Trebudoc in O Gauge, Videos, page 28, 29, 31 to 33 + 36

Andrew P

Andy

Superb quality.

After seeing that, I'm going to stick to pure industrial, I sort of understand that.

Cheers for that, BUT I struggle with industrial scenes, I am no good at making up buildings from kits or scratch in either plastic or card and I have seen some wonderful layouts on the exhibition cuircit and then realised later that they were Metcalfe, now that is where people like you inspire me to give an Industrial  scene a try one day.

Cheers Andy.

• RMweb Gold

'Here's the first part of Andy's workshop (Backscene Painting)  G-Tap.

Andy, and George,

What gave you the idea to do a video?  I think it is brilliant. There is so much content.  Iam not at all artistic so I would not have thought of painting my own back scene, but now who knows?

Andy, and George,

What gave you the idea to do a video?  I think it is brilliant. There is so much content.  Iam not at all artistic so I would not have thought of painting my own back scene, but now who knows?

Thanks Chris, It is George's fault, he suggested we give it a try and we are both quite pleased with the result.

I have done my own bacscenes since Kingsmill in 2008 and I do enjoy the challenge, I do not put buildings on the backscene as it can go so wrong even though I do cottages etc on my own paintings, but I am still learning.

Cheers again, Andy

Hi Ray, I have so much going on in my life at the moment that my wife says she only sees me when I need feeding, hahahaaa

I have to finish T and then I have 12 shows booked for Glen Roy and T this year, plus I am involved with our club layout, and then George T will want me back up to Stockport to help him with the scenics on Abbotts Mead, I owe him that as he made a great job on my Station and Signal Box Buildings.

Worn out =  Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ray, I have so much going on in my life at the moment that my wife says she only sees me when I need feeding, hahahaaa

I have to finish T and then I have 12 shows booked for Glen Roy and T this year, plus I am involved with our club layout, and then George T will want me back up to Stockport to help him with the scenics on Abbotts Mead, I owe him that as he made a great job on my Station and Signal Box Buildings.

Worn out =  Andy.

Serves you right for being so good with your layouts!!  :O  :jester:

Jeff

Andy

I have just finished watching the videos and they are great. I was pretty good at art many years ago and have often thought about painting my own backscene and this has given me the incentive to try it later, after all I have some paints and plenty of paper to practise on so if it all goes wrong I've lost very little except a bit of time. But if like yours it comes out well then so much to gain.

I love the way you and George bounce of each other and keep up a lively commentary too.

Great stuff.

Jim

Hi Jason, you cetanly did get a mention on the Vid, I had another look through Bacup earlier and the grass looks really good mate.

Here are a couple more pics of the Station Building, I am waiting the the Station Signs to arrive and then I will adorne the building with all the necessary signs and posters, I think the little block on the end will be a Gents Toilet block.

I am sorting out all the other bits I will need, most from the likes of Skytrex, such as GWR cast iron benches, water crane and fire Devil, Signal Box interior as George has made the roof removable, I will then iluminate it with an LED or two. I am also going to try and get a road sign  for the back of the road bridge, poss a T junction or stop sign of some sort.

I also need some Station Staff and a Coal Merchant, Ialready have a couple of guys for the goods dock, and I will need a Signal Man to put either inside if the light is bright enough or at the top of the steps.

I will not put any passengers on the platrom just yet as with only 2 passenger trains a day that may look a bit silly, but the jury is still out on that one.

The station Building will be set onto the platform with a very thin seal of PVA / DAS mix so that there is no gap around the bottom.

Andy.     (a fully paid up member of the Monster Raving Lunester Party)

post-9335-0-78780300-1358770447_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-36024800-1358770475_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 9

Just update as to what I have been up to this morning,

Dee and I had a play with Sally in our back garden, :nono:   (wish it was, it is actually the Park) :no:

COLD Lune. :sungum:

And before you ask, yes it is still snowing a bit. :O

post-9335-0-67090300-1358776830_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-75453200-1358776892_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-56249000-1358776987_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

A great set of videos there, Andy. Thanks for taking the time.

