Railex 2013 Aylesbury 25th & 26th May

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Premium

Well as has been said before, some excellent layouts many that I had not seen before and all a very high standard.

Good trader mix, catering acceptable parking beyond your control.

Great day out

See you next year

Well done to all the team.

Eltel

Exhibition Manager Stafford 1979 to 2011

Why would we fire on our destination, certainly before our chance to rape and pillage buy some goodies from the trade stands?!  :lol:

And I suspect those hardy Northern Gentlemen will be sleeping off an excess of southern nancy beer, to see us creeping into harbour.  :P

Anyway, isn't it time you're in bed, young Sir?! Early start tomorrow! Toodle pip!

Most northern gentlemen have been well fed and watered tonight but are still in good spirits for a hearty battle tomorrow.......

Thanks for the comments on Railex, a few updates, Polsithney was unable to attend due to some damage to the layout while being loaded.

The roadway to our overspill car park from the stadium had barriers that the stadium was unable to find the key to so, it was rather manic as we had to direct cars the long way round via the main road, although the problem was solved later in the day with an angle grinder!

The bus worked well as we added in a couple more runs just to cope with amount of people using it one run back to the station had 62 people on it, we also took the decision due to the car park issue above to use our bus stop by the school as bringing the bus into the stadium would have added traffic issue.

Anyway off back to the stadium in a bit for the third day in a row.

David

• RMweb Premium

Superb show, excellent balance of layouts and trade, the detail in the layouts this year was truly stunning and on this evidence I would say that the standard of scenery building is improving in leaps and bounds. Another mark of a good show is to be able to get everything on ones list of goodies, again Railex gets a tick there.

Thanks guys for a superb Railex 2013

• RMweb Premium

Despite being very busy packing and getting ready for Friday's house move, I managed to get to Railex for a few hours yesterday afternoon and boy, am I glad I did. I've been to the last four shows and it is my favourite on the calendar, with this year's being the best of the lot. Every layout was fantastic, Heyside probably being my favourite.

In my three and a bit hours, I managed to only spend £5 (a good thing :)), chat to a fair few familiar faces and the icing on the cake, have a play for an hour and a half on the fantastic Eskmuir with the Rochdale crew, who had a rather impressive array of bottled beers behind the layout. Cheers guys, and see you on a Wednesday evening in the not too distant future.

• RMweb Premium

A fantastic exhibition, which started on a high after securing pole position (purely by chance) in the car park right outside the door :).

Here's some photos (apologies for any duplication with those already posted, and/or dodgy focus...):

Bucks Hill (joint best of the show in my book - the backscene swung it for me):

post-289-0-15198900-1369556215_thumb.jpg

post-289-0-38761500-1369556314_thumb.jpg

post-289-0-59259300-1369557488_thumb.jpg

A nice steam crane on Bucks Hill (when will someone do a nice Cowans Sheldon in 4mm etched brass, or even a decent RTR? It'd fly out the door...).  Sorry about the photo - the focus is somewhat iffy :(

post-289-0-00835900-1369556674_thumb.jpg

post-289-0-78017200-1369556618_thumb.jpg

post-289-0-28664400-1369556714_thumb.jpg

Next:  Mr. Nevard's latest masterpiece - my other vote for top spot:

post-289-0-67671700-1369556894_thumb.jpg

post-289-0-28342300-1369556962_thumb.jpg

post-289-0-22920600-1369557021_thumb.jpg

post-289-0-89518200-1369557125_thumb.jpg

Fencehouses in 2mm - that viaduct is something else:

post-289-0-01959700-1369557247_thumb.jpg

post-289-0-95681500-1369557276_thumb.jpg

The detail in the workshops on the American Logging layout was something else:

post-289-0-92476600-1369557658_thumb.jpg

post-289-0-11873100-1369557719_thumb.jpg

post-289-0-42732900-1369557764_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to all concerned with the organisation of the event, and I hope the weekend was kind to the good spread of traders in attendance.  Just one problem - how are you going to top it for next year guys??

polybear

post-289-0-17020600-1369557416_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Great shots polybear, showing some spectacular scenery on superb layouts. Railex 2013 will rightly be remembered as one of the best shows ever, anywhere.

