Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

2 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Not here - I got some bits last week postmarked 25th October, I'm still missing several items that are well over 10 days overdue. I've had a couple of refunds on ebay items now.

One arrived the next day after a refund was issued which was awkward, but they sent a paypal invoice when I told them I had it and still wanted it.

I just hope the other senders who have refunded are able to claim compensation.

Compensation is easy to obtain from the Royal Mail, providing you either have sent it recorded, or have proof of posting. Some don't bother so that's the choice they have made. Good on you for sending the payment, you never know when being honest actually pays off

• Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Not here - I got some bits last week postmarked 25th October, I'm still missing several items that are well over 10 days overdue. I've had a couple of refunds on ebay items now.

One arrived the next day after a refund was issued which was awkward, but they sent a paypal invoice when I told them I had it and still wanted it.

I just hope the other senders who have refunded are able to claim compensation.

I posted 8 recorded items on Monday, all delivered yesterday except the one for the Isle of Mann.. Seems the issue is a local delivery one

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Picked up a Bachmann Shakespeare express train pack for £144 earlier during eBay/nectar power hour which between 12 and 1 have you 50x nectar points, buying through TopCashback have another 6% cashback

i got £36 worth of nectar points and £8.64 cash back so it’s taken it to below £100 for a Bachmann hall, 2 pullman and a MK1 brake coach as well as an open top bus, really pleased with that

to top it off the seller is on my cycle route between wolves and bescot so I’ll be collecting it later this evening on my way in, gonna be fun carrying it though, bought my big backpack along with me

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

Picked up a Bachmann Shakespeare express train pack for £144 earlier during eBay/nectar power hour which between 12 and 1 have you 50x nectar points, buying through TopCashback have another 6% cashback

i got £36 worth of nectar points and £8.64 cash back so it’s taken it to below £100 for a Bachmann hall, 2 pullman and a MK1 brake coach as well as an open top bus, really pleased with that

to top it off the seller is on my cycle route between wolves and bescot so I’ll be collecting it later this evening on my way in, gonna be fun carrying it though, bought my big backpack along with me

Nice use of it - I struggled to find anything I wanted but only ended up spending about £30 so not a huge amount of nectar.

• Like 1

I picked up quite a few Exactoscale parts earlier this week, which is the third lot from the same seller over the past month, I have plenty of a couple of types (Small chairs and obtuse crossings) in the lot, but eventually they will be used.  Others types in the lot will more than cover the £28 cost, I would have ordered most soon anyway

Also nabbed a curved frame K's 4-4-0 32xx Duke class, I have a Dukedog and a Bulldog which are both straight frame. Still has K's wheels and missing one coupling rod, but I think I have a spare

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not from ebay, but from another auction, I picked up over 600 pieces of OO set track including 60+ points and crossings (most of the track is in new condition some boxed). Various woodland scenics bits, 16 DCC point motors, a DCC 21 pin chip, 16 surface mount point motors, a Hornby Engine shed (new), lots of Hornby platform and other station bits, a Hornby Select and a GaugeMaster Prodigy Advanced2. All for under £200. I really only wanted a couple of bits of it and was gobsmacked when the auctioneer brought out box after box after box of stuff, much of which had not been shown in the auction photo (note the singular usage here).

I need to sell a lot of this on but I should end up getting the bits I wanted out of the lot for free.

• Like 8

I am hoping I have found a bargain, Yesterday I won a Weald Models LBSCR E4 for under £30 inc postage. Everything is still wrapped up, but I cannot see a chassis , the etch is similar to some spare ones I have which don't have the chassis. on it. (I do have a latter kit which has a totally different etch, which includes a chassis) I see the Alan Gibson Workshop do a set of milled chassis frames for it, so at worst I can buy one of these with some coupling rods for under £20

• Like 2

On 05/12/2021 at 16:55, hayfield said:

I am hoping I have found a bargain, Yesterday I won a Weald Models LBSCR E4 for under £30 inc postage. Everything is still wrapped up, but I cannot see a chassis , the etch is similar to some spare ones I have which don't have the chassis. on it. (I do have a latter kit which has a totally different etch, which includes a chassis) I see the Alan Gibson Workshop do a set of milled chassis frames for it, so at worst I can buy one of these with some coupling rods for under £20

