Railex 2013 Aylesbury 25th & 26th May

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold

Just got back from a superb day out.

I have come to expect excellence from Railex over the years but the 2013 show moved everything up a couple more notches.

The overall standard of exhibits was amazing - there was nothing on show that was not a good example of its genre..

My taste generally leans towards 4mm scale but had seen most before (some more than once, but I do attend a lot of shows) so was probably less 'whelmed' than I should have been by the quality on offer.

The layouts in 3mm and 2mm finescale were fine ambassadors for their respective scales. I had seen one of the excellent 3mm ones before as well as Jerry Clifford's exquisite Tucking Mill in 2FS. Sandown and the two larger 2FS layouts, Fence Houses and St Ruth, were both new to me and demonstrated the strength of 2mm scale in representing biggish chunks of railway within context extremely well though I personally felt the latter would benefit from slightly gentler lighting. I returned to all five more than once.

Of the 4mm layouts, Leicester South (GC) and St Merryn were already personal favourites and Eskmuir earned a place on the list.

Like Tucking Mill, Chris Nevard's 4mm Polbrook Gurney showed to great effect that quite a lot of modelling can be presented in a small space without looking cluttered. The On30 logging layout, The Mill (Mumby Lumber Co) took that to another level - one that probably should have looked cluttered but most definitely didn't. Wow! Probably the most impressive layout of its kind that I have ever seen. The other big (ish) narrow gauge layout, Crumley and Little Wickhill (OO9) was another "railway within the landscape" but presented in a very novel way that certainly grabbed my attention.

Reaching the far end of the hall where the O Gauge contingent were concentrated, I was very impressed by the 1930s atmosphere portrayed on Bucks Hill. I commented to the friend who had accompanied me that I would hate to have to pick a 'Best in Show' only to walk round the corner and be completely blown away by Heyside - a superb representation of a railway as I remember some of them (grubby but wonderful). The nearest thing I have yet seen to a time machine! Looks great, sounds great and very well operated.

There was little to criticise in the rest of the layouts (maybe one or two prototypes that aren't really my cup of tea, but all well executed). There would be little point in reproducing the show guide verbatim!

Trade support was of the quality and variety we have become accustomed to at Railex and I was parted from a fair bit of my modelling budget for the next few months. Apologies to all who didn't get a share!

I would like to thank all those involved; organisers, stewards, the very cheerful guys manning the car parking (a vital but often thankless task, but at least the sun shone for them this weekend) all the exhibitors, traders and demonstrators that made the 330 mile round trip so worthwhile.

My feet hurt and I don't care - I'll definitely be back.

John

Having no proper assistant for the weekend meant that I was only able to get a cursory glimpse of most of the layouts, let alone chat to my many fellow traders, so I'm really appreciating the photographs put up on this thread;- Thank you all!

The one bonus was that I was directly opposite Mr. Nevard's latest creation, & got to observe the amount of interest it created.. One thing that particularly struck me was the lighting, which from a distant view seemed brighter & of a different quality than elsewhere.. It made my & my neighbours halogens (which I've always considered bright) look yellow & dull.... 

Everything I did see, however, was to the usual superb standard, & the excellent spread of traders was such that I could pick up my needs for the next few jobs, plus touch base with some of the northern traders for whom this excellent show is our only point of personal contact..

As always, a huge pleasure to take part in, & lots of interesting folks to chat with, even if I didn't recognise any of you as fellow RMwebbers!

Thanks again to David & his team for laying on the best show I've ever attended for the umpteenth time....

I had seen both the excellent 3mm ones

Not quite sure were you saw the 3mm layout Sandown as it was it's first showing.

I did spend some time trying to get the floor plan so it gave plenty of free space around the bigger layouts, to avoid pinch points, so this may have given the feeling that the show was less busy. 

I am just wading through a whole pile of feedback forms at the moment, not too many moans as yet but mostly connected with things outside our control, but we do take note and if we can improve things we will.

David

• RMweb Gold

Not quite sure were you saw the 3mm layout Sandown as it was it's first showing.

I did spend some time trying to get the floor plan so it gave plenty of free space around the bigger layouts, to avoid pinch points, so this may have given the feeling that the show was less busy. 

I am just wading through a whole pile of feedback forms at the moment, not too many moans as yet but mostly connected with things outside our control, but we do take note and if we can improve things we will.

David

Sorry, the danger of re-editing what you have typed when you should really have gone to bed an hour ago! I'll change it!

John

• RMweb Gold

Simply an excellent show, for me one of the best Railex shows yet.

A couple 'stand outs' were Fencehouses with its sheer size and its impression of a 'railway in the landscape' so well captured and of course Bucks Hill with its effective scenics and the clever use of perspective modelling. ...then not forgetting Tucking Mill and Polbrook Gurney.....one could just go on...!

Some of the scenic and presentational techniques seen have given us some good inspiration and ideas for Balcombe.

Thank you David and your team. Very well done.

