ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

• 6 months later...

apologise for bumping this to those waiting for an update, Im wondering about it myself.

with regards the Liverpool loan of 30066 in 1955, I was speaking to a freind and we got talking about the visit of one of these to Liverpool and he was telling me of how he saw it at Aintree shed, but then I got quizzing him and he said he didnt know about the 1955 visit, what he was talking about was that he saw a bright green one on Aintree shed, he was playing football on the field near the shed and he said it stuck out like a sore thumb among the black locos so he bunked into the shed to see it, this was in the mid 1960s.

total mystery and I know he's not the type of person to make things up, he is writing a book on the railways of the area and is probably the most prolific photographer of the area in the steam era so I believe him. but still taking it with a pinch of salt in case something has got mixed up.

I think I noticed in one of the French railway mags that I was flicking through on the way through Paris, that there is an HO model coming from a French manufacturer - is this a case of common design for the two scales?

http://www.ree-modeles.com/crbst_87.html

Jon

Its actually Hrnby under the Rivarossi moniker. It's to 'HO' scale, not 'OO'. And as far as I am aware, manufacturers dont share things like CAD/CAM files.

The MR one has a much wider selection of british liveries though. the only possible livery that could be used on a british layout with the 'HO' one is the USATC livery

• 2 weeks later...

funily enough I was reading Tony Wright's article in Railway modeller nov 1997 the other day on how he built the SE Finecast kit, i remember the article well as I quite fancied one at the time......

I recently got hold of a sample S100 kit. The castings are actually really good, although the moulds are starting to slip in one or two places, with very obvious part lines. Half the reason for buying it was to see if any of the parts were common with, or adaptable for use on, the S160 2-8-0, which would then have led to an order for spare parts. So far, I haven't spotted any common parts apart from possibly the multi-dog smokebox door. The S100 smokebox saddle has a smaller curvature for obvious reasons, and the cylinders are completely different. Likewise the motion bracket which holds the frame for the expansion links is of a quite different design, and I'm not even sure if the chimney can be cut down.

Apparently standardisation wasn't quite embraced by USATC designers!

• RMweb Gold

Its actually Hrnby under the Rivarossi moniker. It's to 'HO' scale, not 'OO'. And as far as I am aware, manufacturers dont share things like CAD/CAM files.

The MR one has a much wider selection of british liveries though. the only possible livery that could be used on a british layout with the 'HO' one is the USATC livery

No it's not. The REE model linked by jonhall is currently being revised before release, now targeted for September, and is not the same as the Jouef model, which may appear this Spring.

I think I noticed in one of the French railway mags that I was flicking through on the way through Paris, that there is an HO model coming from a French manufacturer - is this a case of common design for the two scales?

http://www.ree-modeles.com/crbst_87.html

Jon

Absolutely not. It's pure co-incidence. The Model Rail USA has been commissioned from Dapol, who are designing it to accommodate a variety of different details including smokebox fronts and bunkers. The HO Hornby/Rivarossi model will not need these variations as the European USAs were not modified in the same way as the Southern Railway ones. The detail variations will enable us to do many different livery variations in future, if the demand is there.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2

Absolutely not. It's pure co-incidence. The Model Rail USA has been commissioned from Dapol, who are designing it to accommodate a variety of different details including smokebox fronts and bunkers. The HO Hornby/Rivarossi model will not need these variations as the European USAs were not modified in the same way as the Southern Railway ones. The detail variations will enable us to do many different livery variations in future, if the demand is there.

CHRIS LEIGH

There were differences in the locos used by European railways and both Hornby International (Jouef and Rivarossi) and REE's announcements reflect them. They're mostly to the coal bunker, smokebox door, the fitting of a Westinghouse pump, and REE, who plan to offer seven specific locos that worked in France for both the USATC and SNCF, even have the TIA water treatment fittings for the appropriate locos http://www.ree-modeles.com/crbst_90.html

After Jugoslavia, France was the largest post war user of these locos and SNCF bought 77 of them in 1948 to form class 030TU1-77. They were used on all but one SNCF region and some changes were made to the coal bunkers, cab and other fittings and they were (possibly not all of them) equipped with Westinghouse pumps. Sixteen of them were converted to oil firing for use on the South East region though none of the models seem to reflect that.

