Model Railway Partwork - Your Model Railway Village

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

Having spotted this thread earlier today, curiosity got the better of me and I sent my son into town with enough money to buy three if anywhere had any left. He's just come back and said "there were only 2 left in the shop". "Don't worry" he added... "I got you Issue 1 of this one as well - it comes with a Star Trek Enterprise".

How the Hell am I going to fit THAT into the layout???

Anyone wanna swap the USS Enterprise for a maroon Mk1?

Pete. :no:

You could maybe model the town of Vulcan in Alberta, Canada, that has a model of the USS Enterprise outside the tourist information building :)

• RMweb Gold

I picked up the last 3 from smiths in berwick upon tweed earlier (no i didnt make a special 300 mile round trip there!), hopefully get another couple from tesco or asda while im here too

Quite impressed with the look of the coach, as suggested im going to paint the roof but i'll also add an orange cantrail stripe, modern OHLE flashes and i will have a nice rake of coaches to run behind me WCR 33 or tornado, i can use my nrm support coach as the brake end

Given how many have been bought just by people here, then Hatchette will be rubbing there hands with glee thinking they have a winner on their hands.

However, I cannot believe that anyone here will buy every issue and complete the layout and we're all modellers. The likelihood of a non-modeller doing so are so slim as to be non-existent. There are supposed to be 121 issues and the total cost is over £1k. It just won't happen. It will fizzle out before it gets to Issue 10.

steve

Absolutely unbelieveable.

You edit the post to remove the offending word, then claim you never used the word in the first place. Well I am sorry, but you DID label people greedy for buying in bulk. I am sure I am not the only one who saw it .  And yet it is 7013 who apologises, and he didn't even say it !!!

I suggest you go back to page 6 of this thread a reread my message and point out where I used the word "greedy". My post has no edits on it, so I'm unsure where you think the edit is? Or why you think I've labled people "greedy" when I was merely pointing out that you can't blame folk for putting them on ebay when there are so few left in the shops

Unknown but I'll see if anything about that appears on the L-R Forum. A bit daft if they do just supply a brake second unless the supplied rolling stock is supposed to be for a Marchandise-Voyageurs.

If the 'sell' is a train set and not an accurate scale model of something, why would they bother to tool more than just one coach. A coach is a coach! The UK layout on Hachette's website shows 2 coaches, but there doesn't seem to be anything that suggests the 2 coaches are different from each other.

I have now had time to place mine on the test track - perhaps not the most friction-free stock around, but my Dapol Class 22 walks away with a rake of eight, and would take many more. No significant 'wobble' or 'roll' either.

I then opened one up :-

three screws - one central and one under each close-coupling unit - and the floor separates from the rest of the coach;

a steel plate weight sits over lugs on the floor;

the ends are moulded with the chassis - easy for the application of black paint - and the underframe trussing is moulded solid;

the sides are nice and thin and separate from the roof quite easily - locating pins and lugs in slots;

the glazing is neatly and effectively bonded to the sides - locating lugs plus horizontal and vertical thin lines of glue or heat-bonding; however, the careful and patient introduction from both ends of a scalpel blade, followed by a very fine screwdriver blade, successfully separated glazing from side without damage;

the glazing is recessed on the rear and a 'prismatic' effect is evident, (similar to the old Airfix RTR Stanier coaches).

All in all, I am very pleased with my purchases.

If, like me, you want long rakes of coaches for 'watching the trains go by', painting, lining and lettering will produce perfectly acceptable results.

If I find that the solid underframe trussing offends my eye, (unlikely), I will remove everything below the solebars with a razor saw and fit mouldings and castings from the likes of Southern Pride and ABS Models.

To suggest that, for the price, this coach is poor is frankly laughable. Stock up whilst you can!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The roof looks a lot better than many Bachmann ones, with subtly modelled welds. It certainly lacks those horrid "ribs" on most of Bachmann's offerings.

For me the great advantage is that it's an SK; something that the original Hornby range of BSK and CK lacked.

I don't think those on here are greedy in purchasing these coaches, as I imagine the great majority of us actually want to use them, not sell them on.

It may not even get that far. W.H. Smith's usual policy regarding partworks is to stop stocking them after seven issues.....

My local newsagent told me today that these magazines are on a 'sale or return' basis to them up to issue Six.

Issue Four says there will be something in it about the Fowler Jinty and there is mention of a special offer on this loco 'Coming soon'. Wonder what price this loco will be.

I also happened to stumble over another Four coaches this afternoon, where else can you get a rake of 12 for less than £50?

Should post and say they are available from WHS,ASDA and local convenience stores at £3.99- and One Stop in Hampshire/Dorset anyway!

Hope they sell for £1- teach the greedy people!