Thank you for a very good exhibition,the top layout for me was Fencehouses it is a masterpeice with fantastic scenery and rolling stock ,Eskmuir a fine model and complemented by great rolling stock.It was good to see so many old freinds who still enjoy their modeling particularily on Sandown a very high quality representation of the prototype.Leicester South is so like the real place and I could almost have been on the Cutler towards Marylebone ,the trade as usual was excellent ,Green Scene were as usual extremely helpful and Road Transport Images gave me a great deal of info,cant wait to build one of their kits.I enjoyed my bus ride to and from the stadium nice to ride on a proper bus with comfortable seats so  David and co well done hears to next year.

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree with everyones kind words on this fabulous show that seemed like an unofficial RMweb members day at times with meeting people during my time there who have become friends through my layout thread to people whos work I admire.

Bucks Hill was my standout as I knew it would be.Very much liked that backscene everyones talking about.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely top notch  show - congratulations to David and other members of the Risborough club for doing such a superb job.  High quality layouts all round from the small such as Tucking Mill through the rest of the field right up to Pont Bucks Hill plus some excellent quality running and operating, and even some great signalling (Heyside - superb).  Good and useful trade representation always a Railex plus as well.

If you come up with any more like this David I think we should recommend you for an MBE!

Hi,

Just returned from Railex and would like to echo the comments already, a superb exhibition with some really fantastic layouts, particularly Fence houses and Bucks Hill. I did love the detail on The Mill as well as the log un-loading! None of this is to say that the rest of the layouts weren't as good, they were.

Although I didn't seem to spend much time looking at the exhibits, as I spent most of the time chatting to people, it was good to see the SWAG gang from the southeast, as well as Stationmaster, Olddudders, Chris Nevard and Chris F, a long with many members of the HWDMRS club!

A really good show, congratulations and well done to the Railex team!

Simon

It certainly was a good show. I only wish I could have stayed longer, but fractious children made an early departure the sensible option.

Here are a few of my photos. I make no apologies for majoring on Bucks Hill, which must surely have won the "most photographed" accolade for the weekend. Strongly scenic layouts, particularly those in a rural setting, tend to be the preserve of the smaller scales, not O. Clearly, space is an issue at the larger scale, but but it often seems to be the case that the ethos of O is to focus on the railway rather than the setting. Bucks Hill, though, breaks that convention in stunning style. The use of low relief is common in urban settings, but Bucks Hill makes effective use of it not just for buildings but also for natural features such as trees and hedges. And the forced perspective (often allied with low relief) works well, too.

post-6802-0-59004900-1369586632_thumb.jpg

post-6802-0-18086000-1369586635_thumb.jpg

post-6802-0-95384300-1369586637_thumb.jpg

post-6802-0-85070800-1369586641_thumb.jpg

post-6802-0-18065900-1369586645_thumb.jpg

post-6802-0-67413700-1369586648_thumb.jpg

post-6802-0-29997700-1369586653_thumb.jpg

post-6802-0-65913700-1369586656_thumb.jpg

post-6802-0-42464600-1369586660_thumb.jpg

These last two illustrate a couple of the things which make the Bucks Hill scenery so good. Firstly, the sun glow on the horizon is backlit through a semi-transparent backscene, so it really is glowing. And the trees on the horizon are low-relief etched brass, so the "sun" shines between the branches. And, secondly, one of the most impressive things about Bucks Hill is something you can't see: a baseboard join runs right through the scenery here. But I bet you can't spot it without being told where it is.

Just a couple of others to finish with now. I may post some more later when I've had more time to sort and touch them up. These two are probably contending for the runner-up slot in the "Most photographed" stakes:

post-6802-0-02804200-1369587532_thumb.jpg

Polbrook Gurney, of course, and you've seen this a million times before. But I couldn't resist including it.

post-6802-0-40318800-1369587409_thumb.jpg

The viaduct on Fencehouses is another example of top-quality scenic modelling. 

