The CLC through Stockport

• RMweb Gold

It's becoming common but if all our towns and cities were full of derelict railway lines it wouldn't say much for progress.

Not always necessarily so though, if the GC & GN lines were still extant in Nottingham, with a bit of forward thinking the tram could solve a lot of the congestion problems.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

It's becoming common but if all our towns and cities were full of derelict railway lines it wouldn't say much for progress.

It surprises me that the route from Ardwick to Victoria still survives, that part of Manchester must still be waiting for it's building revolution.

At the time of the Manchester Olympic bid about 30 years ago there was a plan to re-instate a section of that line as part of an 'Inner Circle' linking all of the Manchester city centre stations and main venues. It raised its head again at the time of planning for the 2002 Commonwealth Games bid but always got put into the too difficult pile.

• RMweb Gold

Two more shots from Stockport yesterday, this time from the Wellington Road North end of the new link road.

The first is at the site of the CLC Goods Shed. I am standing at the corner of what used to be Bank Street more or less directly on top of the old tunnel.

post-9767-0-04708600-1536697381.jpg

The second is the site of Railway Street to the north side of the goods shed yard.

post-9767-0-41851800-1536697310.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cab ride around Manchester freight lines in 1992 which includes Bredbury to Woodley and Skelton Junction to Partington.

Interesting, and brings back a few memories of what things were like. If the train was heading to Partington, why did it not travel Guide Bridge Station Junction - Denton Junction instead of taking the route it did? Would have saved time/fuel, etc., or was it bound up in pre-nationalisation ways of doing things?

Interesting, and brings back a few memories of what things were like. If the train was heading to Partington, why did it not travel Guide Bridge Station Junction - Denton Junction instead of taking the route it did? Would have saved time/fuel, etc., or was it bound up in pre-nationalisation ways of doing things?

I was wondering about that at first, but they do mention on some of the commentary that it's a passenger train so I'm guessing that it was a railtour.

Having watched the video Michael shared earlier this week and those images of Partington you can see how quickly things shrank there - by the time of the video only the track to the right of the junction remained, the through route long gone and no sign of the sidings on the left.

The single track to Partington remained or is it remains well into the 2000s albeit unsed, a new housing estate at the tip of Altrincham straddled it along with a Waitrose, the track and trackbed becoming overgrown with grass.

• 3 weeks later...

D5238 Stockport Tiviot Dale. 2E92 19:22 Manchester Central to Sheffield Midland, no date. Copyright Dave Homer, shared with his permission.

attachicon.gif392CBAD1-7484-4EC9-898F-C3219FC08457.jpeg

The loco isn't D5238,has to be one of the D5233-37 batch, as it has a working boiler, on a later body style 25, which is the first photo I've seen of one of the 5 so fitted working. 

Paul J.

• Like 1

The loco isn't D5238,has to be one of the D5233-37 batch, as it has a working boiler, on a later body style 25, which is the first photo I've seen of one of the 5 so fitted working. 

Paul J.

http://www.langholmpicturearchive.com/album/2998.jpg

Hard to say if this one is working!

Edited by 'CHARD