Steve

Hi I have looked on E-bay and they are being sold by newsagents that are trying to reach people that find it hard to get to the shops and the price is the cover price plus postage.

Kind regards

Andy

I suggest you go back to page 6 of this thread a reread my message and point out where I used the word "greedy". My post has no edits on it, so I'm unsure where you think the edit is? Or why you think I've labled people "greedy" when I was merely pointing out that you can't blame folk for putting them on ebay when there are so few left in the shops

I was not born yesterday, one can also delete posts. The fact is that when 7013 made his post, I went back through to see who had said people making multiple purchases were greedy, and the only post I could see was made by you. I was very careful to name you  correctly.My only mistake was not to quote your post. I am not the only person to have seen it either. There is no one worse than someone who can't apologies for their uncalled for remarks apart from those who then deny they made such remarks. Now you can carry on protesting your innocence over the matter, but the fact is many people saw your post, some were offended by your accusation, and you have lost any credibility you may have had..

I was not born yesterday, one can also delete posts. The fact is that when 7013 made his post, I went back through to see who had said people making multiple purchases were greedy, and the only post I could see was made by you. I was very careful to name you  correctly.My only mistake was not to quote your post. I am not the only person to have seen it either. There is no one worse than someone who can't apologies for their uncalled for remarks apart from those who then deny they made such remarks. Now you can carry on protesting your innocence over the matter, but the fact is many people saw your post, some were offended by your accusation, and you have lost any credibility you may have had..

I can clearly state I haven't deleted any posts and also that I have no problem with applogising for any offence intential or otherwise, however I never used the word "greedy".

So far I have tried a few local newsagents - no luck

Asda - Burton not in stock

Asda - Derby not a stock item

Asda - Sinfin dont like answering their telephone, well they answer they just hang up

Asda - Tamworth Ventura park SOLD OUT, I bagged last two :)

Morrisons - Swadlincote "not likely we will stock it"

Sainsbury's - Swadlincote not one they stock

Tesco's - Burton shows as an item they will stock but not had any

Tesco's - Ashbye not stocked.

Update Friday 30th

Smith's - Ashby "we've a good stock"

Smith's - Burton good supply

Pacific231G, on 29 Aug 2013 - 16:37, said:snapback.png

Unknown but I'll see if anything about that appears on the L-R Forum. A bit daft if they do just supply a brake second unless the supplied rolling stock is supposed to be for a Marchandise-Voyageurs.

If the 'sell' is a train set and not an accurate scale model of something, why would they bother to tool more than just one coach. A coach is a coach! The UK layout on Hachette's website shows 2 coaches, but there doesn't seem to be anything that suggests the 2 coaches are different from each other.

You may well be right and the fact that it's a 2ème classe/fourgon has been commented on unfavourably by our French opposite numbers. One theory is that it's so modellers don't hoover up all of the presumably somehat loss leader part one just to get a cheap rake of coaches - as if any of us would  :nono: 

For this particular coach the change in tooling required to change it to a  full 2ème classe would actually be minimal- just a slight change in the glazing, an extra section of seats, removal of the red tail lamp and a few changes to the printed lettering. Whether they'll actually bother is a moot point and I don't know to what extent sales of individual editions- so long as the newsagents stock them- are affected by people cherry picking for specific items. At the full price of €8.99 that would be profitable.

Because a model railway is a series of individual models this does make it different from other partworks to build the Titanic, Bismark or whatever so I wonder whether they're using a slightly different business plan.

The clip together French-Italian station building Hachette supplied in edition 2 was fairly well received but the track is apparently a very basic steel type.

• RMweb Premium

18b and Steveb860 can I respectfully ask for a truce? My original posting was a response to a poster calling it greedy to purchase a number of coaches. My error was to put ' people' instead of person and I did not quote the posting. Sadly the person who called it greedy may have deleted their accusation they know who they are and obviously do not have the courage of their convictions.

All that said the coaches are good value for money and have sold by the wagon ( or coach) load and we modellers have pounced on a rich vein. If there are profiteers who want to try and make a profit so be it but anyone daft enough to buy one off eBay.... Well it's their call.

So far I have tried a few local newsagents - no luck

Asda - Burton not in stock

Asda - Derby not a stock item

Asda - Sinfin dont like answering their telephone, well they answer they just hang up

Morrisons - Swadlincote "not likely we will stock it"

Sainsbury's - Swadlincote not one they stock

Tesco's - Burton shows as an item they will stock but not had any

Tesco's - Ashby not stocked.

Down to smudgers tomorrow!

Thanks for that, it will save me (and mates) several wasted visits around Derby and surroundings!

Raked-in three from Asda Minworth last night, and a further trio from Co-op Reddicap this evening.  The waste paper/ card containers are filling rapidly.

Archived