Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

Top quality work!

"The Railway" on channel 4 last night had a small piece on the HST measurement train showing all the equipment on board. I thought of this thread when watching. Probably still available on 4O if you are interested.

Cheers

It was actually Channel 5 not 4, so it'll be on 5OD.

• RMweb Premium

Mick what colour did you use as the undercoat? It does not look like a straight yellow. Does it give better top coat finish?

Hi Jaz,

For the "main" coat of primer, I usually use white, grey is better at showing up any marks/lines/blemishes. I only apply it where I need to in a very thin layer.

Don't trust the photos of the yellow stuff, the pic of 1256 is under the club lighting that has a horrible colour cast.

As for yellow - there are many shades.................... and varying the undercoat helps to achieve that. In this batch, I've got 977985/977986 that run as a fixed pair - they are very different shades!

I normally use Precision Network yellow, but for 986, I'll add some white to it.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Update on 99666/977986

Blanks of 30 thou styrene are glued in.

post-408-0-74719800-1382571216_thumb.jpg

Any raised edges are scraped away

post-408-0-85944800-1382571295_thumb.jpg

Filler is added around the edges - my preferred filler is Squadron Products white putty.

post-408-0-19137000-1382571359_thumb.jpg

Then sanded and primed for the first fix.

post-408-0-61346400-1382571453_thumb.jpg

Prepared for second fill.

post-408-0-07352700-1382571504_thumb.jpg

Second fill added, just waiting to dy and be sanded down.

post-408-0-80493700-1382571829_thumb.jpg

A chance purchase the other day and there'll be an addition to my DRS 37 fleet to join 37419/423/601. Minimal work will let me model any of 37402/405/409/425. I already have 409 nameplates, but fancy 425 "Concrete Bob/Sir Robert McAlpine" with it's one odd buffer, but then a part of me is saying I want an un-named 37..............

Because of the new addition, I've delayed spraying up my DRS20/3's until the 37 is stripped and ready for a coat of blue. Incidentally, for these three, rather than using Railmatch or Precision DRS blue, I'm going to use Humbrol Matt 104 Oxford Blue (DRS blue is listed as Oxford blue).

Also in the paintshop is my second DBS red tug - it'll become 60062 "Stainless Pioneer". It looks a bit "hump-backed" at the mo, but like the Mk2's above, that's distortion in the pics. The finishing touches of the black grilles will be added as I also spray the black onto the 37 and 20/3's.

post-408-0-80646800-1382572275_thumb.jpg

I also have a sectorisation triple grey loco being prepared for use with my yellow stuff - any guesses?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

Nice work Mick, good to see another red tug appearing. Reminds me I should get the yellow panels on my 007 done.

I prefer the Humbrol Oxford blue to Railmatch DRS blue, it's darker and a good match for the shade used by Bachmann.

jo

• RMweb Premium

A chance purchase the other day and there'll be an addition to my DRS 37 fleet to join 37419/423/601. Minimal work will let me model any of 37402/405/409/425. I already have 409 nameplates, but fancy 425 "Concrete Bob/Sir Robert McAlpine" with it's one odd buffer, but then a part of me is saying I want an un-named 37..............

Just read a report that 37402 is now named 'Stephen Middlemore 29.12.1954 - 8.6.2013'

So that just leaves 37405 as the only un-named DRS 37/4.

• RMweb Premium

Just to prove I do stuff other than yellow.

Quite pleased how these have come out from the spraybooth. A quick phone pic.

60062, 20305 - (cab only loose into place)

374xx, 20309

post-408-0-01486900-1382742086_thumb.jpg

Still plenty of work top do -  touching up any overspray, detail paintwork, lights for the 20/3's, nose mods for the 37/4, etc, etc

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

Um......Mick......(Huston).....I think we have a problem.........

you are aware they are not well........yellow.                                                                      :jester:

Looking good, need close ups to search for a flaw somewhere.......

Do you mix your paints with a generic thinner? Or do you always try to use the specific thinner? Considering the amount of practise you get and that you are trying to get a specific colour, your thoughts on this would be of interest. e.g. have you , or indeed anyone else, noticed any good or bad combinations.

• RMweb Premium

Um......Mick......(Huston).....I think we have a problem.........

you are aware they are not well........yellow.                                                                      :jester:

Sssshhh! I think I've got away with it. :secret:

Do you mix your paints with a generic thinner? Or do you always try to use the specific thinner? Considering the amount of practise you get and that you are trying to get a specific colour, your thoughts on this would be of interest. e.g. have you , or indeed anyone else, noticed any good or bad combinations.

I'm using HMG enamel thinner (HMG make Railmatch paints and a friend of mine picked up a 1 litre tin direct from their factory - it's only about 45 mins away on a good day) I use it to thin Railmatch, Precision and Humbrol with no adverse problems. The best tip I was given for airbrushing was to make the paint the consistency of milk - and no, not the watery skimmed version.

Cheers,

Mick

I have a Railfreight Distribution gronk which conveniently has yellow rods and black buffer beams which is tempting me with a similar distraction, especially since the new layout is set Birmingham, ish.

As for the triple grey on a test comment the other day, I had a thought, 73107?

jo

• RMweb Premium

As for the triple grey on a test comment the other day, I had a thought, 73107?

jo

Give that man a prize! It'll be a Lima model with just the moulded handrails replaced - I quite like the Lima moulding. It won't be powered as I'm planning (at the moment) to have it sitting at the back of a 37 hauled set.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Sounds tasteful!

Many Lima mouldings were actually a lot nicer than people gave them credit for, and once detailed up seem to blend in quite nicely with more recent stuff.

Wasn't it the 73 that had fantastic fine moulding in the body side grills that everyone in the 1990s and early 2000s hacked out and replaced with a crude etch that yes, ticked the box of being etched, but looked much less like the fine mesh on a 73 than the lovely Lima moulding?

jo

• Like 1

Definitely were not A one...even if they were.

Sounds tasteful!

Many Lima mouldings were actually a lot nicer than people gave them credit for, and once detailed up seem to blend in quite nicely with more recent stuff.

Wasn't it the 73 that had fantastic fine moulding in the body side grills that everyone in the 1990s and early 2000s hacked out and replaced with a crude etch that yes, ticked the box of being etched, but looked much less like the fine mesh on a 73 than the lovely Lima moulding?

jo

• RMweb Premium

Having found a good reason to get the DBS red back out (08907), I have another.......

Just finishing off the details for my repaint of 60062 "Stainless Pioneer" and I'm about to paint the roof mounted NRN roof pods black, as per previous refurb/DBS repaints. However, searching my low level pics of 60062 and they don't stand out as on other locos. First thought is that they are now painted red.

A quick search of flickr, finds a good roof shot of 60062 on it's way to the naming ceremony - complete with covered up nameplate. The NRN pods have been removed during the recent heavy repair.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andythomas5910/9042360147/sizes/h/in/photostream/

This shows the NRN pods fitted to 60011

post-408-0-35161100-1382916045_thumb.jpg

I haven't checked back through the Class 60 refurb program to find out which was the first loco to have the NRN pod removed, but I know that my previous DBS red repaint 60054 has them - phew! So for anyone wishing to repaint a 60 in DBS red - have a look if it's fitted with NRN pods

It's probably going to be a simple job to remove,but it means that I will have to touch up the red.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford