Scaleforum 2012

Decapod

Well I normally take photos to post on here but with me been up stairs and good and busy, I didn't take any at all to post on here under my other name.

Yes they did have an official photographer but he is a member of the Scalefour society, so they will have a complete photo collection including the trade stands.

It will be better next year when we are all on the same level and I will do my best to take some for this site.

It is up to the us members to take photos and if nobody dose it can't be helped.

.....Jim,

You, and others, are entitle to make up preconceived ideas of me based on obviously a selective choice of posts, but we have not met as far as I am aware. However, I do not see there is need to be so offensive or to make personal judgements on the character of another member who you have no knowledge.

Yes, but you're not exactly helping yourself, are you? :jester:

The only preconceived ideas that I have of you are that you are probably an accountant, and that you look like a cross between Jack Dee and the actor Stephen Lewis. That was a joke, by the way :stinker:

I wish I had gone now as this was the last at Leatherhead. I've been the last couple of years and found it very good, especially the trade support. My car is on its last legs and may not have made it (at any mpg!), so I decided not to go (hopefully getting a new replacement car soon). I would have made more effort to go by train and after learning of the problems with the M25, it would have been the best way for me. Now the exhibition is moving to Stock Mandeville, it's over 2 hours by car or train. I might try going to Railex next May as a test run.

Hmmm! A worrying post. And your comments are noted by me.

and that you look like a cross between Jack Dee and the actor Stephen Lewis. That was a joke, by the way :stinker:

Thanks Ivan, everytime I read one of Kentons posts, I'm going to have that image in my mind..........oh, the sheer horror :scared:

It was a response to 10800 - which could have been better worded and less contrived.

I was never indicating other than exactly as you stated.

But the photos posted on the Scale4um web site would, as 10800 indicated would be official. Thereby sanctioned by them and no doubt selectively professional. It others post on a Scale4um forum - I care not as that is their forum and not RMWeb so good luck to them but I have no interest.

There have been several requests here for photos and I was simply adding to the call that there doesn't seem to be the usual run of "unofficial" photos posted. Just see it as another polite request for some photos of the other layouts to be posted here.

Why does the membership of Scale4um have to be so overprotective, is that why the insular reputation spreads outside?

Tell you what Kenton. I know where you are coming from and to a large extent I agree with you. However:

I model in 00 guage. I am, though, a long term member of the Scalefour Society. (So to some extent the fact that somehow they put up with me makes your assertion that they are insular absurd!!!!)

Why am I a member of the Scalefour Society? I'll tell you:

1) Without any doubt, from what I have seen and know, the membership comprises of the very best 4mm modellers on the planet. Period. I could name names but I won't. I am constantly in awe.

2) In fact the Society is a friendly place to be. I like the people. There is far less bickering and power struggles than many a local club..

Is it elitist? To some degree but I think they have a right to be. IMHO.

Join up! Recommended by me who is a die hard 00 guy!

Met

I did indeed say

own members to contribute to and compile an 'official' photographic record of the event which is placed on their own website

But note the use of 'official' which was intended to mean merely something that was more structured than what would be found on here for instance, so that you can search by event, year, layout etc. There was no intended suggestion that any formal 'approval' was required, I couldn't think of a better word at the time hence the '.....', which Kenton then conveniently removed to suit his own interpretation.

Yes there are many photos of layouts but also (shock horror) less formal pictures of members smiling and even sometimes enjoying themselves. Whatever next. And all available to view by anyone, member or non member. Terribly overprotective.

Guest oldlugger

With reference to the so called mud slinging on this thread and others like it, this is nothing compared to some forums I've been a part of. People here are very calm and polite by comparison to the aforementioned, which have erupted into out right punch ups with language that would make your grandmother swallow her false teeth. It's just not worth the effort to argue here because rarely will the two opposing sides end up agreeing. Model making forums all suffer from this ailment; I belong to an RC boat forum which has exactly the same spats that go nowhere.

On a more worrying note which this thread and others that are P4 related bring out is the whole question of modelling supremacy and divisions within the railway modelling arena. It just seems utterly weird and incomprehensible to me why fellow railway modellers feel the need to be so competitive and territorial with each other; for example if A knows more about the amount of ferrous oxide contained within LNER tender rivets before 1945 than B, who knows more about the sexual cross dressing antics of GWR ticket collectors after 1945 than A, so what? We don't give a hoot (well I might, if it was as entertaining as that). Just enjoy each others layouts and climb off your absurdly lofty towers and add likes to "lesser" layouts on the forum, even if they aren't your chosen scale or era (for example) and SUPPORT each other. This ganging up, closed shop mentality is highly tedious and child like. This is the 21st Century and these old hobby horses should have been disposed of years ago. What is going on here will just drive newcomers to railway modelling far away into the modelling abyss. It's no wonder the railway fraternity has such a crappy geeky image to non railway folk. The latter would laugh themselves hoarse reading a thread such as this... believe me. This would make perfect script material for the likes of Monty Python. Get a grip on yourselves folks!