• RMweb Gold

Another superbly organised show and excellent venue. We had a great time in the show and the do afterwards on Saturday.

We were loaded and away within 45 minutes of the show closing. Now on M25 heading home.

Thanks David and team.

Ian

I will join the rest in saying what a great show it was today.  Personal favourites were Bucks Hill, St.Ruth, & The Mill (have to say the workshops on the Mill were stunning).  It was good to meet Olddudders as well today (we had a bit of a strain to remember each other before he shouted Wateringbury, no Farleigh, where I work) :)

Colin

Well a big thank you to everyone involved in organising Railex,  Exibiting or being a Demonstrator or Trader.I thought this was a tremendous show and One of the very best shows I have attended for a long time. It was not as crowded as I expected which from my point of view was good as it made viewing layouts most  pleasurablehowever  low visitor levels and high overheads are not a good combination for David Lane and his team.

I met many old friends and made some  nice new acquaintances, but I must apologise to the charming lady I made jump whilst she was by "Bucks Hill". I was trying to warn her about the flash from my ****** Camera (which was playing up) startling her and a senior gentleman in her company, I gently tapped her on the shoulder, and she was clearly preoccupied and I soon realised she would have been better if I had just taken my picture and then apologised if I needed too. However Sorry again.

I would find it hard to pick the best layout as there were so many good ones, however I went with the intention of drooling over "Heyside" and was able to, I wanted to see if "Bucks Hill" was as good in reality as I had heard it was and to be honest it wasn't it was much,much better, "Leicester South" is a long time favourite of mine and as usual pleased me greatly. I was looking forward to seeing "Eskmuir" as it was a layout belonging to a member of  the "Rochdale Group of Beer Swillers" who have never cease to please and entertain me with their layouts since the days of "Spotland Bridge".I was not disappointed by "Eskmuir" it was up to the standard previously set, quite easily. Then there was "Fencehouses" which was lovely,the trees and viaduct were to behold. ( and I have to confess that I am not a 2mm fan as my eyes are as old as the rest of me -- Too   Old).

I could go on, but enough. However I can't end without congratulating David on a First Class Show and may there be many more.

Regards,Derek.

Ian says :- We were loaded and away within 45 minutes of the show closing. Now on M25 heading home.

Now I am no Techno Crud so are you using one of these new fangled I-pods ?      Cos I think you pinched one of Richards Pigeons from the loft on "Heyside".

I might be Old ,No  I am old but I aint daft m8.

One of the best shows I've been to in a while. Some stunning layouts! Crumley was excellent. Congratulations to the management team, an excellent show. Can't wait for next year!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Well a big thank you to everyone involved in organising Railex,  Exibiting or being a Demonstrator or Trader.I thought this was a tremendous show and One of the very best shows I have attended for a long time. It was not as crowded as I expected which from my point of view was good as it made viewing layouts most  pleasurablehowever  low visitor levels and high overheads are not a good combination for David Lane and his team.

I met many old friends and made some  nice new acquaintances, but I must apologise to the charming lady I made jump whilst she was by "Bucks Hill". I was trying to warn her about the flash from my ****** Camera (which was playing up) startling her and a senior gentleman in her company, I gently tapped her on the shoulder, and she was clearly preoccupied and I soon realised she would have been better if I had just taken my picture and then apologised if I needed too. However Sorry again.

I would find it hard to pick the best layout as there were so many good ones, however I went with the intention of drooling over "Heyside" and was able to, I wanted to see if "Bucks Hill" was as good in reality as I had heard it was and to be honest it wasn't it was much,much better, "Leicester South" is a long time favourite of mine and as usual pleased me greatly. I was looking forward to seeing "Eskmuir" as it was a layout belonging to a member of  the "Rochdale Group of Beer Swillers" who have never cease to please and entertain me with their layouts since the days of "Spotland Bridge".I was not disappointed by "Eskmuir" it was up to the standard previously set, quite easily. Then there was "Fencehouses" which was lovely,the trees and viaduct were to behold. ( and I have to confess that I am not a 2mm fan as my eyes are as old as the rest of me -- Too   Old).

