The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

We're just back from visiting brother-in-law and family near Houston, Texas. Brother-in-law lives beside a man-made lake northwest of Houston, with quite a few birds living on or beside the lake. Here's an egret:

post-1771-0-85587300-1492659038.jpg

And a couple of Egyptian Geese (which they hadn't seen before):

post-1771-0-52751700-1492659076.jpg

This is a picture of a 'crayfish chimney' built by a Houston Burrowing Crayfish (really!) with soil removed from the burrow it has excavated in the ground below. This species was only identified in 2008 - http://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2012/jul/scout5_wildthing_crayfish/ . The paint roller is to give scale and compare shape - I was going to use a beer can, but those are smaller in Texas(!):

post-1771-0-94377700-1492659284.jpg

Edited by pH
  • Like 4

attachicon.gifIMG_20170412_091159327_HDR.jpg

I don't know what type of snake this is, other than 'dead', and I don't care. B-i-L has make a snake catching pole - this is probably the biggest one he's caught with it.

It looks like a Python of some type.

Edit:

Marking look like it's possibly a Ball Python, not far off fully grown. Popular as a pet as they're fairly docile. Not know as an invasive species in the US.

Unless we have a snake expert who can confirm what species this is???

Edited by JZ
  • Like 2

Visited 4 national parks in India in February with the sole intent of seeking and successfully finding ;-

post-8230-0-28461700-1492672360_thumb.jpg

post-8230-0-83820400-1492672476_thumb.jpg

post-8230-0-37423700-1492672614_thumb.jpg

A total of 5 tigers and 1 leopard

Sheer  beauty

Pete

Edited by cb900f
  • Like 15

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To quote an ancient West of Scotland hunting cry - "Erraberr!"

post-1771-0-95810200-1495741116.jpg

post-1771-0-33702100-1495741089.jpg

A visitor to the garden next door this morning. We reckon it's a one and a half year old. This is about the time the mother kicks them out to fend for themselves. With two young grandchildren arriving for a stay later today, this isn't great news, but at least we now know there's a bear about. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A couple of fairly tame rabbits close to the A259 between Newhaven and Bishopstone.

post-14351-0-11014500-1496009493_thumb.jpg

We have also seen the return of, what is most likely, a dumped Red-eared Terrapin, in our local pond. It has reappeared very infrequently over the past three or four years.

post-14351-0-89928300-1496790383_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Phil, is the turtle an invasive species, & should be removed ?

I don't know whether it is or isn't. It is a solitary specimen of a small type of turtle, which only appears occasionally in the pond. The pond is isolated from any other body of water and in an urban setting. Its chances of causing any grief to the local wildlife seem very slim.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know whether it is or isn't. It is a solitary specimen of a small type of turtle, which only appears occasionally in the pond. The pond is isolated from any other body of water and in an urban setting. Its chances of causing any grief to the local wildlife seem very slim.

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/red_eared_terrapin.htm

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's lucky I glanced in the water butt as I was leaving for work today to see if there'd been any overnight rain to refill it. There was a very unhappy bat floating in it, still alive but not moving that much. When I fished it out with a bucket it quickly crawled off out of sight so hopefully it's OK. I know you're not supposed to disturb bats but I hope that doesn't count.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I know you're not supposed to disturb bats but I hope that doesn't count.

You're not supposed to disturb their roosting places so rescuing one doesn't count.

I'd draw the line at mouth to mouth though, it'd take its chances

Edited by chris p bacon

• 2 weeks later...