Without speed recorders they could only be used for shunting particularly around docks, works and loco depots but were very successful. They lasted almost till the end of steam with most of them withdrawn between 1967 and 1970. Apart from SNCF, the Département des Bouches-du-Rhône bought three more of the USATC locos for its own lines and these were oil fired.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There were differences in the locos used by European railways and both Hornby International (Jouef and Rivarossi) and REE's announcements reflect them. They're mostly to the coal bunker, smokebox door, the fitting of a Westinghouse pump, and REE, who plan to offer seven specific locos that worked in France for both the USATC and SNCF, even have the TIA water treatment fittings for the appropriate locos http://www.ree-modeles.com/crbst_90.html

After Jugoslavia, France was the largest post war user of these locos and SNCF bought 77 of them in 1948 to form class 030TU1-77. They were used on all but one SNCF region and some changes were made to the coal bunkers, cab and other fittings and they were (possibly not all of them) equipped with Westinghouse pumps. Sixteen of them were converted to oil firing for use on the South East region though none of the models seem to reflect that.

Without speed recorders they could only be used for shunting particularly around docks, works and loco depots but were very successful. They lasted almost till the end of steam with most of them withdrawn between 1967 and 1970. Apart from SNCF, the Département des Bouches-du-Rhône bought three more of the USATC locos for its own lines and these were oil fired.

Did any of them get preserved I wonder? I don't recall seeing one when I went to the museum at Mulhouse a few years back, but I wondered if one of the heritage lines managed to save one or two.

Did any of them get preserved I wonder? I don't recall seeing one when I went to the museum at Mulhouse a few years back, but I wondered if one of the heritage lines managed to save one or two.

French Wikipedia suggests two are preserved:-

"De nos jours les 030 TU 13 et 030 TU 22 sont conservées, la première au Dépôt-musée de Pont-Erambourg par l'ACF et la deuxième à Longueville par l'AJECTA."

Pont Erambourg is a preserved line in Normandy, so there is a possibility the loco might be seen hauling a train. Longueville is a preserved depot east of Paris, which has a big open day every year in September ('the journée du patrimoine', when all sorts of places that get subsidies/grants open their doors, sometimes grudgingly, to the public)

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 1

My latest information is that TU13 is awaiting restoration by ACF (Amicale pour la mise en valeur de la voie ferrée de Caen à Flers) having been used as a "flower pot" - in Caen.  Looking at the current photo of the loco on their website it may be a long wait. At the moment their main activity seems to be operating Velorails on the line - a fairly common way for French preservation schemes to get some revenue pending proper trains.

TU22 is preserved, though apparently not currently in service, by AJECTA at Longueville where it seems to have been the depot shunter for when it was an SNCF shed. The museum depot is open every Sunday and holiday and also on Saturdays from June to mid October and runs special trains several times each year. 

A third S100 does appear to be operating in France. This was operated by Le Chemin de fer du Val de Provence (CFVP) who used a section of the Bouches de Rhone line but who seem to have disappeared. Since 2011 it has been on the Chemin de Fer Touristique du Haut Quercy and features on their current website. It carries the SNCF number (030TU 46) of a loco that was scrapped years ago, but was actually one of those that had worked in the former Jugoslavia so, if it ever did work in France before, it was for the USATC. According to the railway's website http://www.trainduhautquercy.info/start/cfthqe.html

it was built in Pittsburgh in 1943 so it is a genuine USATC loco rather than one of those built under licence in Jugoslavia. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

CHRIS LEIGH

The NCB ran three (at least) in Northumberland that were sbstantially unmodified....

Les

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to get one of these they have one at the KWVR in store and that's a local railway for me so that will be added on to the list of things I want and need. I'm sure it will be a quality model anyway I already have one of Dapol's sentinels and the LMS prototype diesel no.10,000 and they are both superb! I guess I'm going to have to pre-order one pretty quick as I have heard they are quite popular  :biggrin_mini:  :biggrin_mini:  :biggrin_mini:

• RMweb Premium

The NCB ran three (at least) in Northumberland that were sbstantially unmodified....

Les

Yes dead right, I have an E E Smith photo of one at Backworth (titled as such, I think it's Ashington though) and there's also one in one of Tom Heavyside's books.  Can't post them of course for copyright.

• 1 month later...

Any comments on the latest cgi photos shown in the latest "Model Rail" magazine (July), p.10 ?

The article also states that the BR versions are "close to being fully reserved" and goes on to say "although there will be more BR versions in Batch 2".

• 2 months later...