Arrived today complete with a cast whitemetal chassis, now do I just carry on and build it as is or get a set of Gibson frames ?  The chassis has brass bearings cast into the chassis, the issue is what motor and gears? ( I should read the instructions)

I did but something else that might bite my hand, a part built Nucast GWR 1334 class 2-4-0. Looks to be missing a loco chassis, may or may not have Gibson drivers, on the down side looks to have 2 x K's HP2M motors but has a set of High Level hornblocks, a Road Runner+ gearbox and a Mashima 1224 motor. Cost me £49.50 all in so the motor, gearbox and hornblocks would have cost me that or more anyway

I also bought a whitemetal LSWR By with an etched chassis, not a McGowan  SEF?  I don't recognise the gears, not Romford's, will be a nice siuprise

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, hayfield said:

Arrived today complete with a cast whitemetal chassis, now do I just carry on and build it as is or get a set of Gibson frames ?  The chassis has brass bearings cast into the chassis, the issue is what motor and gears? ( I should read the instructions)

I did but something else that might bite my hand, a part built Nucast GWR 1334 class 2-4-0. Looks to be missing a loco chassis, may or may not have Gibson drivers, on the down side looks to have 2 x K's HP2M motors but has a set of High Level hornblocks, a Road Runner+ gearbox and a Mashima 1224 motor. Cost me £49.50 all in so the motor, gearbox and hornblocks would have cost me that or more anyway

I also bought a whitemetal LSWR By with an etched chassis, not a McGowan  SEF?  I don't recognise the gears, not Romford's, will be a nice siuprise

Well at least I know who I'm bidding against....again! :D

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I thought I was feeding on the scraps left over from others !!!, I have a small budget (and might be quite close to Decembers already) and therefore get regularly out bid on most items I like. One of the (3) E4's I have is for a friend. Looking at the 1334 over the coming months I may be relisting the 1334, certainly the 2 HP2M's if they work will go on the Bay, in my opinion the jewels in the lot were the High Level parts and the Mashima motor, I have discounted the wheels which are also there. The High Level gearbox would have been on the Januarys shopping list anyway

I paid £50 for a complete unbuilt 1334 kit a few weeks ago, so this one in my view was well under par. The lack of chassis is the main draw back, at worst I have one in the other kit which will give me the main dimensions. You never know perhaps the NuCast Partnership will be able to assist, but given how much I have seen Mashima's go for and High Level gearboxes for some silly reason are usually listed above RRP I assumed my bid was far too low to wil

• Like 4

On 07/12/2021 at 23:47, Andy WD said:

Well at least I know who I'm bidding against....again! :D

Do I start with the good news or the bad news, well it arrived quickly yesterday

789.jpeg.22c5509ec5b996442e4569830a6f8f5d.jpeg

I opened the box and there was a thin bit of foam covering this lot

790.jpeg.c06fd209b5e2f69f7bb5228459078952.jpeg

The main causality, I think I will put it in a warm place prior to trying to bend it

Have I got all the parts, I think so or there about's

The good news is the motor is a  Mashima 1020, High Level LH+ (load hauler plus ?) and 3 sets of hornblocks

A full set of instructions are a bonus and one of the 2 K's HP2M motors work, the second is missing a brush

Lets face it the motor and gearbox covers the cost.

On top of that I had a punt on a nice built but unpainted B4, I think its a Southeastern Finecast, lovely etched chassis built to 00 gauge with sprung pickups on one side, think the motor is a DS10 and no idea of the gearbox yet

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Not off eBay but got a bargain this week, a 2nd hand sound fitted Bachmann 009 Baldwin in WHR maroon that the seller wanted £120 for, an absolute no brainer for me that, however putting it on the track we couldn’t get any sound out of it, stripped it down to check wires etc and noticed it had a speaker swap at some point, anyway no luck with the chip producing sound on the tester either but we had movement so the seller concluded the chip was blown so the seller reduced the price to £80 which was even more of a no brainer!

took it to my local shop who inspected the copious amount of solder on the speaker and noted it was touching the metal housing, removed the chip and put it on his tester and ‘toot toot’ sound! 

replaced the speaker with an £8 yoo-Choos sugar cube and she runs like a dream with sound all for an £88 outlay! 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

This one I have had to wait 3 weeks for, first the seller caught covid just before I won it so could not post for over a week, then our local sorting office has major issues especially with parcels

