O Gauge 08

two tone green

Said it before....say it again......it's quicker to go on a 'teach me how to solder properly' residential course then take your time building an MMP 08............or two!!! (Out of stock at present, probably the rush to buy and build a quality 08 within 15 years) :jester:

And to cap it all, Dave is a really helpful chap to deal with.......if he can help me, he can help anyone! 

Happy new year, I will look back in a couple of years to see if the release date is a little closer................or not

• 2 weeks later...

From the Tower Models Latest News Page:

"Dapol have now also confirmed the cost of the sound equipped versions of both the Terrier and Class 08 as £399.95 RRP with our price based on this as only £335.00 post free to mainland UK addresses."

So now you know what you will spend - you just need to decide whether the quality meets your expectations for the price !

D

true, like any sound fitted loco - you should know what you are getting inside before you part with your cash (recent Bachmann 4mm releases attest to that)

If it is a Loksound v4 XL chip & speaker then the price is not bad at all

If it is the smaller version with a diddy speaker you may think about fitting your own sound

D

That seems an almighty steep markup for DCC sound at over £200...(assuming the RRP of the non-sound 08 is still less than £200).

Cheers, Mike

I think the RRP for the non sound is £199.99- so it's more or less double. I suspect this is more a reflection on how cheap the basic model is than how expensive the sound is!

Obviously how good a value- or not- this is depends on the quality of the locomotive & of the sound. The Lionheart Panniers are about £170 more with sound fitted and it's not something that will get much cheaper with a cheaper locomotive- if the sound quality and features and the chip quality & performance are on a par with the Pannier then it's probably worth the mark up. I'm hoping the same is true of the Terrier as well!

Of course, there's a selection of "08" sounds already available and presumably it'll be designed with sound fitment in mind, so it'll hopefully be an easy DIY install for those who want to save a few pennies and to choose their favourite chip & sound project.

Not sure what the sound project options are for the Terrier though.

Of course, there's a selection of "08" sounds already available and presumably it'll be designed with sound fitment in mind, so it'll hopefully be an easy DIY install for those who want to save a few pennies and to choose their favourite chip & sound project.

Not sure what the sound project options are for the Terrier though.

Matt,

Not sure about the Terrier, but hope the exhaust has a good bark.

Kind regards,

Paul

Dapol have said they'd be honouring the initial RRP for the first batches of Terriers and 08s, but once they've sold out the RRP will be going up. Presumably then the comparative mark up won't be quite so big.

I am still loathed to pre-order an 08 though, the Terrier looked okay in the mags yet I know nought about them apart from the basics.

Any idea of the official release date of this loco??

I mean if they get it right it will be worth the wait but to keep pushing it further and further away doesn't look good.

I'm sure their might have been another manufacturer who would have had a go and released it by now!!

• 5 months later...

Lets hope that Dapol, after all of this time, have gotten the model nigh on perfect!

Oh dear. Looking at the CAD files they have missed the bonnet taper - I have emailed them about it to double check.

Yep, the CAD bonnet sides are parallel. Unbelievable.....  :nono:

Archived