Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Modelling Spam Cans (Bulleid Pacifics)

roundhouse

I have an obscure question, which I wondered if anyone could answer ....

35013 Blue Funnel,  I believe ran in original condition with a Cut down tender.

Does anyone know the arrangement of the Vacuum Cylinders on the top rear of the tender -

I believe there were variations and differing cover types ??

Thanks in advance,  Ian 

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Does anyone know the arrangement of the Vacuum Cylinders on the top rear of the tender -

Thanks in advance,  Ian 

Merchant Navy tenders are a bit of a minefield but SREmG group's site has some doumentation here - https://www.sremg.org.uk/steam/mn-ten.shtml

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2023 at 12:19, Dunsignalling said:

The rebuilt WC was partially retooled several years ago with DCC sound fitting in mind.

You'll need to find one with the 4-way plug lead connection between loco and tender. That will give you the socket and a speaker space in the tender.

The older sort has the socket in the loco but only room for a speaker in the tender so is likely to need much more work.

John

I have installed the decoder and a sugar cube speaker in the boiler. There is just enough room for the speaker under the chimney opening. I used a Soundtraxx Econami UK steam sound decoder which has the Southern whistle and is small enough to fit. I am sure you can get an appropriate sized Zimo or LokSound decoder. Try YouChoos for the Zimo and speaker.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2023 at 11:34, Staffordshire said:

Thanks in advance,  Ian 

Information from: Bulleid Power - The 'Merchant Navy' Class by A J Fry (Alan Sutton Publishing, 1990):

A large cover, the width of the coal bunker, completely enclosed the vacuum cylinders.

Tender No.3124 (running with 35013) was modified this way in December 1952. Tenders 3122 (35012) and 3121 (35011) were modified in the same manner.

Regards,

Glenn

8 hours ago, mattingleycustom said:

Information from: Bulleid Power - The 'Merchant Navy' Class by A J Fry (Alan Sutton Publishing, 1990):

A large cover, the width of the coal bunker, completely enclosed the vacuum cylinders.

Tender No.3124 (running with 35013) was modified this way in December 1952. Tenders 3122 (35012) and 3121 (35011) were modified in the same manner.

Regards,

Glenn

Perfect, thank you very much for this information ....

Will post a  couple of photos when model is complete ..

Cheers, Ian 

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone have drawings of a Bulleid Pacific whistle as I want to make one for one of my locos on Exhill - I model in 7/8ths scale...

Many thanks in advance

Edited by John Besley

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, John Besley said:

Does anyone have drawings of a Bulleid Pacific whistle as I want to make one for one of my locos on Exhill - I model in 7/8ths scale...

Many thanks in advance

What style of Bulleid pacific are you building?  You probably require to get a copy of SR Drawing "E32891 Whistle valve and details" from the NRM as this shows the whistle and its constituent parts as well as the early (pre 1952) type of isolation valve. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, John Besley said:

Many thanks in advance

Good news and bad news, I have on a very ancient Windows computer over 1300 Southern Railway drawings of  Bulleid Pacific details including the one you want. The bad news is, I can’t quite work out how to extract them from that computer onto my iMac. I will keep trying, and if I can, I will send you that drawing.

IMG_0368.jpeg

IMG_0369.jpeg

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, John Besley said:

Many thanks in advance

here you are, hope you can read this ok.You might be able to blow it up and print it out, if not I at least have it on the mac so there might be other options to explore which I, although as tech savvy as a sack of potatoes, might be able to explore

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

It should be noted that these drawings are the IP of the NRM and have been provided to members of The Bulleid Pacific Locomotive Association on the condition that they are not reproduced, shared or published...

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Edited by PhilH
I can’t seem to delete so have edited my post out as I can’t be bothered to get into a pointless conversation.

• RMweb Premium

And here it is a model of a bulleid whistle in 7/8ths scale...

BulleidWhistle.jpg.8c83e6fc7f21bcedd3521a0e6b465fba.jpg

Yes I know it should be slightly longer in the body but it does what I need 

On another point what whistle did the Q1's have?

So I picked up a set of etched Golden Arrows from Fox Transfers and now am contemplating how to mount them on one of my spam cans. I am hesitant to slap on some glue but can’t figure a better way other than contact cement which might leave them removable. This begs the question as to how it was done on the original locos? I have viewed dozens of photos and can’t see any mounting brackets of any kind on the air smoother casings. Any ideas? Thanks—Larry

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Cofga said:

So I picked up a set of etched Golden Arrows from Fox Transfers and now am contemplating how to mount them on one of my spam cans. I am hesitant to slap on some glue but can’t figure a better way other than contact cement which might leave them removable. This begs the question as to how it was done on the original locos? I have viewed dozens of photos and can’t see any mounting brackets of any kind on the air smoother casings. Any ideas? Thanks—Larry

Original locos that could be scheduled to haul the train had 3 fixing points cut into the cladding. You can just see them here on this picture of 34086.

https://railphotoprints.uk/p978695097/e35d422d5

And in happier times - https://railphotoprints.uk/p978695097/e1dd402ee

Edited by RFS
  • Informative/Useful 1

Great, you can definitely see the 3 brackets on the side for mounting the arrow. However I think the contact cement approach would be easier to remove at a later date if needed. I used that approach when mounting etched brass nameplates then discovered the flag on East Asiatic was backwards. Since I had used contact cement I was able to slip them off and remount in just a few minutes. Thanks to both of you—Larry

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Cofga said:

Great, you can definitely see the 3 brackets on the side for mounting the arrow. However I think the contact cement approach would be easier to remove at a later date if needed. I used that approach when mounting etched brass nameplates then discovered the flag on East Asiatic was backwards. Since I had used contact cement I was able to slip them off and remount in just a few minutes. Thanks to both of you—Larry

Although I've not used it myself, I've seen Tacky Wax recommended for things like headboards, route discs etc.

As far as I remember the arrow was above the nameplates on the West Country locos and between nameplate and shield for the Battle of Britain variety of Bulleid Light pacific ...

... btw that is my rendition of 34085 with Golden Arrow regalia on the Fox Transfers website.

Glenn

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Can anybody tell me where I can source a chimney for a rebuilt West Country in OO please?

I’ve sourced a body but it came without a chimney and when I’ve searched the usual suspects on t’web I can’t find anything, even the wonderful Albert Goodall draws a blank.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

//Simon 

52 minutes ago, Stentor said:

Can anybody tell me where I can source a chimney for a rebuilt West Country in OO please?

I’ve sourced a body but it came without a chimney and when I’ve searched the usual suspects on t’web I can’t find anything, even the wonderful Albert Goodall draws a blank.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

//Simon 

PDK  Models .... perhaps 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

PDK  Models .... perhaps 

Paul of PDK is always helpful and I am sure he will be able to help. My only reservation is that he has had some health issues.

Kind regards,

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/08/2023 at 11:44, mattingleycustom said:

As far as I remember the arrow was above the nameplates on the West Country locos and between nameplate and shield for the Battle of Britain variety of Bulleid Light pacific ...

... btw that is my rendition of 34085 with Golden Arrow regalia on the Fox Transfers website.

Glenn

And the gap between the nameplate and badge was therefore increased on BB locos earmarked for GA duty compared with the usual spacing.

Edited by Dunsignalling