Trebudoc in O Gauge, Videos, page 28, 29, 31 to 33 + 36

Andrew P

I don't think you're going to get many Andy! Artist or not, I doubt if I could achieve the high modelling standards you and georgeT seem to find so easy.

So I'm going to stay here behind the settee and watch in awe! :)

Bill

Hello Jeff!

Edited by Mythocentric

I'm sure you will make your usual, professional job of it, Andy. If there's anything controversial, you can always say it was "just a bit of wethering"!!

Jeff

Evening Jeff, Whether I do or Whether I don.t make a mess of is in the eye of the beholder, some may say good and some may not, we will see over the next few weeks.

Andy.

I don't think you're going to get many Andy! Artist or not, I doubt if I could achieve the high modelling standards you and georgeT seem to find so easy.

So I'm going to stay here behind the settee and watch in awe! :)

Bill

Hello Jeff!

Hello Bill, George is the professional and works to a very high standard, if he has any doubts about any aspect of any model he will scrap it and start again. In a previous Video he showed the Signal Box roof, he has now srapped that and built a new one, such is his dedication to perfection.

I on the other hand fly by the seat of my pants and cobble things together, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not, but, het ho I have a go.

Andy.

Hi al,l these are some pics of the Car Repair Workshop, It started life as Skytrex Provender Store, it now has a work bench and lighting. Please excuse the PVA still wet for the gravel.

Andy.

post-9335-0-19798200-1357504646_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-42165500-1357504712_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-40241600-1357504786_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-02220700-1357504865_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-59087900-1357504938_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

The car repair workshop is very good,  may I put in my pennys worth?  But I think the gravel looks like rocks and should there be a ramp into the garage.

Sorry for being so picke.  Keep up the good work Andy you are doing very well.

RAY70B

The car repair workshop is very good,  may I put in my pennys worth?  But I think the gravel looks like rocks and should there be a ramp into the garage.

Sorry for being so picke.  Keep up the good work Andy you are doing very well.

RAY70B

Hi Ray, thanks for your input, the PVA is still wet and is actually quite flat, I will see what it is like when it is dry.

Andy.

Hi Andrew

for such as yards I like to use the fine block paving sand over bed of pva glue it gives a good texture then painted and dry brushed.

Hugh

Thanks for that Hugh, I have some very fine sand from a beach, it is lovelly but I wanted to try someting to emulate gravel. I have had a look at it this morning now that it has dried and it is a bit too sparkley so I will re do it with sand later and then weather it down to an earthy colour.

Thanks for your input,

Andy.

Thanks Guys, I have given it a coat of very fine sand about a couple of hours ago and it apears to be drying realy nice.

I have never had this problem before, as I have always pre thought through what I wanted, this time I thought , I want gravel, so I went for a gravel look alike, and even though it was for N Gauge it still looked corse on O Gauge.

Once the sand has dried I will assess the situation and see if it needs any weathering or just to leave it a natrual colour. This is often the best answer as some powders or air brushing lose some texture, and tend to make the ground look cloged up like MUD.

I will post some pics oncs the PVA has had time to thoroughly dry out and then see what you guys think. It is always good to get a second opinion and I know from experience that you guys will at least be honest with me.

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

Pleased to hear you've got it sorted.

I've used textured masonry paint in the past when trying to simulate gravel paths etc. I think it's possible buy in tester pots.

Alan.

Edited by alant

Hi Andy,

Pleased to hear you've got it sorted.

I've used textured masonry paint in the past when trying to simulate gravel paths etc. I think it's possible buy in tester pots.

Alan.

Thats a good one Alan,  I will give that a try, Poss in the Station Car park.

Cheers Andy.

Hi all, I think I have the Car Repair Workshop about right now. The sand dried abit too light, so against my better judgment I got out the air brush and toned it down and I think its ok now. I then added a load of scrap in the corner as even with a car in there it looked empty.

Your thoughts please.

Andy.  

post-9335-0-39099500-1357591902_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-02139800-1357591972_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-27114200-1357592192_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-91829600-1357592258_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-79320900-1357592322_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I hope you don't think I am being too critical Andy and it looks fantastic as a scene, but is there any way of making the glazing in the skylights flush with the roof because all I keep thinking when I look at it is that they would fill up with water when it rained.

I probably think about these things too much :D

• Like 1

I hope you don't think I am being too critical Andy and it looks fantastic as a scene, but is there any way of making the glazing in the skylights flush with the roof because all I keep thinking when I look at it is that they would fill up with water when it rained.

I probably think about these things too much :D

BO*****S, never thought about that, I got it from a mate of mine and it was already built and glazed, I will have to give it some thought. THANKS Jason

• Like 1

Looking good Andy.

Yes, I think that Sandside is correct.

Are you going to detail the inside now - tools etc ???

Evening Richard, there are some tools on the work bench made from bent wire etc, and a cabinet, you can see better in a previous pic  in post 611.

Cheers Andy.

• RMweb Premium

There are two ways to fix it, one easy but a bit scruffy and one relatively easy.

For either, you'll need some clear Plastikard (or other material, e.g. clear packaging). Glue a strip of plastikard or something similar close to the edge of the skylight at the top of all the windows and paint it black, then cut the clear plastikard to just larger than the length of each but the same width. For the easy fix, leave the original glazing in place and glue the new straight in, overlapping very slightly at the bottom of the skylights. For the other, cut out the existing glass and glue in the new as mentioned previously.

Sorry Andy :D

Edited because I have had a couple of beers and when I read it back, it wasn't clear ;)

Edited by Sandside

A small point - I like the car repair but the scrap to me doesn't look like car scrap. Some of it looks heavy enough to need a forklift to shift it. Perhaps old oil drums, tyres, wheels, etc? Bent up old car doors as well?

I have to disagree with the previous posters.  As an afficionado of rural scrap piles, it's remarkable what can, or could 30 years ago, be found behind an English country garage.  Whilst I never found a stack of old loco buffer beams, old oil engines, tractors and parts thereof were relatively common and some represented very large lumps of cast iron indeed which would have been of no earthly use in the repair of anything the garage was likely to encounter by the time I found it.  Large, mysterious structures of crudely welded RSJ and angle were also fairly commonplace.

So I'm fine with most of the scrap, apart, oddly enough, from the one obviously car bit amongst it.  That wheel in the foreground looks a bit too 1980s cast ally to me.

BTW, do I spy bits of a Triang 00 crane in there?

Edited by PatB
  • Like 2

Hi all, not a good day in our house hold as we had to have one of our beloved Greyhound put to sleep, Having spent most of the day at Monmore Green Stadium and at their Vets, it was felt that after a scan it was the best thing to do.

I wiil read through you comments tomorrow when I may feel a bit more like it.

Thanks, Andy. 

Andy,  l was very saddened to hear the news of your loss today, l know how close you were to your dog, l know how much it hurts, l cried all day when l lost my cat as you know, chin up mate, thinking of you and dee...........

georgeT   

• Like 2