Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

11 hours ago, Andy WD said:

I'm thinking the bubble is slowly deflating. Has anybody noticed that prices are gradually returning to realistic levels in bidding?
There's been a few auctions recently where bids ended at about a third or a half less than similar items a couple of months ago.
Is this a sign of normality returning and the ability to rummage under tables at toyfairs and shows....?

BiN prices are still unrealistic from a few chancers though!

Interesting. I buy job lots to keep bits and fund my hobby and I offload bog standard Hornby and similar stuff and I’m still achieving good prices. But yes, I take the time to present the items well etc. 

• Like 1

I'm more of a wagon collector, but there certainly seems to have been a downward trend I've noticed recently. Now I'm not sure if it's just caused by the new search system, or if it is a the bubble bursting, but certainly it seems to my bank balance that it's happening.
 I totally agree that in general the Loco Kit side still seems buoyant, but generally I think that's just @hayfieldand myself bidding for the same items :D

Edited by Andy WD
Spelling
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I have noticed that some of the rolling stock kits that normally command ridiculous money are now only fetching silly money - D&S being a prime one.  I shouldn't be adding to the stash but picked up a D&S and a Connoisseur for both less than their starting price and the starting price this time last year would have been bid on I believe. The Connoisseur kit was about £40 less than I've seen them go for.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I have noticed that some of the rolling stock kits that normally command ridiculous money are now only fetching silly money - D&S being a prime one.  I shouldn't be adding to the stash but picked up a D&S and a Connoisseur for both less than their starting price and the starting price this time last year would have been bid on I believe. The Connoisseur kit was about £40 less than I've seen them go for.

I think sometimes for whatever reasons things get overlooked. On the other hand quite often something fetches a very high price which seems to encourage others to list their items, and as the items availability increases prices drop

But if you are in the right place at the right time bargains can be had

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

I think sometimes for whatever reasons things get overlooked. On the other hand quite often something fetches a very high price which seems to encourage others to list their items, and as the items availability increases prices drop

But if you are in the right place at the right time bargains can be had

I've definitely seen that before - a flood of similar items once one has finished at a high price. When people say look how much Ian Kirk LNER kits go for, there's definitely a market for re-introducing them. Ok, so watch what happens to prices if that ever happens ;) Same with D&S of course. Whilst production is highly restricted at best, they will command high prices. Ramp up production again and the bottom will fall out of that market.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I've definitely seen that before - a flood of similar items once one has finished at a high price. When people say look how much Ian Kirk LNER kits go for, there's definitely a market for re-introducing them. Ok, so watch what happens to prices if that ever happens ;) Same with D&S of course. Whilst production is highly restricted at best, they will command high prices. Ramp up production again and the bottom will fall out of that market.

London Road Models do actually produce some now, which often are much cheaper !!!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, hayfield said:

London Road Models do actually produce some now, which often are much cheaper !!!

I think some of the 51L (Wizard) are ex-D&S too.  I understand the LRM ones have also been revamped to make them not only cheaper but better.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The EMGS is now reproducing some D&S bits and bobs.

Mike.

Is there a list somewhere of what? My primary interest is GER which Danny has kept hold of as it's his "baby" as it were, but wagons from other companies were of course all over the shop :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Is there a list somewhere of what? My primary interest is GER which Danny has kept hold of as it's his "baby" as it were, but wagons from other companies were of course all over the shop :)

I'm pretty sure it's items such as W-Irons rather than kits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/01/2022 at 13:17, Bucoops said:

I've definitely seen that before - a flood of similar items once one has finished at a high price. When people say look how much Ian Kirk LNER kits go for, there's definitely a market for re-introducing them

Colin Ashby has some of the ex Kirk range and he may be willing to run off small quantities of kits. 

He may be persuaded!!

• Like 1

On 30/01/2022 at 00:08, Andy WD said:

I'm more of a wagon collector, but there certainly seems to have been a downward trend I've noticed recently. Now I'm not sure if it's just caused by the new search system, or if it is a the bubble bursting, but certainly it seems to my bank balance that it's happening.
 I totally agree that in general the Loco Kit side still seems buoyant, but generally I think that's just @hayfieldand myself bidding for the same items :D

And probably outbidding me.........:swoon:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/01/2022 at 00:08, Andy WD said:

2 hours ago, MartinWales said:

And probably outbidding me.........:swoon:

Firstly if I am out bidding you both then I must be getting too generous in my old age

Not buying at the moment, firstly not much is of interest, then those I am interested in seem to sell for silly money

I am having a bit of a thin out at the moment, I really should be a bit more ruthless as I have far too much stuff, so you might have a chance of a second bite of the cherry

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

All of them?  That was a four part article as I recall.

Money spent on MBT can never be wasted, though, it's an invaluable resource.

No just 2 out of the 3, I've been looking for these for a long time.

• Like 1

Small bargain purchase. Hornby HAA and a Bachmann HEA for £4.50 each. The listings probably had most thinking it was just the real coal loads for sale. Happy with the hea especially as even the old replica/Dapol wagons seem to be over 20 quid lately  

20220208_132346.jpg

Edited by benzino
  • Like 2