Railex 2013 Aylesbury 25th & 26th May

David Bigcheeseplant

Cannot add much more than has already been said. My friends and I had an outstanding show. Pity our Steam on the Met train was an hour late or we could have been in earlier.

Thanks to all concerned.

Mike Wiltshire

Not too much to add to all the above, brilliant show.  The general consensus of the travelling DRAG flotilla on Sunday was that Fence Houses was the star of the show alongside Bucks Hill, but there were no duds whatsoever.  I also especially enjoyed Leicester South, Eskmuir, Polbrook Gurney, Tucking Mill and St Ruth in no particular order and all for different reasons.  The Mill I couldn't get near most of the time.  I've seen St Merryn several times but despite all its 'attention to detail' (don't they all?) it always seems a bit sterile to me.

Anyway, the viaduct on Fence Houses gave John and me some useful hints for consideration of what viewing height we should use for Balcombe Viaduct:

post-6669-0-32685500-1369743765.jpg

post-6669-0-47210500-1369743770.jpg

post-6669-0-74387100-1369743775.jpg

post-6669-0-78457600-1369743779.jpg

Elsewhere on Fence Houses some woodland which has not just trees but saplings and other vegetation on the wood floor - brilliant!

post-6669-0-79584300-1369743786.jpg

And on Bucks Hill, two views of the same bit of scenery showing what you can do with optical illusion!

post-6669-0-54607600-1369743793.jpg

post-6669-0-97636900-1369743803.jpg

We will try and ensure we have more or bigger signs to the stadium next year.

Although someone asked when they had parked in the stadium car park what building Railex was in! another comment was not enough finescale traders!

Oh well I do my best to get things right each year just can't yet manage total perfection for some.

David

Although someone asked when they had parked in the stadium car park what building Railex was in! another comment was not enough finescale traders!

Oh well I do my best to get things right each year just can't yet manage total perfection for some.

David

I think most of us would would expect you to do better with the weather on Friday David, you allowed it to rain most of the afternoon. B- sir.....

• RMweb Gold

another comment was not enough finescale traders!

The lady on the C&L stand had a chilling message - Royal Mail now don't accept many of their Carrs products, and will no longer accept long track products, either. However, the breadth of their range makes carrying sufficient stocks to a show really difficult - they need a much bigger van! This sort of thing is not good news for them or their customers.

• RMweb Gold

David

We had a fantastic weekend with Tucking Mill - many thanks to David and the team. Off to Greece silly o'clock tomorrow morning but will post some pictures when I get back.

Did overhear one chap moaning to his mate that there were only two O gauge layouts this year!! :banghead: 

Jerry 

The lady on the C&L stand had a chilling message - Royal Mail now don't accept many of their Carrs products, and will no longer accept long track products, either. However, the breadth of their range makes carrying sufficient stocks to a show really difficult - they need a much bigger van! This sort of thing is not good news for them or their customers.

If Carrs packaged their products like junk mail the Royal Mail would bite their hand off!

XF

Apologies to Andy C for mixing him up with Andy Y its due to advancing age ! Eskmuir was an excellent layout and a very good recreation of Brecin thanks for entertainingng me.

Well I dont have much hair either I suppose...............

Saw you in the distance but was in command of the yard at the time!

Well Railex is over for another year, although I do have plenty of good layouts booked for future years I just wondered what layouts you would like to see at if I am able to get them to Aylesbury.

I am not too sure how long I will contiue as Railex manager as it will be ten shows next year, but as long I have the pasion to do it then I will do it.

David

If they are continuing their "look, but can't buy" policy, then it won't be good news. But if they bring along just the stuff that the Royal Mail now turns up its nose at, then they might just be able to earn something at a show.....

Plenty of alternatives to Royal Mail these days........Royal Mail's loss.

Well Railex is over for another year, although I do have plenty of good layouts booked for future years I just wondered what layouts you would like to see at if I am able to get them to Aylesbury.

I am not too sure how long I will contiue as Railex manager as it will be ten shows next year, but as long I have the pasion to do it then I will do it.

David

In my experience of holding any position of club officer, your wishes have little sway to the outcome, it's usually down to you finding someone else mug enough to take it on! Seriously though, you have the benefit of an excellent venue and a good customer catchment area which reduces the commercial risk involved in organising a show. As long as you think it's right for you to carry on, often helped by how successful you can be at it, then keep on doing what you enjoy. See Mr Ferguson if you need any further encouragement, ten years? A mere novice, there's better days to come yet I'm sure.

Well now back home in darkest North Lincolnshire, assume that the bomber has landed back in Hull (AKA Crumley and Little Wickhill) OK. Excellent Show David and thanks for inviting us.  Also for the details of the local drinking holes.  The Hop Pole was excellent!

Please pass our thanks to all involved in the organisation.

Peter

Hull MRS

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Other traders are running into similar issues - Phoenix Precision Paints have this on their website:

"Following changes to Royal Mail's terms and conditions, it is now an offence to ship any type of solvent or solvent based paints through either the Royal Mail or Parcelforce.  (This applies to both Business's and Individuals.)
This is a blanket ban (according to Royal Mail staff this is due to 'Health and Safety !!) that has superceded any previous contracts and agreements in place with either Royal Mail or Parcelforce.
We will be switching to a courior for our UK shipments BUT the minimum cost of shipping will have to rise, However, you will get the benefit of next day delivery and tracking.

Until we have sorted out these problems we have removed the paint areas of the site from public view and with effect from 12 midday on the 12th April 2013 until sorted we will NOT honour any orders with old postage prices."

