Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Whilst I have claimed many times items I fancied were fetching high prices, there are also gems going for very little

I personally like Southeastern Finecast kits, and use them as a bench mark, Looking at Squires latest prices a basic tank loco kit the body and chassis kits are about £90 then wheel packs cost from £52 and motor and gears from £30.

I recently watched two built kits sell for amazing prices, firstly a J69 went for £56.00 + £4.80 postage and a N7 for £49.89 + £4.80 postage. Both were Southeastern Finecast kits with etched chassis, seemed well built, and painted in black. From a trusted seller I use and trust his descriptions. Both these locos went for not much more than the wheel sets cost, 

Perhaps the only criticism is that it seems to have a DS10 and motor mount rather than a can motor with gearbox, but then you have that cost if you buy a kit. A quick repaint to a more pleasing livery (unless you like them in black) would lift these models to another level. Sadly for me I have both classes already in my collection though I might have been wise to buy the N7 and sell off cheap the one I am renovating.

• Like 1

Poor old postman struggled to the door with a bit of an armful of packets. I bought 2 lots of etched parts, this first lot cost me £18.75 inc postage

940.jpg.7b880d0ba6f08a351a0ac73d3880ae47.jpg

First up was a Perseverance Terrier chassis without coupling rods,

Secondly a Perseverance 56xx chassis again without coupling rods

Two full sets of Perseverance frame spacers 00/EM/P4

Three sets of Perseverance hornblock frets

2 sets of NS motion 5'6" x 5'6" with LNER single crosshead

7' x 7' milled tender frames

Unknown bits from a large etched 6 wheel tender with modern style steps

Finally a set of SR P class coupling rods

I would expect to pay £20 for a standard Perseverance chassis more for a compensated one, I may have spare coupling rods, but Gibson ones are £6 a set

941.jpg.6bd10579b0e6140d0999aa921e687c75.jpg

Here is a taster of the second lot which cost  £13.25. There are 2 sets of LSWR/SR 02 mainframes/chassis, Perseverance GWR 57xx Pannier chassis, 2 pairs of GWR 9' American bogie etches. What looks to be a Mallard Dean goods footplate and cab along with a tender chassis etch, quite a few more bits including a few 7mm scale L&B loco etch spares

The difficult part is to decide what to keep, what to sell and what to throw away. Certainly the Perseverance chassis and parts are always keepers, the Blacksmiths Dean Goods frets may make a nice project in updating  a K's model

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

Found this on the 'bay quite a while back, no interest so got it for a 99p bid. (roof damage may have put people off). Western region Gas Turbine 18000.  It's made of very thin balsa and shellacked card i believe, so not too robust! But, after some strengthening pieces were added, ribbing/screen frames from plastic strip and a modified Lima Deltic chassis slimmed to fit, it has turned into quite a nice model. Posed with some contemporary traction.

20220318_012826.jpg

20220318_012838.jpg

20220318_013002.jpg

20220318_012937.jpg

20220318_013828.jpg

20220727_162434.jpg

20220727_162512.jpg

20220727_162930.jpg

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

The one I was waiting for was a Southeastern Finecast SECR/SR P class kit with Markit wheels and a small LK 17 motor, mount and gears. All for a final price inc postage of £55.96

All complete and still in its packaging 

The basic kit is £89.50, wheels, axles & crankpins £52.06 and motor pack £29.95

My initial thoughts were to farm the wheels and resell the kit and motor pack separately, but I want to see how the motor works, secondly I have an older Wills kit with a cast chassis, which is now in the "to be sold" pile. I do have another Wills P class which I have started using the Branchlines etched chassis and the etched body replacement parts (footplate, cab sides etc) and I was keeping this older kits in case I decided to do a second Branchlines conversion

The main point is the new (complete) kit cost me just over the cost of a new wheel set, which will be further offset when I sell the old Wills loco  

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Whilst not necessary a good buy I have just found a copy of Loco's illustrated 116

Great Eastern "Jazz" (?) engines and their predecessors 

No idea what the Jazz bit is about but has GER tank engines inc J69's and N7's

The Jazz trains were their hugely ramped up post-WW1 suburban service - where they put coloured bands along the top of coaches to denote the class which were said to be "Jazzy".

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I may have done well, time will tell. A massive lot of white metal and brass parts for £85 - there looks to be a G6, S15 tender, a vLord Nelson, at least 2 4Fs (why they were listed as 7fs is a mystersy) lots of etches which you can't really work out. Most of it will end up being sold on but looks to be a good result. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

I may have done well, time will tell. A massive lot of white metal and brass parts for £85 - there looks to be a G6, S15 tender, a vLord Nelson, at least 2 4Fs (why they were listed as 7fs is a mystersy) lots of etches which you can't really work out. Most of it will end up being sold on but looks to be a good result. 

I kept a good look on that one, it was the etches that interested me, but even though I was out and had a couple of pints I got frightened away by the sums being bid.

Don't get me wrong I expect that several whitemetal locos may rise from the packets, but I think your money is safe once the etches have been cleaned up. You may end up asking for a few instructions sheets for those SR locos, (I may be able to help with that one PM me if you dont have them)

Do let us know what they were, I would be interested

I got my work cut out sorting out 3 bundles of etches I bought last week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, hayfield said:

I kept a good look on that one, it was the etches that interested me, but even though I was out and had a couple of pints I got frightened away by the sums being bid.