And as a footnote; I'm sure many will disagree with yours truly or ignore the above... which will be case proved.

Simon

But note the use of 'official' which was intended to mean merely something that was more structured than what would be found on here for instance

The problem was that I interpreted your 'official' as meaning official as in sanctioned by or selected and approved by the hierarchy of Scale4um. Which is not to say I have a problem with them doing that on their site.

I was only after all adding my 2d to the call made by others for more photos of the layouts on here.

On a more worrying note which this thread and others that are P4 related bring out is the whole question of modelling supremacy and divisions within the railway modelling arena.

The really silly thing is that Scalefour Society shows are so friendly! Aside from the small minority of visitors who gave me dirty looks for taking a toddler to Scalefour North but I bet they weren't members...

Scaleforum was full of nice people who appreciate good modelling!

who knows more about the sexual cross dressing antics of GWR ticket collectors after 1945

How long before someone wants photos of this posting?

With reference to the so called mud slinging on this thread and others like it, this is nothing compared to some forums I've been a part of. People here are very calm and polite by comparison to the aforementioned, which have erupted into out right punch ups with language that would make your grandmother swallow her false teeth. It's just not worth the effort to argue here because rarely will the two opposing sides end up agreeing. Model making forums all suffer from this ailment; I belong to an RC boat forum which has exactly the same spats that go nowhere.

On a more worrying note which this thread and others that are P4 related bring out is the whole question of modelling supremacy and divisions within the railway modelling arena. It just seems utterly weird and incomprehensible to me why fellow railway modellers feel the need to be so competitive and territorial with each other; for example if A knows more about the amount of ferrous oxide contained within LNER tender rivets before 1945 than B, who knows more about the sexual cross dressing antics of GWR ticket collectors after 1945 than A, so what? We don't give a hoot (well I might, if it was as entertaining as that). Just enjoy each others layouts and climb off your absurdly lofty towers and add likes to "lesser" layouts on the forum, even if they aren't your chosen scale or era (for example) and SUPPORT each other. This ganging up, closed shop mentality is highly tedious and child like. This is the 21st Century and these old hobby horses should have been disposed of years ago. What is going on here will just drive newcomers to railway modelling far away into the modelling abyss. It's no wonder the railway fraternity has such a crappy geeky image to non railway folk. The latter would laugh themselves hoarse reading a thread such as this... believe me. This would make perfect script material for the likes of Monty Python. Get a grip on yourselves folks!

And as a footnote; I'm sure many will disagree with yours truly or ignore the above... which will be case proved.

Simon

Sorry, but like any other hobby or sport; to those who are kind enough to exhibit their layouts at an exhibition I suspect it IS competative.

Whats wrong with a bit of competition?

Or should we give prizes to everyone?

Met

Guest oldlugger

Sorry, but like any other hobby or sport; to those who are kind enough to exhibit their layouts at an exhibition I suspect it IS competative.

Whats wrong with a bit of competition?

Or should we give prizes to everyone?

Met

Case proved I'm afraid....

I meant competitive in a destructive way... "look at me proles... no one knows more than I do about boiler tube welding". The type of competition one sees between jealous neighbours, with all that goes with that; twitching curtains, etc, etc. Watch Harry Enfield's wealthy geezer from Birmingham sketch to get my drift. Where in my post above did I mention that all layouts are worthy of prizes, or the sort of esteem one pays to Pendon? My point is that we should SUPPORT each other, but I'm afraid to say that many don't see it that way here. Personally I like to comment in a positive way on all sorts of layouts and models, regardless of scale, era, region, correct number of rivets, etc. Your post just adds fuel to the fire... the fire that does nothing for the image of the hobby.

Judge Jeffries

Guest jim s-w

You, and others, are entitle to make up preconceived ideas of me based on obviously a selective choice of posts, but we have not met as far as I am aware. However, I do not see there is need to be so offensive or to make personal judgements on the character of another member who you have no knowledge.

Not preconceived at all Kenton. My opinion is based on years of your whining, moaning postings. It may not be how YOU are but its most certainly the impession you present to us.