- It's affecting Ebay too - six quid postage for a £2-99 tin of paint :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P963-Brake-Dust-Phoenix-Precision-Paint-Tinlet-14ml-/321002662421?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4abd3fea15

If they are continuing their "look, but can't buy" policy, then it won't be good news. But if they bring along just the stuff that the Royal Mail now turns up its nose at, then they might just be able to earn something at a show.....

I've heard about this "no stock" issue also; I picked up a leaflet from the C&L Stand at ExpoEM which explains the reasoning behind this:

(a) A greatly increased range of stock following taking over of Exactoscale.

( B) Stock now has to be loaded onto our (C&L's) van a day earlier, resulting in delays to web orders during the lead up to shows (I tried typing a "b" at the start of this sentence but it keeps coming up as a cool dude in sunglasses?)

© Worsening situation to Pete Llewellyn's chronic back pain.  He can no longer cope with load/unloading the huge amount of stock C&L now carry.

(I can certainly relate to the latter, as I'm sure anyone who's suffered back issues can also.  After a few hours wandering around a show I've had enough.  Imagine driving to a show, unloading all the stock, manning a stand from doors open to doors close, then again the next day.  And then pack the lot up and drive maybe 100-200 miles home...)

On a positive note, you can now order from C&L in advance and collect at a show with free delivery, or alternatively order at a show with subsequent free delivery (presumably this includes Carrs products, solvents etc. by Courier?).  To my mind the latest option of display boards does allow you to view far more products than before, which must be a good thing?  (No connections to C&L, usual disclaimers apply etc. etc. ;) )

polybear

• RMweb Gold

I've heard about this "no stock" issue also; I picked up a leaflet from the C&L Stand at ExpoEM which explains the reasoning behind this:

(a) A greatly increased range of stock following taking over of Exactoscale.

( B) Stock now has to be loaded onto our (C&L's) van a day earlier, resulting in delays to web orders during the lead up to shows (I tried typing a "b" at the start of this sentence but it keeps coming up as a cool dude in sunglasses?)

© Worsening situation to Pete Llewellyn's chronic back pain.  He can no longer cope with load/unloading the huge amount of stock C&L now carry

I sympathise with Pete Llewellyn's back problems, being a (somewhat lesser, thank goodness) sufferer myself. I can appreciate that this is no fun whatsoever.

However, as a customer, I find the whole 'display items only' thing a huge turn-off, and on Sunday I simply walked on by.

I'm sure I'm not alone in being the kind of customer that only realises they need something when seeing it on the stand at an exhibition? For me, the pre-ordering option is only of limited use, as I frequently compile my exhibition shopping list at the last minute...

Surely a compromise might be to take a selection of popular items only (especially items costly to post), which would reduce the amount of time to load the van and hopefully ease the discomfort to Pete's back? A note on their website could, then, inform customers what can be purchased from the show and what would need to be ordered?

You need to add a space between the b and the bracket otherwise it thinks it's an emoticon code :sungum:  

I sympathise with Pete Llewellyn's back problems, being a (somewhat lesser, thank goodness) sufferer myself. I can appreciate that this is no fun whatsoever.

However, as a customer, I find the whole 'display items only' thing a huge turn-off, and on Sunday I simply walked on by.

I'm sure I'm not alone in being the kind of customer that only realises they need something when seeing it on the stand at an exhibition? For me, the pre-ordering option is only of limited use, as I frequently compile my exhibition shopping list at the last minute...

Surely a compromise might be to take a selection of popular items only (especially items costly to post), which would reduce the amount of time to load the van and hopefully ease the discomfort to Pete's back? A note on their website could, then, inform customers what can be purchased from the show and what would need to be ordered?

I think that many of us can sympathise with back problems, and I hope that it gets no worse. However, I have to agree with CK that a number of my purchases here haven't been pre-meditated and several have arisen through chatting with others at the show and going straight over to them and making a purchase... and it's my favourite stand to browse... I always come away with something, so the loss of their material presence will be sad; a display board is better than nothing, but not by much. Sorry.

I may be perverse but which is the most objectionable?

See something on a stand and buy it, meaning you have to carry it around all of the time until you get home and then not use it for several days.

- or -

See something on a stand and buy it but not have to be encumbered by the load only to have it delivered in a few days when you are ready to use it?

I speak as someone who made an impulse purchase of a R S U at a show several hundred miles from home whilst travelling by train

Wally

• RMweb Gold

I found that going round the show with GWRob helped to keep my shopping list in focus although he did accuse me of making some sort of impulse buy when I bought a newly published colour album of WR pictures (not that I can work out why that should be 'impulse' as opposed to 'essential' shopping  :scratchhead: ).   Last year I spent several £s with C&L, this year I hardly bothered to look although I probably would have again been tempted had I seen the right things on offer.

And having made weekly visits to the chiropractor since the Captain's Taunton extravaganza I do sympathise with everyone else who has back troubles!

• RMweb Gold

making some sort of impulse buy when I bought a newly published colour album of WR pictures (not that I can work out why that should be 'impulse' as opposed to 'essential' shopping  :scratchhead: ). 

You hadn't planned to buy it that's what I mean by impulse.I was only jealous.Was it worth buying you haven't said.

If you can find their depot tucked around the back of a trading estate 30 miles away :no:

Maybe, but Royal Mail seems happy enough giving business away, and some of their sorting offices are in no better locations.

Archived