Trebudoc in O Gauge, Videos, page 28, 29, 31 to 33 + 36

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, Just the Coal Yard I think, then after we have seen how the Station Building fits, (if George has not made it the WRONG SIZE) and also the Signal Box, then the next step is to paint them, and then fit them into place and finish the last details.

Cheers,.Old Lunester

HAHAHHAHHAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

George has now left the country.... He was last seen carrying two large rucksacks and airline security scans indicated the contents were mostly 2mm ply. The flight attendant commended him on his "lovely station buildings" as he boarded the plane, destination unknown!

So it looks like you'll have to build your own, Andy!!  :O  :O

Jeff :jester:

George has now left the country.... He was last seen carrying two large rucksacks and airline security scans indicated the contents were mostly 2mm ply. The flight attendant commended him on his "lovely station buildings" as he boarded the plane, destination unknown!

So it looks like you'll have to build your own, Andy!!  :O  :O

Jeff :jester:

O NO, :O  Just found out that T is booked for a Show on 16th / 17th FEB, so I need to get a move on. I thought it was going to be Glen Roy but had a look on UK Model shops just now and HAD A FRIGHT :paint:

Lost the plot Lunester 

• Like 1

Sorry about your loss our pets are always special and we miss them when they reach the end of their lives ,glad the layout is progressing well and look forward to seeing updates.Hope you sell your house soon and find your layout freindly property ,I hate moving house its such an upheaval but for you a garden railway might be on the horizon so good luck. Chris.

Sorry about your loss our pets are always special and we miss them when they reach the end of their lives ,glad the layout is progressing well and look forward to seeing updates.Hope you sell your house soon and find your layout freindly property ,I hate moving house its such an upheaval but for you a garden railway might be on the horizon so good luck. Chris.

Cheers Chris, No joy again today, good job all my layouts are portable, I might need a caravan, NOW THERES AN IDEA :beee:

Andy. Check your BT email address - there should be a few photos for you to look at which may be of interest.

Nothing new, just pics from KL over the last 2 months.

Jeff

Got the Pics mate, really good, thanks for those, Andy.

Hi all, Well the whole day has been a mix of Family and Modelling. I went out this morning an purchased the timber for the legs and the white faced hardboard for the backscene. I then  had a family day but this evening I have painted the backscene and fitted it. Once the Station Building is fitted I sure it will look O.K.

Andy.

post-9335-0-60316800-1358026835_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-74533500-1358026875_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-62665800-1358026906_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-65446500-1358026946_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Lovely work on the backscene, Andy. You're very adept at integrating the railway into it's surroundings. I bet the discovery that you're exhibiting T (and not GR) gave you a kick in the pants. Very nice!

I've left a comment for you on KL. Hopefully there'll be something "going on" above boards by the end of the month that should be worth looking at.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jeff, I am NOT planning a backscene on this one as at home I will spin it around and operate as at shows. Also I like to comunicate with the paying public and find back scenes always a bit restrictive, and with Glen Roy and Loch Leven I operate from the front at the end, and I find this great to be able to not only chat to the public but let them have a go as many people are frightened of DCC untill they try it, also the kids enjoy starting up Diesels and sounding the horns. I was going to do the same with this and I don't know why I didn't to be honest. The main point lever and the on/off switch for the dead section are under the grass embankment along the back. I can get to them from the front but its very awkward and would deffinately be a pain at shows.

Andy,

I know I am replying late but I have come late to the thread and I am slowly making my way through it.

I do think the model looks brilliant but what I want to comment on is how you plan to operate it, and how you have operated your other layouts at exhibitions.  Brilliant!  :yes: When my lads were young I only managed to get to shows with the three of them it tow.  The attitude of some exhibitors was that they appeared to think the paying public was a distraction to their running session at best and as for children, well lets not go there.  I remember one layout which was at eye level, for people of 5ft 10 inches!

The best one was a shunting layout, I think exhibited in Romford which was designed for kids to have a go.  Happy days.

More power to your elbow, is what I say.  I hope that you have as much fun exhibiting this as you have building it. 

• Like 1

Andy,

I know I am replying late but I have come late to the thread and I am slowly making my way through it.

I do think the model looks brilliant but what I want to comment on is how you plan to operate it, and how you have operated your other layouts at exhibitions.  Brilliant!  :yes: When my lads were young I only managed to get to shows with the three of them it tow.  The attitude of some exhibitors was that they appeared to think the paying public was a distraction to their running session at best and as for children, well lets not go there.  I remember one layout which was at eye level, for people of 5ft 10 inches!

The best one was a shunting layout, I think exhibited in Romford which was designed for kids to have a go.  Happy days.

More power to your elbow, is what I say.  I hope that you have as much fun exhibiting this as you have building it. 

Hi Chris, I am glad you picked up on this entry, In its original format Trebudoc was worked from the rear with no back scene, there were two reasons for this,the first being easier to couple and uncouple the 3 link couplings and the second being the barrier issue as I always feel that talking over a back scene is like a large barrier.

