Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

After leaving wife and daughter hard at work serving up Xmas fayre, (I did help them for a couple of hours though), I had some spare time and decided to photograph a few of my yellow fleet for a DEMU Society article.

At the end, I lined up most of them for a group shot..

post-408-0-16413700-1387997229_thumb.jpg

There's about five missing from the pic and 8 more on the bench in various stages of work.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I hope your drinking that with cola and tia maria.

Haven't got the Tia Maria. I usually take that with vodka and Baileys.................................... Now that is mellow...

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

You've been very quiet...I hope you have been sorting out trains......and not slid under the modelling table in to a vodka induced puddle...............

A bit of both.....

Hopefully, pics later - but not of the puddle...........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Silver Machines.......

60066 is virtually done - just awaiting the numbers and Drax/Biomass branding. I'll probably refit the handrails and glazing and then store it until the transfers are available.

post-408-0-65955300-1388435296_thumb.jpg

Cruel closeup of the Replica cant lining.

post-408-0-20866300-1388435312_thumb.jpg

67029 amd 82146 are also ready for re-assembly with glazing and handrails.

post-408-0-79582600-1388435419_thumb.jpg

The black cab surround had me thinking for awhile until I remembered that someone had used black marker pen for small details. Masking applied and vertical lines drawn on.

post-408-0-41920900-1388435551_thumb.jpg

Similarly for the horizontal bars and this is the result.

post-408-0-71706500-1388435592.jpg

Just a tiny amount of ink bleed to clean up.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

Hi Mick, Happy New Year.

Lovely work. Hope you don’t have to wait too long for the transfers, it would be good to see 066 finished.

I just wondered how you found the Replica cant rail stripes? In the past I have used the Fox ones so wondered how they compare.

Many thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick, Happy New Year.

Lovely work. Hope you don’t have to wait too long for the transfers, it would be good to see 066 finished.
I just wondered how you found the Replica cant rail stripes? In the past I have used the Fox ones so wondered how they compare.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Grimley,

Hoping that Precision will be doing the transfers soon. Probably needs a gentle reminder!

The Replica stripes are thinner and therefore more fragile than Fox stripes. I only apply about a maximum 4" length in one go and don't go near it until the next day. As soon as I'm happy with the stripe, I give it a quick spray with Klear varnish to seal it.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Heres one from the "paint it yellow" brigade...

Picked it up froma local model shop 2nd hand box, an absolute dogs dinner of a repaint, looks to be hand painted straight over the original colour!

139FE23E-7636-4AAD-9781-7AA9B956C198.jpg

I may have a go at stripping it and possibly repaint it into dcr green, any recommendation to what to use to get the paint off?

If not i'll do a body swap, the reason i picked it has a dcc fitted chassis on it for the princley sum of £25!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Heres one from the "paint it yellow" brigade...

I may have a go at stripping it and possibly repaint it into dcr green, any recommendation to what to use to get the paint off?

I think "dip it in yellow" is a better description!

I usually use Phoenix Precision Superstrip - it's not cheap, but is very good and reusable.

The other option you might try is to find a body for it - there are those that separate the chassis and body from the Hornby loco and use the chassis underneath Lima shells.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Remove your glazing and drop it in brake fluid if you have any kicking around. :)

Mark

tried that once.......

c87952bb.jpg

i'm watching a couple of 31 bodies on ebay at the mo

Edited by big jim

Hiya Big Jim.

I have found model strip will take off the 'Hobbiest' applied paint and certain Tampo printed parts of the original livery application ( as well ass anything applied with "Super Glue"! ).

I always use Precision Paint Stripper to remove all the Paint to start again especially if the base livery is going to be lighter or lots of detail will be added before the repaint.

HTH.

Mike