N, much less than that version usually goes for, and around the same price as the "normal" liveries, which seems a good deal.

As for the 150, really?!!  I noticed it when it was at £520, and even that was too much I thought!  Maybe time to churn out a few yourself and pop them on ebay, Mick, it'd fund your next few years worth of yellow stuff...

Edited by JDW
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Mick

e

Yes, but look how good it is at taking gradients.

• RMweb Gold

quote from the listing:

"THE BOX IS MINT WITH MAYBE A CORNER DENT"

Well, does it have a corner dent or not? Perhaps seller is anticipating damage in the post.

• RMweb Gold

Oh look!  It's a ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-OO-GAUGE-KIT-SCRATCH-BUILT-NETWORK-RAIL-SANDITE-VEHICLE-QVX-ADB975462/222723177425?hash=item33db55fbd1:g:i9MAAOSw~HBaDuUS

..well, it's a... it's an... erm, well, you can see what it is.  It's one of those.  Clearly.

Re-listed, £10 cheaper, go on Mick, you know you want to!

Mike.

Re-listed, £10 cheaper, go on Mick, you know you want to!

Oddly enough, the seller, Ellis Clark Trains, had a small consignment of HO German stuff a couple of years ago. I picked up a Roco DR 01.5 for £138 (RRP somewhere over £200) and thought I was doing alright. Either that, or they had an off day.

• RMweb Gold

At least the box isn't suffering from Mazak rot.....

Cheers,

Mick

I've got a rotten one in a box which I didn't think was worth a lot more!

Mike.

The madness keeps on coming.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2727-ROYAL-SCOT-PATRIOT-CLASS-R-E-M-E-SPARES-REPAIR/253317637828?hash=item3afae866c4:g:mn4AAOSw4Z5aK~5j

The description is amusing as well!

Edited by leopardml2341

You should see the prices of his other items.

His philosophy seems to be buy them at a cheap price, take the body off the chassis, then sell each individual bit for what he paid for the complete boxed loco.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone buy these exorbitantly overpriced boxes? :O

I can understand it with vintage collectibles (sort of), but modern stuff?  :scratchhead:

Surely a D5512 without mazak rot is collectible.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

You should see the prices of his other items.

His philosophy seems to be buy them at a cheap price, take the body off the chassis, then sell each individual bit for what he paid for the complete boxed loco.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I needed a good laugh this morning.

Does anyone buy these exorbitantly overpriced boxes? :O

I can understand it with vintage collectibles (sort of), but modern stuff?  :scratchhead:

Amazingly enough people do buy his stuff, check out his ratings.

Mike.

Not surprised at the prices, you can't get spares from Hornby et al and its a sellers market !!

Not surprised at the Craftsman kit price either . It's is a complete kit , and is no longer available, with better detail parts included, the Mashima motor alone are going for nearly £25 (if you are daft enough to pay it)!!

• RMweb Gold

Question the value breakup merchants have in ebay.

If you consider say £120 Bachmann Stanier Crab, after discount...

If you sold it as is..

£ 4.50 postage,

£14.40 in ebay fees,

£ 4.20 in PayPal

£ 0.00 let’s assume you can find a box, sellotape and walk to the post office.

£23.10 to sell it, you get £96.90 after your done.

But if you sell the bits at £120

£30 body

£30 tender

£40 chassis

£20 box and detail pack.

You now have 4x the amount of postage, and faff about wrapping etc.. £18..,

this leaves you £83.40 after your done, not really worth it ?

You could pass on the £4.50 to your seller... but then all of the above components start looking a lot less attractive, especially the box.

When you consider a Compound at £79 from Hattons, has the exact same tender as the £120 Stanier crab.. which makes more sense to break up ?

I for one picked up some compounds as seconds from Warley, just for the tenders, at £40 each I felt they were a bargain, I can use the tenders as spares, the chassis I will unscrew the cylinders and remove the excess valve gear and use these chassis to replace the old triang 4-4-0 chassis I have under some kits, the wheel size may be wrong for a kit built North Staffs 4-4-0, but so was the Triang one, at least now I have a decent motor, chassis and wheels.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1