Only you can do anything about it but i fear i have merely given you yet another thing to bitch about

Jim

Guest jim s-w

As an exhibitor it most certainly isnt, not in my case anyway

Cheers

Jim

As an exhibitor it most certainly isnt, not in my case anyway

That's all too easy to say when you can confidently walk round an exhibtion and say "mines bigger than yours"! ;)

Guest jim s-w

That's all too easy to say when you can confidently walk round an exhibtion and say "mines bigger than yours"! ;)

Calcutta 1 may have been at a couple of shows, Amlwch and Moor St certainly werent (none of those were (are) mine though)

Cheers

Jim

:offtopic:

so.......any more pics from the show? :D

Yes, but I'm away with work in Amsterdam, and have to host a dinner for a number of colleagues tonight. If the bars don't ###### too late, there may be some later...

However they will be "official" as they will be posted by me ;-) Those of a nervous disposition should look away!

And, in passing, thanks to all of the 2mmFS people that were on the society stand at Scaleforum. You couldn't meet a friendlier bunch, and they *would* have gone away with a new member if I had a little more time "off-duty" to sign up.

Never mind, I'll see Paula again sometime in the future :-)

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

Yes, but I'm away with work in Amsterdam, and have to host a dinner for a number of colleagues tonight. If the bars don't ###### too late, there may be some later...

However they will be "official" as they will be posted by me ;-) Those of a nervous disposition should look away!

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

Paul, I hope that none of these "official" photos are of anything of a dubious nature in Amsterdam.

Reminds me of when I was hawking my Z scale layouts around the exhibition circuit, a gorgeous young vision from Venus would stand in front of the layout, look me straight in the eye and say 'I've never seen one that small before'. I would mumble something about size not being important, Brian.

• RMweb Premium

I have just found this thread. Very entertaining. It really seems as though nothing much has changed over the years since S4 first came into being, (I originally joined in 1977/78). The same old arguments, the same petulance. Some of you aught really to consider getting a life........or start alternative careers as comedy writers. Well, I got a laugh out of it anyway........

The really sad thing is that a lot of people have over the years put a lot of effort into making P4 standards available to as wide a range of modellers as possible. I'm thinking here of those I knew, Ken York and Clive & Beth Evans to name but a few, there are many, many, more. Why is there this seeming continual need for some to demean what others are trying to achieve? I have never understood it, or why when there are other similar scale/gauge combinations it is those of P4 that seem to attract all the naysayers.

Ah well, as they say, that's life.

Izzy

I have never understood it, or why when there are other similar scale/gauge combinations it is those of P4 that seem to attract all the naysayers.

And the 'naysayers' normally have f*** all to do with the Society anyway!

Guest jim s-w

Why is there this seeming continual need for some to demean what others are trying to achieve? I have never understood it, or why when there are other similar scale/gauge combinations it is those of P4 that seem to attract all the naysayers.

Hi Izzy

Perhaps you can find an example where a p4 modeller puts down another person for what they choose to model, just one would do.

You have every right to say and think what you want but i with that comes the responsibility to quantify it.

I must say though as a p4 modeller i feel i come under almost weekly attack for MY choice in scale/gauge choices but that is life indeed.

Jim

Hi Izzy

Perhaps you can find an example where a p4 modeller puts down another person for what they choose to model, just one would do.

You have every right to say and think what you want but i with that comes the responsibility to quantify it.

I must say though as a p4 modeller i feel i come under almost weekly attack for MY choice in scale/gauge choices but that is life indeed.

Jim

Have I really got this to look forward to when I take my P4 Model out onto the road?

I just thought it was progress, people talk about how realistic the new RTR models are and how they can look really lifelike when they have been weathered, although regretably, it is approx .5mm short across the buffers. No one mentions the slight deficiency between the wheels.

I probably shouldn't have joined in this discussion but hey ho. I sit alone in my shed trying to create a model which I hope everyone will like, although I read of rivet counters and other pedants (wrong kind of cow!) and wonder should I really subject myself to this.

• RMweb Gold

I sit alone in my shed trying to create a model which I hope everyone will like, although I read of rivet counters and other pedants (wrong kind of cow!) and wonder should I really subject myself to this.

Yes, because you are working to finer standards - and that must be right. If it were not, we'd all be very happy with Tri-ang, Trix Twin and Hornby Dublo 3-rail. We've all moved on from those days in demanding much higher quality, but only a minority in 4mm have addressed the more difficult issue of gauge as well as superstructure on trains. I'm firmly wedded to 16.5mm - but I will never resent or otherwise disparage those who choose to take things a big stage further. More power to your elbow in working to P4 standards!

Archived