RMweb

When the real thing looks like a model

On 17/10/2023 at 09:01, Wickham Green too said:

I can't remember what the application was, but the curve was so tight that Bagnalls had to build a loco with wheels bigger one side than t'other !

Sounds like one of the fairground ride 'tunnel railway' locos - see for instance halfway down this link for a Fowler example - other builders also sold into this market

http://www.leedsengine.info/leeds/histjf.asp

A somewhat unconvincing 'pizza' layout?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pH said:

A well-stocked fiddle yard:

https://railpictures.net/photo/843971/

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Classic mistake, too - cramming in so many tracks there's no room for your fingers to get in to lift stock out. 🙄🤦‍♂️😉

25 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Those readymade loads look too even…

steve

Credit where it's due, though - it's the first fiddleyard I've seen with ballasted & weathered track....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a large french automated layout at Warley a couple of years back. I first approached it from the rear and thought it looked odd for a layout. Then I realised it was a fully scenic fiddle yard and the layout proper was round the other side.

• Like 4

On 01/11/2023 at 12:52, Ian Morgan said:

There was a large french automated layout at Warley a couple of years back. I first approached it from the rear and thought it looked odd for a layout. Then I realised it was a fully scenic fiddle yard and the layout proper was round the other side.

It’s something I’ve considered doing at times. With some houses on a backscene it could make quite a passable model of Goodrington Sidings.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Number transfers & the nameplate are all over the place, too!!!

Looks like they’ve used an N gauge arrows of indecision on an OO loco too, just emptying out the spares box.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

On 04/11/2023 at 16:48, Rich_F said:

Aylesbury

Inspiration for your modem era depots! 

Also in the 'interesting pictures from Flickr" thread.

@Rich_F - thanks, this give me another chance to moan pathetically again. 😋

Those red Peco(?) accessories should have been painted, and the weathering on the roof of the nearest DMU is dreadful.

But using Demerara Sugar for the pile of gravel is a nice idea.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

@Rich_F - thanks, this give me another chance to moan pathetically again. 😋

Those red Peco(?) accessories should have been painted, and the weathering on the roof of the nearest DMU is dreadful.

But using Demerara Sugar for the pile of gravel is a nice idea.

There's also a Dapol JCB shoehorned in between the Clubman & the Turbo models! Rule 1 but I think they'd use a proper crane rather than a digger to fix the units in reality! 😆

• Like 2

On 06/11/2023 at 11:24, fulton said:

Nice detail and weathering, shame about the obviously over scale nut and bolt castings. (this viaduct carriers the North Kent line over Janes' Creek, Strood)

20231106_084119.jpg

The state of the flood defence wall is somewhat iffy as well!

I think this is actually carrying the Medway Valley Line, it’s south west of the A2 bridge and south west of the junction beyond the down end of Strood station. 

IMG_4884.png.b6868da82f29fb9257eb9f112bc7268e.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

The state of the flood defence wall is somewhat iffy as well!

I think this is actually carrying the Medway Valley Line, it’s south west of the A2 bridge and south west of the junction beyond the down end of Strood station. 

IMG_4884.png.b6868da82f29fb9257eb9f112bc7268e.png

You are quite correct, today it is the Medway Valley Line, I tend to use North Kent Line as that was its designation at the time I am modelling the area, I walk under the viaduct each time I go shopping and live just off the edge of your view.

Janes' Creek 8 (2).jpg

• Like 2