Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Where else in the world would you find a large pile of unloved and unused EM gauge layouts? You've got your work cut out there Mike, and no doubt the 'garage' is getting bigger by the year!

Point of order Mr Wibble.

The current resident is definitely not unloved, at least by me, and half of it is up and running.

You may have a point on the man cave though, 33m x 10m may not be enough at this rate!

Mike.

My garage?

Phil

There's space over here Phil!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This layout deserves to be shown in the South West of England, so that I can visit it without having to pack supplies for a major expedition to the Uncharted Lands North of Tiverton.

That's because it's one of the best layouts I have ever seen and because I like it a lot.

So there.

• Like 6

From a Warners/BRM perspective it's great news that Damian has taken the project on and that ownership passes from the group to Damian which will lead to further developments and direction. Good luck with everything and it'll be nice to see it back out at some point in the future.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Very pleased that a new home has been found and it's good that one of the original group has put themselves forward to take the layout on.

It's lacked ownership and a sense of direction since the original hectic schedule to get it built was finished, so it's good to see Damian has ideas and drive to take it out on the road. Nice to see the RMweb community also stepping forward to offer help at shows - something we've always struggled with.

• Like 1

This layout deserves to be shown in the South West of England, so that I can visit it without having to pack supplies for a major expedition to the Uncharted Lands North of Tiverton.

That's because it's one of the best layouts I have ever seen and because I like it a lot.

So there.

Sounds great, any particular show in mind?

Perhaps a future tie up with SWAG for operators etc...

Great news. As Phil said, there will be queues of people wanting to help operate wherever you take it, as well as those wanting to see it.

Operating's the luxury part; all the hard work is in loading/unloading/building-up/breaking-down/loading/unloading.

Having helped to operate BCB at Burton DEMU 4 years ago, it's great to see it going to a new home, and to be developed into a Roundy for future Exhibitions. 

All the best Damian, and I hope you enjoy it.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds great, any particular show in mind?

Perhaps a future tie up with SWAG for operators etc...

I was thinking specifically of Exeter, although there are shows at Taunton, Barnstaple, Minehead, Plymouth, and various places in Cornwall, to name a few!

I was thinking specifically of Exeter, although there are shows at Taunton, Barnstaple, Minehead, Plymouth, and various places in Cornwall, to name a few!

We’ve done Barnstaple, Truro, Taunton and Exeter at various times with various layouts.

Always looking for a reason to go to the south west!

As someone who grew up in the Black Country in the70s/80s, I look forward to being able to see this excellent layout again.

Although I wasn’t on rmweb at the time of the original build, research of various topics have taken me to the build threads/blogs. They’re excellent and inspirational reads.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think this is a really positive step forward for the layout, I'm glad that it has been able to move from group ownership to being owned by one of the original group of builders.  As others have said, I look forward to seeing it back out on the exhibition circuit.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We’ve done Barnstaple, Truro, Taunton and Exeter at various times with various layouts.

Always looking for a reason to go to the south west!

Sadly will not get to Barnstaple as both myself and Ray are no longer involved in the club. However, there has been talk of doing our own thing, maybe one day ……

Myself, son and Ray and would be happy to help out if you do get down this way in the future.

Good to see that you have taken on the layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a PM from Clearwater of this parish in the week asking how the scenics were built up from or down into the boards. Took a trip down memory lane and these photos from nearly 6 years ago (doesn't time fly) hopefully show what was done.

Boards as built by Damian with the trackbed raised up from the lowest datum point.

post-6675-0-02703700-1528615930_thumb.jpg

The viaduct had wooden piers and a ply edge strip on which to add the scenic overlays.

post-6675-0-20445300-1528616009_thumb.jpg

The scenic landforms were built up from the board datum by adding in sheets of Celotex or polystyrene to slightly higher than needed level and then lots of carving and cutting to get the required contours. The big long hole is for a canal lock.

post-6675-0-48325600-1528616098_thumb.jpg

So it looked like this before disappearing in green stuff...

post-6675-0-74590100-1528616280.jpg

The Celotex/polystyrene was covered in a layer of Wickes lightweight filler and scrim mesh before being painted a delightful green to seal it off.

post-6675-0-07050900-1528616432_thumb.jpg

Lots more photos in the June-August 2012 date range in this thread.

(the garage is nowhere near as tidy or empty these days and I'd struggle fitting in any boards!)

• Like 12

I had a PM from Clearwater of this parish in the week asking how the scenics were built up from or down into the boards. Took a trip down memory lane and these photos from nearly 6 years ago (doesn't time fly) hopefully show what was done.

Boards as built by Damian with the trackbed raised up from the lowest datum point.

attachicon.gifpost-6675-0-49133700-1344849444.jpg

The viaduct had wooden piers and a ply edge strip on which to add the scenic overlays.

attachicon.gifpost-1-0-22679100-1344538340.jpg

The scenic landforms were built up from the board datum by adding in sheets of Celotex or polystyrene to slightly higher than needed level and then lots of carving and cutting to get the required contours. The big long hole is for a canal lock.

attachicon.gifpost-6675-0-18522700-1344985148.jpg

So it looked like this before disappearing in green stuff...

attachicon.gifpost-1-0-34056700-1345738514.jpg

The Celotex/polystyrene was covered in a layer of Wickes lightweight filler and scrim mesh before being painted a delightful green to seal it off.

attachicon.gifpost-6675-0-25032800-1346527899.jpg

Lots more photos in the June-August 2012 date range in this thread.

(the garage is nowhere near as tidy or empty these days and I'd struggle fitting in any boards!)

Picture 4 apears to show the lesser spotted cottages built by Andy Y, or maybe just a mock up?

• RMweb Premium

Picture 4 apears to show the lesser spotted cottages built by Andy Y, or maybe just a mock up?

Were they just a mock up at that point - a photo on some board? I really don't remember but the photo was from the night everyone came round and we brought all the boards together for a planning session. Very rare thereafter to have them all in one place iirc.

• RMweb Premium

Probably the key difference to the "normal" approach to building a layout would be how far the scenic work was taken to before track laying started. Think that on the whole that approach worked really well.

Made access to the underside of the raised trackbed difficult for Geoff though. I seem to recall he also wasn't overly impressed with the brown carpet underlay that left fibers all over the place...

Link to the 2012 working party with commentary from Mr York...http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56607-black-country-blues/page-32&do=findComment&comment=766976

Made access to the underside of the raised trackbed difficult for Geoff though. I seem to recall he also wasn't overly impressed with the brown carpet underlay that left fibers all over the place...

Link to the 2012 working party with commentary from Mr York...http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56607-black-country-blues/page-32&do=findComment&comment=766976

I’ve looked very closely at these pics of the ‘working party’.

I don’t think anybodys fooled, especially with empty pint glasses clearly in view...

• Like 1