A few snaps.

post-6728-0-85288600-1369643521_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-92620500-1369643547_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-35104300-1369643584_thumb.jpg

A superb use of perspective modelling. The 'field' in the centre is in fact almost vertical. Also the use of a 'ditch' to separate the foreground from the backscene is very effective.

post-6728-0-62978500-1369643602_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-74845600-1369643650_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-26445500-1369643674_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-91200600-1369643701_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-33023100-1369643731_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-26437300-1369643751_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-28313100-1369643773_thumb.jpg

Thank you to everyone who stopped by the Pendon stand at the weekend. We had a great time, speaking to plenty of people including large numbers of Friends and some who have not yet paid us a visit.

We had a great location (thank you David) in the middle of the hall opposite the fabulous On30 layout "The Mill" whose friendly team deservedly won the best model award for their workshop.

248192_10151677114953615_849146043_n.jpg

Andy

• RMweb Gold

David

David, 

The only slightly adverse comment I would make is that the roadside signing was not as clear as it could have been - hence I drove past the new roundabout and then retraced my steps to it.  Otherwise everything 'outside' the hall was as good as ever with no quibbles at all - while inside was superb of course.

Hi All,

Just a quick note to to say how much myself and two of my fellow 81E volunteers enjoyed the show yesterday - I had a cab ride in a Deltic on Saturday and a brilliant model show courtesy of David and his fellow orgainisers on Sunday. To say that I have enjoyed myself is a bit of an understatement...

It was our first visit to Railex but I can say we will definitely go again next year. Well done and thanks to all concerned with the show!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

I only managed a quick look at Sandown, a new 3mm layout. hope to see it again at another show.

post-6821-0-80396100-1369653150_thumb.jpg

Did the four barrels of beer last the evening?

Hello

Thankyou all for you kind words about the show.

The Awards at Railex 2013 are as follows:

Best Layout: Bucks Hill By Kevin Wilson

Best Model: The Mill on the left hand end of The Mill (The Mumber Lumber Co) by Jacq Damen.

Photos of the presentations can be found on our Club website using the below link:

http://www.rdmrc.org.uk/Railex2013/Awards2013.html

I was on the Club's Secondhand Stall all weekend, and I think that we sold more items this year than in previous ones; as the Saturday was very busy.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

Guest D.J.K.

I wouldn't normally do a 380 mile round trip for a day visit to an exhibition, but the prospect of seeing Bucks Hill with a backscene wasn't something I was going to miss... And what a backscene it was.  The blending of 2D and 3D certainly takes things to a new level, and added greatly to an already good layout .      

The rest of the show was equally fine.  Many first class layouts, any one of which would have been the highlight of your   average show.  Interesting trade to, wallet was rather lighter on the way home!

Sunday was a good day to go.  The hall was busy but not at all overcrowded.

IMHO an exceptionally good Railex, which for me confirms its reputation as probably the Finescale show at the moment....

Thanks to all concerned..

Cheers Dave       

• RMweb Premium

I made the pilgrimage to Aylesbury again this year, though this was the first time by road as I couldn't get the time off to do it by rail as is usual. I have a few piccies to post once I get time to download them from the camera, i'll try not to duplicate to many of the excellent ones already posted.

Cheers SS.

PS a cracking show again. :good:

It looks to have been as great a show that it promised to be; really disappointed to not be able to make it this time but thank goodness for all the posts on here that show what a great event its been.

I would concur with everything said above. It was an excellent exhibition with some fantastic layouts. On the signage comment by station master above I would agree. They seemed to disappear as we got nearer the venue and I did turn into the hospital before realising my error. Having only been to railex once before I did the fortunately recognise the surrounding housing estate and arrived with out further problem.

• RMweb Gold

A first visit to Railex for me this year - and a very fine show indeed IMHO. Good venue, great mix of layouts, multiple traders covering many needs, helpful catering - and a ride on a Routemaster from the station. Add to that that I met a dozen RMwebbers, in addition to the trio I'd met earlier in the week, and you have a recipe for contentment.

One word sums it up - Recommended!

I went on Sunday, enjoyed a ride (top deck) on the bus,

had a great time (11:20 to 4:50), bus ride back.

There wasn't a single layout that could be considered

average or just ok, they were all great, with most being

excellent (mostly to do with prototype/scale preferences)

The ones that really impressed, and stick in my memory

the most have to be 'Bucks Hill', 'Fence Houses', 'The Mill'

and 'Crumley & Little Wickhill'.

I only met one other RMweb'er there, that I knew, but then

I only know 4, and 2 of them belong to my local club!

Looking foward to next year, although, how it is going to 

match this year, remains to be seen.

Jeff

Visited Saturday, spent four hours instead of the planned three, late to pick my son up, endured an ear bashing from him and then SWMBO.....who cares!

Great show, as good, maybe better than past years, but what do we expect from what has become the premier finescale show? Keep up the good work David, no pressure but a lot of people already seem to have high expectations of next year!

Archived