With the rebuild, Trebudoc has been rotated 180 degrees and so the fiddle yard is now in it's rightfull place, at the front right hand side. I can now talk whilst changing stock, operating, and even uncoupling/coupling along the front of the layout. One other advantage of this is that like my other layouts it can now also be worked at home, back against the wall the same as at shows, this also helps with trying different stock and manouvers at home in a show type enviroment.

All the best Andy

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

Andy, Having helped you on a number of exhibitions with various layouts of yours, l am amazed at the number of people you talk to, always in great depth about whatever they enquire about, so 'YES' working a layout from the front is far better that 3-4 operators in the back somewhere out of sight.

georgeT

Hi all, here are some pics of the Layout packed up and ready to transport it up to Stockport for a few days at George T's for the trial fitting of the Station Building and Signal Box. In this form the Layout measures, 53 inches x24 x18 so just right for sliding into the back of my Peugeot 407SW Estate Car.

Pic 2 shows the bolt that secures the leg for transport, there is also one under the other board that secures both the legs for that Main board folded together, one pair overlap the other and so just one bolt is require there, I will try to show this in more detail when we do the Video.

Pic 3 shows how I have left clearence for the chimneys of the station Building and Signal Box. 

Andy.

post-9335-0-37468000-1358256732_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-21159700-1358256752_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-79869800-1358256917_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Very neat, Andy. It looks like you'll have plenty of clearance for the Station Building and Signal Box when they are fitted. Or are you going to keep those items separate and just sit them in place, when needed?

If we ever have our "Lunesters get together" you've no excuse for not bringing T!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris, I am glad you picked up on this entry, In its original format Trebudoc was worked from the rear with no back scene, there were two reasons for this,the first being easier to couple and uncouple the 3 link couplings and the second being the barrier issue as I always feel that talking over a back scene is like a large barrier.

With the rebuild, Trebudoc has been rotated 180 degrees and so the fiddle yard is now in it's rightfull place, at the front right hand side. I can now talk whilst changing stock, operating, and even uncoupling/coupling along the front of the layout. One other advantage of this is that like my other layouts it can now also be worked at home, back against the wall the same as at shows, this also helps with trying different stock and manouvers at home in a show type enviroment.

All the best Andy

Depends on the height of the backscene Andy.  Nought wrong with operating from behind as long as you can still fully interact.  Charmouth and Bridport both operate from the rear, but with manual uncoupling the layout and backscene height have to be arranged accordingly.  Also has the advantage that you are actually facing the audience to begin with.  Charmouth, being a long straight layout, has the controls arranged so it can be operated from front or back just as easily.

Operating from the front is fine, as long as you don't spend too much time obstructing the view for visitors.  With three-link couplings you may find yourself moving around at the front quite a lot.

layout is looking terrific by the way!

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

When I built Sparrow's wharf it was intended to be operated from the rear. However my friends who helped at exhibitions decided they prefered to operate from the front. Steve who couldn't stand too long used to plonk a chair in the front and operate from there. If he couldn't reach to uncouple he would ask someone to do it for him. When things were quietish we would let kids operate one on the control another with the couplings hook. I found that if you are operating from the front you are part of the audience and more approachable.

Don

• Like 1

Andy.  It all looks very nice and tidy and complete, but you will NEED two men to lift it into the car/van ? if you decide to do a show on your own l think you would have a problem ?

l know you have built hundreds of things in the past with no problems, but we are getting older now, may be thats why you are building Glenfinick in N gauge ? a lot easier to cart around on your own ?

George

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys, yes I have a chair in front of the fiddle yard but sideways on facing along the layout so I am not blocking the layout for the audience or photographers. the same with Glen Roy.

I too like operating Orchard Road from the front. I can stand in front of the fiddle yard without blocking the view. The only time that it is a problem is when I need to uncouple the tank wagons when shunting these around. I did one exhibition last year when we had a barrier across the front, which was the perfect height for resting my arm, with the other resting on top of the front board on the fiddle yard!

Operating from the front does allow easier chatting with the public, who also like to see how the layout is operated - being DCC, the points are operated off the powercab as well.

• Like 1

Hi Richard, I have a nice folding stool to sit on at shows as I could't stand all day.

I am up at George T's for a few days fitting and painting the Station Building and Signal Box, we have made some videos of me painting them and will add them later along with some of the Pannier, Prarie and Ivatt chuffing about the yard.

George has also modified the windows on the roof of the  old workshop and made the Coal drops again we have done a video on some of these bits to go on here tonight. 

He has also re applied some new numbers to the Ivatt, maybe they will be all the same size this time.

Andy.

Hi all, here are a few pics from last night and this morning.

I got up to George T's about 6.30pm on Wednesday night and we worked untill about 1am today, we were up again at 6am and made a start.

I have to say that he has done a cracking job to the Buildings and I am so pleased with them both.

Here are some pics.

Andy.

post-9335-0-81421400-1358435500_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-40491300-1358435523_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-70992900-1358435541_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-96277600-1358435564_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-56584700-1358435578_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Very nice indeed, Andy. George deserves all the credit he gets - the buildings certainly complement and enhance T!

Just make sure you get all the details onto those videos you've planned. The rest of us are looking forward to watching the two of you at work!

Jeff

• Like 2