Anyway I won a nearly finished Nu-Cast LSWR A12 built to EM gauge standards, first of all its been very well built and painted, its missing hand rails and lining, but runs very well. Looking at the box it stated includes HP2M adaptor, why does it run so well, the answer is It has Romford wheels, a Mashima motor and what looks like to be a Comet Models gearbox, It runs slowly and smoothly, just the job

It cost me £61 inc postage and to me was an absolute steal when you think about the cost of Romford wheels, Mashima motors and a Comet gearbox, I doubt if I could buy these for £61, and whilst the wheels are painted the chassis is not, but that is easily resolved

I also bought a while ago a Perseverance GWR Metro chassis for £21.68 inc postage, which is perhaps the going rate for an etched tank loco chassis, until I saw it included flexichassis parts were included (not mentioned in the listing) 

Happy Christmas to the regulars and good hunting

ps

I nearly got caught by the dreaded *******, I saw a listing for a "kit built" Southeastern Finecast N7 chassis, I jumped at the chance, but then I saw the sellers name, looked closely at the photo and description, clearly there was a part etch and it stated no side frames.

How can something be KIT BUILT when its not been started and missing the 2 main parts ?  I thought I may have a bit of a fight on my hands to get a refund, to their credit my money was sent back the next morning

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

I nearly got caught by the dreaded *******, I saw a listing for a "kit built" Southeastern Finecast N7 chassis, I jumped at the chance, but then I saw the sellers name, looked closely at the photo and description, clearly there was a part etch and it stated no side frames.

How can something be KIT BUILT when its not been started and missing the 2 main parts ?  I thought I may have a bit of a fight on my hands to get a refund, to their credit my money was sent back the next morning

I saw that too - Gosturd again.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

I saw that too - Gosturd again.....

Everyone can make mistakes, in fact I did just that. But the title was so far from what it was I guess it must have been an error

I obtained a chassis with a kit where the rear wheel part of the etch had been removed from the sides (they tried to make it a rear bogie) either I will have to re-attach it or use a spare pony truck

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just got delivered what was advertised as a round top Midland 3F but turns out to be a Keyer's Johnson/Deeley 2F (Kit L16?) I've 2 x 3Fs already and only one Fowlerized 2F. It runs well on DC too, so that's a result in my book especially as I had totally forgotten I had bid for it!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Just got delivered what was advertised as a round top Midland 3F but turns out to be a Keyer's Johnson/Deeley 2F (Kit L16?) I've 2 x 3Fs already and only one Fowlerized 2F. It runs well on DC too, so that's a result in my book especially as I had totally forgotten I had bid for it!

Jonathan

You are getting as bad as me, I just had to pay my credit card bill for December. 80% was foe my eBay buys, however I had kept the proceeds for what I sold in a savings account so my current account was not affected.

Miss description quite often happens, I bought a SR T9, listed as a Keyser loco, but they never made these locos. Its in a Westward box with a strange Westward label, but unless these came from the same masters its a Wills/Southeastern Finecast loco

Still I find my best buys are items whic have been wrongly described

The Keyser loco you bought was from the bodyline series and was designed for the Hornby Dublo R1 chassis

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, hayfield said:

The Keyser loco you bought was from the bodyline series and was designed for the Hornby Dublo R1 chassis

Thanks, John. If I think I could use the kit or parts from it and it's going cheaply then I'll bid. The chassis is brass with screw spacers and has a Ks motor/gearbox which runs well on DC. The loco is well put together apart from the chimney and steps misplaced. The tender is not so good. It's all in de-bonder at the moment and the chimney and steps have already come off.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Thanks, John. If I think I could use the kit or parts from it and it's going cheaply then I'll bid. The chassis is brass with screw spacers and has a Ks motor/gearbox which runs well on DC. The loco is well put together apart from the chimney and steps misplaced. The tender is not so good. It's all in de-bonder at the moment and the chimney and steps have already come off.

Sorry I am thinking about the o-6-0 tank loco, you have the tender loco which came with the standard k's brass bar chassis (despite growing up alongside the old LNWR main line my knowledge of the LMS is very lacking.)

You have just hit the nail on the head, I always look on the down side and value an item which includes the wheels and motor. Sometimes I buy a complete kit, taking the wheels motor and gears then reselling the basic kit, many fail to include these into their calculations of whit the kit is worth (think I have heard it as farming)

• Like 2