New OO gauge Class 73

They'll need traction tyres.  They'll only have 1:76 of 600hp available on diesel.  Something about skin not coming off a custard   ;)

The Hornby version (old Lima) had plain wheels and would not pull untill I added masses of weight.

In the real world I was once on a train 3x4CEP towed up the bank between Tonbridge and Sevenoaks by a 73 on diesel. Slow progress but it made it. A down freight had derailed and taken out the conductor rail. 

I note from those photos that the slight dimples in the cab roof profiles picked up in earlier posts still appear to be present.

Agreed, and I thought it looked even more noticeable when viewing the model in-the-flesh.  I sincerely hope they correct this glaring and rather odd quirk   :(

• 1 month later...

good to see that traction tyres wont feature on the production models.   nobody wants such things on a modern heavyweight all wheel drive diesel or electric........

still wonder why they got thru on the sample models.......maybe the less said about them the better.

• RMweb Premium

ETA Dapol?

I pre-ordered this waaaaaay back in March 2013

Tony

Patience!  Some of us ordered D600s back in June 2010 and also at the time to have been manufactured by Dapol. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Keep breathing through the year.   ;)

I don't think they're that far away now.  Over two years was lost in the miasma of doom which arose at Dapol apparently with no work done on them and resulted in a transfer of the project to another manufacturer.

• 2 weeks later...

They had the undecorated samples in the News section at the end of November and were expecting decorated samples at the end of December. One month on and we've heard nowt. So they slipped by a month in a month.

I'm torn between the frustration of wanting these models to be available and patiently accepting that this industry can't plan because their suppliers can't or won't deliver on promises.

They do look bloody gorgeous though !!

I'm thinking (a complete guess) that it will be May -July before they are here. Just going on the timeline that Bachmann, typically, have between deco samples and stock availability.

I'm baffled that Dapol were saying end of 14, when they didn't even have blank samples till November. Still we just have to wait.....

One for dave Scott, although it's the marmite approach, you can't go wrong with a lima 73 , ok the drive system. Is not to everyone's liking but the power to weight ratio is great and it will pull almost any think behind it, and I have yet to find one that is not a brilliant slow runner.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope so. I was a young man when it was announced. I think "Slade" were in the Charts... Hope it's a stunner when it arrives.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I can't wait for these, it looks like it'll be a cracking model and whilst the old Lima tooling was one of their better efforts and is still a fine model in terms of the basic shape and captures the look of the 73 very well I think this will be on a whole new level.

Did the Dapol stand people offer any likely availability date?

Spoke to Dapol over the weekend, very friendly and open. The livery samples are due within days to look over, apparently 13 different liveries to approve. The production slot is booked for May and delivery to the UK should if all goes to plan (and the liveries are approved) around June/July. Its certainly going to be worth the wait.