I'll have to re-watch them before I dare have a go myself but I think you hit it on the head with the 'not too much detail' comment. Detail in the backscene just draws you attention to it and in my opinion a flat backscene should go almost unnoticed whilst you are concentrating on the models themselves. I'm not sure how this approach will work with a semi-urban setting, though.

From the few exhibitions I've attended, the best backscenes have...well.. faded into to the backscene, if you get my drift! The best I was a hand painted one by an artist modeller (large scale/small size NG layout at Horsham a couple of years ago) which I think included a lake scene. The way it blended into the 3D model was stunning.

Perhaps a bigger challenge is how to disguise the fact that the chimney on a low relief terrace house is touching a cloud 2 miles away :)

Jon

Hi Jon, thanks for that, as you say chimneys blending into clouds is alsmost imposible.

Just had a look at your profile and I see you are into Motorcycles, is that why your tag is KTM?  When I lived in Hampshire I used to ride in Trials and Moto Cross with Husqavana, CZ's etc.

Cheers Andy.   

Hi Jon, thanks for that, as you say chimneys blending into clouds is alsmost imposible.

Just had a look at your profile and I see you are into Motorcycles, is that why your tag is KTM?  When I lived in Hampshire I used to ride in Trials and Moto Cross with Husqavana, CZ's etc.

Cheers Andy.   

Yep! I don't ride competitively but do a bit of (legal!) off-roading where I can. Mainly into road stuff, though. Luckily, the Mrs is into bikes too (she has more than I do) but it'll be a challenge working the toy train (oops) bug into her :) !

Jon

PS I'll be nabbing a few of your ideas, for sure!

Edited by KTM

Hi, here are a couple of pics of the Signal Box now that it is firmly beded into the ground.

And then a few pics of the Ivatt  2-6-2 Tank that George has re done the numbers on as they were not quite right.(clever sod)

I am using my Southern coach at the moment as I do have a Western Region Autocoach as yet.

HELP

I am trying to do a post where you do a text, then add a picture, then another text, then another picture etc. If anyone can explain how I do this then please explain.

Old Lune. 

post-9335-0-83622100-1358803941_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-65338900-1358803967_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-73918800-1358803991_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-55167400-1358804034_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-28551600-1358804123_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08322300-1358804225_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-69867400-1358804279_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-43422900-1358804316_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-97696600-1358804339_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Andy

When you upload the picture, make sure that the cursor is where you want the photo to go and then next to the image there is an 'Add to Post' button. Select that and it will place the image on the post.

Hit the return key and carry on typing.

Hope this helps, (I've just tried it on Oxted Park to find out)

Duncan - Learning Lune

Andy

When you upload the picture, make sure that the cursor is where you want the photo to go and then next to the image there is an 'Add to Post' button. Select that and it will place the image on the post.

Hit the return key and carry on typing.

Hope this helps, (I've just tried it on Oxted Park to find out)

Duncan - Learning Lune

Hi Duncan, I have just had a look at Oxted Park, I particularly liked the rust on the tank, very effictive, well done.

Thanks for the instruction on the up load, I will give that a try on my next set of pics.

Cheers, Andy

Hi all, I was not too happy with the end of the platform at the station building end and so I have put in another small piece of fence with a hedge behind and some more shrubs etc on the wall and around the buffers.            THE PVA IS STILL WET,           THAT'S THE WHITE BITS.

post-9335-0-78072000-1358876946_thumb.jpgpost-9335-0-59464700-1358876968_thumb.jpgpost-9335-0-54066500-1358876991_thumb.jpg

The Station Signs also arrived today and I have just tried one for size and it is spot on, now I can get on with the others, I am busy tomorrow but I hope to be able to do them and fix the Station Building in place on Thursday, all being well.

post-9335-0-49218300-1358877011_thumb.jpg

• Like 11