Dapol working signals review

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I received the usual "we have them in stock" emails from Hattons for both the GWR and LMS home and distant signals this morning. The GWR home email was timed at 09.56 and by lunchtime Hattons were out of stock!

Looks like Dapol's onto a winner with these. I'm still waitng to see/hear whether the motorising bits that fit under the baseboard are the same as (i.e.no bigger/longer) than the N gauge versions. Can anyone help with pictures yet?

• RMweb Gold

Picked my 4mm GWR Home up yesterday.

Am contemplating how to extend the operating link to also move a micro switch, to supply Green/Red LED indication to the control panel.

I missed these before, thought they were only N and I didn't realise they were lit..

What a FANTASTIC development and at a good price too.

Dave - Dapol deserves huge congratulations for this, and I hope these products continue to sell well with an ever increasing product range.

Very well done..

I have just acquired my first batch of 00 gauge GWR semaphores, having pre-ordered them from Hattons, and I think they look really good, so Dapol are to be congratulated for producing them and filling a market need. I am now trying to figure out the best way of operating them- not sure which way to go yet ( my layout is DCC and I have a separate control panel controlling my points via push button switches and accessory decoders). One question I have at this stage is whether it might be possible to control two signals from one switch. I am thinking of the situation where I have a home signal and its corresponding distant controlled by the same switch , so that when the home clears the distant will also clear and when the home signal reverts to danger, the distant will also revert to caution. Ideally there would be also manual control of the distant to keep it at caution, where the train has already passed it, as would happen in real life ( I know this from having done real life signalling training). I wonder if anyone has any ideas/suggestions?

• RMweb Gold

One question I have at this stage is whether it might be possible to control two signals from one switch. I am thinking of the situation where I have a home signal and its corresponding distant controlled by the same switch , so that when the home clears the distant will also clear and when the home signal reverts to danger, the distant will also revert to caution. Ideally there would be also manual control of the distant to keep it at caution, where the train has already passed it, as would happen in real life ( I know this from having done real life signalling training). I wonder if anyone has any ideas/suggestions?

The only situation where I have come across a Home & Distant coming off (more or less) together is with Intermediate Block (I.B.) Signals where a single lever or switch works both but I believe even then there is a delay as the Home is proved 'off' before the Distant clears - although this hardly matters on a model railway of course. But one advantage of some circuits used in this situation is that the Distant would come off irrespective of the position of the train - i.e. you don't need to bother about the train having passed the Distant - so that's one bit of circuitry I don't think would be essential for you unless you find a simple answer. (and in some circuits the Distant would go back when passed).

• RMweb Gold

Ideally there would be also manual control of the distant to keep it at caution, where the train has already passed it, as would happen in real life ( I know this from having done real life signalling training). I wonder if anyone has any ideas/suggestions?

This depends on track circuiting, it's acceptable for a distant to clear after the train has passed it if there are no controls to prevent it, which is typical of most simple layouts, it's often down to whether the signalman can see if the train has passed the distant before pulling it.

I'm interested to see how these might be operated using DCC. My friend has ordered a pair and yours truly will get roped into wiring them. From the reviews I have seen, operation seems dead simple using a 16VAC supply (I have an old cheap DC controller) and momentary push buttons. I expect I will buy some eventually.

John

It will be interesting to see what other signals Dapol will produce. I definitely need at least one bracket signal and a combined home/distant would be nice (I forget the technical name for them). It may well be asking too much, but one of my station starting signals is on a bend after the platform end and is osbcured to approaching drivers by a footbridge. In real life of course a repeater signal would be provided on the platform, or possibly an extra height signal with two arms. It all depends on how realistic one wants to be !

Picked up the first of our 5 LMS homes required for a new Scottish OO project yesterday and I have to say we are very impressed indeed. Harburn had also sold out of the LMS/BR ones instantly (note to management, GWR are not going to be very popular in Scotland order 10x as many LMS ones next time Graham). Have to agree that Dapol are onto a winner and hope that others follow?

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

barely 2 days after selling out of the OO gauge signals, we have received another batch (both LMS & GWR) in today, so please let your local Dapol stockist know that you want them so they can order.

Apologies for being out of stock on these (yes it was only 2 days) but it went against our stated aims of keeping stock in at all times.

cheers

dave

.......As a matter of interest I do wonder just how often on how many layouts semaphore signals are likely to be out of sight of their operator? ......

If you mean the Signalman, on my layout Penlan, in it's previous life as Hartwell, based on the track plan at Hartington, the (Hartington) Signal box's location on the platform at 1:1 scale gave it a good view either way as it was on the outside of the curve through the station.

When the layout was built the curve was reversed and the Signal box was thus on the inside of the curve and basically all signals in one direction where obscured by the station buildings. When I took over the layout, altered and renamed it to Penlan, I removed the Signal Box and placed it (well a new Saxby & Farmer one to be honest) on the outside of the bend so all signals were visible from the Signal box - I felt happier with that, more prototypical !!!.

If you mean the operator as in the Layout's operators, then all signals are visible from the main control panel, however there's a Home signal which is obscured by a tree from the 'operator' at one of the fiddle yards, this signal lets them know train required, ready to accept or just the main operators waiting for you...... 'pull your finger...'.

There are plans to relocated this Home signal to a better/visible position for the fiddle yard operative, or be combined with a LED light in the Fiddle Yard to alert the operator.

Sorry I'm nearly a month behind with this reply, other activities have proved to be a diversion.....

On the OP - Well done Dapol for supplying working signals. From acorns, mighty oaks will grow, eventually.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

Mention in this Topic has been made of the Repeater Signals in Signal boxes for 'out of sight' signals, so for those who may not know what repeater signals in the 1:1 scale Signal box look like, this is an old GWR one, the three aspects are shown, I'm sure further explanations will follow.....

OK, not brillient photo's, but it's dark here.....

post-6979-0-33341500-1339250937.jpgpost-6979-0-85627500-1339250940.jpgpost-6979-0-58314900-1339250943.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

barely 2 days after selling out of the OO gauge signals, we have received another batch (both LMS & GWR) in today, so please let your local Dapol stockist know that you want them so they can order.

Apologies for being out of stock on these (yes it was only 2 days) but it went against our stated aims of keeping stock in at all times.

cheers

dave

Really chuffed that these have gone so well Dave.....catenary next?

• RMweb Gold

For those who may not know what repeater signals in the 1:1 scale Signal box looks like, this is an old GWR one, the three aspects are shown, I'm sure further explanations will follow.....

And the early pattern one at that - not many of that sort left around by the late 1960s let alone later. The positions are pretty clear for 'on' and 'off' - 'wrong' basically means that the repeater contacts on the signal are not proving the arm to be in either the 'on' position or the 'off' position which means having another go with the lever (perhaps after first adjusting the signal wire if there happened to be a wire adjuster for that particular signal) in order to get the signal arm to where it was supposed to be.

Repeaters were provided for signal arms which were not visible from the signal 'box and although such provision was not universal it was normally the practice to provide repeaters for stop signals which couldn't be seen.