New OO gauge Class 73

• 2 weeks later...

Richard- Did Dapol indicate when the 73's would be arriving?

Thanks for posting the photos too

There was a projection display of all the liveries they are producing, whilst watching I was told that the liveries are all approved and we can expect the 73s early in 2015.

I didn't ask.  They were occupied with someone asking about when the 68 was coming out.  There were no livery samples on display so I guess it's probably about 2nd quarter next year before it hits the shops.

What was being said out of interest?

They couldn't really give any idea of when the 68 was coming out.  The blokes response was 'currently we don't know'.  

Not surprised really as its early days for that one.  Seemed to be all the guy wanted to know, just walked off after he got an answer.  I noticed quite a few people at Bachmann, Dapol and others asking for specific timescales on models and paying very little interest to the nice stuff they had behind glass.

Edited by richard w

Well, I did ask, and was told April or May.

The model on show looked fantastic, but, of course, I couldn't help noticing that the NEM pockets were moulded into the bogie frames, thus preventing the use of Roco or Fleischmann close couplers.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. In the photo' of the underside in the previous post, 262, unfortunately, I've seen what looks ominously like a pair of traction tyres on the trailing wheel-set. If this is right, then it is most disappointing. A step in the wrong direction.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi. In the photo' of the underside in the previous post, 262, unfortunately, I've seen what looks ominously like a pair of traction tyres on the trailing wheel-set. If this is right, then it is most disappointing. A step in the wrong direction.

All the best,

Market65.

Definitely look like traction tyres :banghead:  :nono:

I've just e-mailed the following to Dapol:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have just seen a picture of the wheels on your pre-production Class 73 that was on display at Warley.  According to this picture, the model will have traction tyres on at least one wheelset.  Can I just ask the following:

1) Is it the case that the released version of this model will have traction tyres?

2) If yes, is it too late to leave them off the final model?  They are incredibly unpopular with modellers and shouldn't be present on a model designed in 2014.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Edited by BR(S)

All the best,

Market65.

It sure looks like rubber tyres on the bogie's rear wheel sets.

Cheers

Tom

• RMweb Gold

Hi, BR(S), and tomstaf. Thank you for looking at the photo' and concluding  that the wheel-set would seem to be fitted with tyres. It would seem that we have a very disappointing development here, with what are almost certainly traction tyres...

It will be interesting to see if you receive a reply to your email BR(S), I hope that you do, and that Dapol give a positive reply that the production models will not have the dreaded tyres.

All the best,

Market65.

Has Dapol produced anything else over the last couple of years that has appeared with traction tyres? Hoping that this is some pre-production anomaly that won't feature on shop-stock. Possible traction tyres aside, it certainly looks a stunner.

Accidentally clicked on the tread rather than the new posts button and couldn't help but chuckle at the 2nd pos, quoted below.

Clearly this has been in the planning stages for sometime then given the close timing of the retailers annoucements for special editions.

Long overdue. Good to hear modellers wont be waiting for 2.5 years.

Nope be nearer 3!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There's an update on the Dapol website for both JA and JB guises

The spec includes:

Highly detailed body with many etched parts including grills and handrails
Finely applied livery and etched mane plates where appropriate
Cast and profiled wheels with chemical darkening
Sprung Buffers
All-wheel drive and pick up
Independent cab and selectable directional lighting with independent DCC control of front/rear lights
Cast Chassis for added weight and improved traction with no traction Tyres
5 Pole Skew wound motor with twin flywheels for controlled pulling power
DCC Ready with a 21 pin socket on board
DCC Fitted and sound fitted options available
NEM Pockets as standard
Accessory bag with optional fitted components

Cheers

There's an update on the Dapol website for both JA and JB guises

The spec includes:

Highly detailed body with many etched parts including grills and handrails
Finely applied livery and etched mane plates where appropriate
Cast and profiled wheels with chemical darkening
Sprung Buffers
All-wheel drive and pick up
Independent cab and selectable directional lighting with independent DCC control of front/rear lights
Cast Chassis for added weight and improved traction with no traction Tyres
5 Pole Skew wound motor with twin flywheels for controlled pulling power
DCC Ready with a 21 pin socket on board
DCC Fitted and sound fitted options available
NEM Pockets as standard
Accessory bag with optional fitted components

Cheers

Also shows that there will be sound fitted versions available, but the usual internet retailers are not yet showing these, as far as I can see. I wonder whose sound chip they will use - I hope it is Howes. Usually I would say legobiffoman, but Howes is superior in this case IMHO, simply from the number of functions and especially the flashover sound effect..

One question.... what is the real difference between the JA and JB versions?? (my sincere apologies if it is a very obvius reason)

The first six were JA and the rest JB. Later Class 73s had a little more grunt and a slightly higher top speed, 90 instead of 80. Visibly, there were some small detail differences. I remember reading that the first six were originally to have become Class 72 but under TOPS, they became Class 73/0.

Edited by Pete 75C

Visually, JA / 73/0 have an extra jumper under the driver's windscreen and an extra window near the trailing cab in the photos in post 273 above. The grilles at that end are different too. There were also some differences in the under body equipment and minor bodyside differences on the other sides.

I note from those photos that the slight dimples in the cab roof profiles picked up in earlier posts still appear to be present.