I could go on, but enough. However I can't end without congratulating David on a First Class Show and may there be many more.

Regards,Derek.

Ian says :- We were loaded and away within 45 minutes of the show closing. Now on M25 heading home.

Now I am no Techno Crud so are you using one of these new fangled I-pods ?      Cos I think you pinched one of Richards Pigeons from the loft on "Heyside".

I might be Old ,No  I am old but I aint daft m8.

No iPods in use this weekend.

Our wireless router wasn't letting us connect on Saturday. I was in the hall early today and it worked until other layouts wifi came on and knocked ours out. had a train running and couldn't stop it till I got to a tethered throttle!Not had this before at shows so need to change the routers channel to avoid this again hopefully. .

Ian

It was not as crowded as I expected

Several people have made similar comments, and it felt a bit less crowded to me too than in previous years. But I hope that's just a result of the floor plan redesign, and not a significant drop in actual visitor numbers.

Several people have made similar comments, and it felt a bit less crowded to me too than in previous years. But I hope that's just a result of the floor plan redesign, and not a significant drop in actual visitor numbers.

Just back home after a full on weekend, the positive comments are really great, but thanks to all club members and friend who make it happen over the weekend.

No idea of the numbers through the door at the weekend but guestimate and crunching what info I did get would think we are well up on last year.

Many traders commented that Sunday's takings were the same or if not more that Saturday's which is odd as normally Sundays attendence and trader takings are half of Saturday's

Anyway off to bed in a bit as I am feeling complely knackered.

David

Relaxing back home now after a great weekend. Top drawer layouts all round, spent a small fortune and had some great beer, what could be better.

A few photos (I take mainly video so not many train shots).

Bucks Hill:

post-7035-0-50066200-1369602953_thumb.jpg

Fencehouses:

post-7035-0-60513200-1369602975_thumb.jpg

post-7035-0-07252000-1369602980_thumb.jpg

post-7035-0-55218600-1369602986_thumb.jpg

post-7035-0-37917300-1369603002_thumb.jpg

post-7035-0-72805100-1369603006_thumb.jpg

Heyside:

post-7035-0-34870100-1369603087_thumb.jpg

post-7035-0-88238100-1369603091_thumb.jpg

post-7035-0-22479900-1369603096_thumb.jpg

post-7035-0-67396500-1369603102_thumb.jpg

An finally, the newly completed Judith Edge Kits class 06 built by Caley439 and making its debut on Eskmuir at the show. Despite my rough handling when painting the loco, it worked faultlessly all weekend.

post-7035-0-71068100-1369602970_thumb.jpg

See you all next year ;-)

I was looking forward to seeing "Eskmuir" as it was a layout belonging to a member of  the "Rochdale Group of Beer Swillers" who have never cease to please and entertain me with their layouts since the days of "Spotland Bridge".I was not disappointed by "Eskmuir" it was up to the standard previously set, quite easily.

Thank you for your very kind comments Derek, they are much appreciated. Despite Spotland having long since gone to the great gig in the sky, its nice to have it remembered, and glad you like Eskmuir, we like playing with it! - watch out for more from the Rochdale stable over the next few years with another 3 layouts on the stocks, Glaisden (EM), Kirkmellington (EM) and North Ballachulish (P4), all of which Im sure will appear at Railex at some stage!

From a personal point of view this is now the formost show in the country - right size, no padding like all the so called "big" shows, superb modelling on display and a great trade base. The atmosphere and friendliness in the hall is tremendous too. Good to see numerous faces from here and loads of good craic. Favourites? well putting Bucks Hill and Eskmuir to one side for a moment!, Polbrook is by far the most well observed and gorgeous layout I've seen in years,  St Ruth is just so - well Cornwall and took me back to childhood holidays. In all honesty there was not one duff layout in the show.

Back to the Rochdale Beer Swillers, I really suppose one of us should do a brewery system! - but we didnt let the side down, Messrs Nevard, taylor and myself were forcibly ejected from the Broad Leys at 00:30 when the barmaid pleaded with us to leave so she could go home for the night. And we were all bright as a button in the morning, as the good Captain will testify ;-)

Archived