Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Silliest locomotive?

• RMweb Premium

I know beauty is a very subjective concept, but the 10100 Fell loco looks plain stupid to me. Such "streamlining"!

I love diesels with a bit of a "snout", but nope, I hate the Fell (I'm sure 'CHARD will have something to say!!).

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised this thread has run to 2 pages and no-one's mentioned Bulleid's Leader. Shame 36002 was never finished, just to see if 36001 was a bit of a dud or whether the design wasn't up to snuff.

• RMweb Gold

Try THIS site for some of the best.

They may look silly but the engineering was sound as they spread the weight and had long lives ;)

I suppose the ultimate object of the OP was a silly idea that was totally useless in function too.

Missing out basic elements of physics or railways requirements.

Cyclopede was pointless as it wasted energy in transferring the horses effort to rotary motion rather than just attaching the horse to the front, gearing the treadmill up had potentially fatal results for the horses too!

As Brian pointed out the Guiness brewery locos proved driving wheels off other wheels worked well if you needed to change gauge and save on having a rarely used loco of one gauge, but is pointless for any other purpose as you add weight and lose some traction at the interface so it's always going to be less efficient than using the direct driven wheels.

Which loco engineer built the engine with two sets of individual driving wheels that could go in opposite directions? Sometimes needing a push start! Biggest application of the pot boiler Mamod principle!!!

• RMweb Gold

Which loco engineer built the engine with two sets of individual driving wheels that could go in opposite directions? Sometimes needing a push start! Biggest application of the pot boiler Mamod principle!!!

That would probably be Mr Webb of the LNWR.

Though I'm sure I've got a picture in a magazine somewhere of some loco that looks like a single cylinder traction engine driving rail wheels. I suspect it was narrow gauge too.

• RMweb Gold

Though I'm sure I've got a picture in a magazine somewhere of some loco that looks like a single cylinder traction engine driving rail wheels. I suspect it was narrow gauge too.

The Aveling Porter rail engines were actually very successful as industrial shunters and came in a variety of formats and gauges. Several are preserved too :)

Which loco engineer built the engine with two sets of individual driving wheels that could go in opposite directions?

As mentioned below, the product of FW Webb on the LNWR. But an urban myth, I'm afraid, put about by people denigrating his work after his retirement. If they'd been as bad as is made out, the LNWR passenger service would have collapsed - but it didn't.

Surprised no-one's mentioned the Beyer-Lungstrom turbine locomotive. I don't have a photo, but I believe that with the auxiliary chassis it needed to make it work, it was never going to be a success.

As mentioned above, the product of FW Webb on the LNWR. But an urban myth, I'm afraid, put about by people denigrating his work after his retirement. If they'd been as bad as is made out, the LNWR passenger service would have collapsed - but it didn't.

There is a European loco called a Breuer shunter that looks like a wardrobe plonked on top of a bogie.

It's probably not silly design wise and no doubt works very well but it always makes me smile. It must be a candidate for the shortest loco too.

Regards

Veronica.

The British Beyer Garratts.

LNER version ruined by Gresley insisting on his three cylinder layout at both ends with associated complex gubbins. And you build one hugely expensive loco to do some of the banking at Worsboro - thus saving, at best, the massive expense of one crew's pay? That is, when the thing was not on Mexborough shed with a 'not to be moved' sign on it, which by all accounts it often was.

LMS version ruined by having inadequate Midland small engine bits and pieces where it should have had Beyer Peacock standard parts. Big mistake.

Both types could have been brilliant. Though whether it was worth the capital cost of a Garratt to do low-level banking work when second-hand RODs (O4s), standard with a large existing class, were freely available from the government at knock-down prices is highly questionable. The LNER was not really rich enough to waste money like that.

• RMweb Premium

The British Beyer Garratts.

LNER version ruined by Gresley insisting on his three cylinder layout at both ends with associated complex gubbins. And you build one hugely expensive loco to do some of the banking at Worsboro - thus saving, at best, the massive expense of one crew's pay? That is, when the thing was not on Mexborough shed with a 'not to be moved' sign on it, which by all accounts it often was.

LMS version ruined by having inadequate Midland small engine bits and pieces where it should have had Beyer Peacock standard parts. Big mistake.

Both types could have been brilliant. Though whether it was worth the capital cost of a Garratt to do low-level banking work when second-hand RODs (O4s), standard with a large existing class, were freely available from the government at knock-down prices is highly questionable. The LNER was not really rich enough to waste money like that.

The Midland 0-10-0 Big Bertha was in the same category. I didn't do anything that 2 Jinties couldn't do and of course traffic was such that a fleet of Jinties were still required. If it was any good, the Midland would have built a couple more.

Kevin Martin

The Midland 0-10-0 Big Bertha was in the same category. I didn't do anything that 2 Jinties couldn't do and of course traffic was such that a fleet of Jinties were still required. If it was any good, the Midland would have built a couple more.

Kevin Martin

Kevin Martin

And why build a banker with a tender?

• RMweb Premium

That Baldwin was an interesting attempt but I prefer the next well known high power loco 10% more power 60% less weight - DELTIC.

Fell and Leader were both failed attempts, but a good try.

I personally think ANY single driver built after 1890 or so is very silly, Churchward proved this with the City class, and I would love to know what the single driver designers would have thought of a 9F doing 90mph.

Guest Natalie Graham

Brunton's "Mechanical Traveller" of 1813 is a good one. Built with the belief that wheels would not provide adhesion on rails and on the principle that the horses that it was designed to replace had legs, this locomotive had four unpowered wheels and a pair of steam driven legs at one end. Apparently it successfully walked along at 3mph until the boiler exploded

Archived