Don't get me wrong I expect that several whitemetal locos may rise from the packets, but I think your money is safe once the etches have been cleaned up. You may end up asking for a few instructions sheets for those SR locos, (I may be able to help with that one PM me if you dont have them)

Do let us know what they were, I would be interested

I got my work cut out sorting out 3 bundles of etches I bought last week

Cheers, 

I am banking on being able to get a few locos out of them. The lost wax brass parts and romfo0rd wheels may also help. I will let you know what the etches are as it looked like there was some GW and SR amongst it. 

• Like 1

Is it the heat that items I am watching are selling for what I consider are silly prices !!

I have seen a brass kit built loco with 2 very poor photos, the seller admits it was broken when it arrived and after being repaired (and not run) admits it has a twisted chassis !!!

As its got flangeless centre drivers and what seems older Romford gearset I assume an older style motor, in my mind not one to be over optimistic with its worth

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

Cheers, 

I am banking on being able to get a few locos out of them. The lost wax brass parts and romfo0rd wheels may also help. I will let you know what the etches are as it looked like there was some GW and SR amongst it. 

Thanks, I have loads of Romford wheels, but I am coming to the conclusion that the older ones are perhaps not as useful as I hoped, lost wax castings can be really useful. A great lot if you invest time on seeing how many kits you can get from them, I have several old Wills and K's whitemetal kits which may be slightly incomplete. Might be worth selling them in a job lot

You never know I might even be interested in the unwanted scrap or two you may have

Well done

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, hayfield said:

Thanks, I have loads of Romford wheels, but I am coming to the conclusion that the older ones are perhaps not as useful as I hoped, lost wax castings can be really useful. A great lot if you invest time on seeing how many kits you can get from them, I have several old Wills and K's whitemetal kits which may be slightly incomplete. Might be worth selling them in a job lot

You never know I might even be interested in the unwanted scrap or two you may have

Well done

Cheers, However once I have them there is going to be quite a bit of work in getting all the bits sorted. Probably just as well I have some time on my hands for a bit.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The load of parts arrived today, theoretically just bag of white metal parts, but in the end it turned out to be specific to different kits. 

A quick sort revealed it to be :

2x SEF 4fs - one missing a chassis

1 Alan Gibson G6 

1 Alan Gibson O2

2x SEF King Arthurs - with 3 tenders

1 Ks 8F

1 Ks MR 3f 0-6-0T

1 Craftsman Lord Nelson

I Chivers Finelines 0-6-4 J class tank

1 Westward GWR Grange kit with 3 tender chassis and 2 loco chassis. 

Next comes the more detailed cleaning and working out what if anything is missing and then as Hayfield says finding instructions on some of them.

The thing is the seller could have done all this and probably got more, but is all a time thing of course. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

The SEF's/Wills can be bought from Squires. At a guess some if not all the SEF locos may actually be Wills, Squires sell the parts to upgrade or those which are missing

The K's 3F instructions had the instructions printed on the back of the blister packs

I have the Chivers J class instructions, but I think they are available as a download online

The SEF 4F's & Lord Nelson's are they SEF's or Wills, whilst similar there are subtle differences (I have a Wills 4F & King Arthur instructions)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, hayfield said:

The SEF's/Wills can be bought from Squires. At a guess some if not all the SEF locos may actually be Wills, Squires sell the parts to upgrade or those which are missing

The K's 3F instructions had the instructions printed on the back of the blister packs

I have the Chivers J class instructions, but I think they are available as a download online

The SEF 4F's & Lord Nelson's are they SEF's or Wills, whilst similar there are subtle differences (I have a Wills 4F & King Arthur instructions)

Looking at the parts the SEFs look to be in the SEF period due to the parts. The Lord Nelson is a Craftsman one and is seriously dirty and needing new parts to replace broken etches. 

I've worked through the 1 1/2 Westward Granges and have one full kit, a chassis kit for another and 2 3500 gallon tender chassis at the end of it all. 

The Keyser 8F and Alan Gibson ones are where I have not yet found instructions on line. The O2 will certainly go, but not sure about the G6. 

Its amazing what people put as junk lots!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Can't remember if I've already posted it but my best ebay bargain was a $10,000+ network switch for £99 as they didn't know what they had. Used prices at the time were around £5k. Still using it now 10+ years later! They still sell for around £800 used even now.

https://www.premisesnetworks.com/doc/blades-new-rackswitch-g8124-with-sfp-0001

It's a bit juicy though so might have to rethink when my fixed rate electric is up for renewal next year!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Can't remember if I've already posted it but my best ebay bargain was a $10,000+ network switch for £99 as they didn't know what they had. Used prices at the time were around £5k. Still using it now 10+ years later! They still sell for around £800 used even now.

https://www.premisesnetworks.com/doc/blades-new-rackswitch-g8124-with-sfp-0001

It's a bit juicy though so might have to rethink when my fixed rate electric is up for renewal next year!

Very impressive and I have not a clue what you bought !!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, hayfield said:

Very impressive and I have not a clue what you bought !!!

It is a bit niche :D Most home routers might pass 100mbit to 1000mbit. This thing can do 480000mbit at full chat.

14 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Less than two lightbulbs, it says!

CJI.

image.png.4228413159e6ca854053a3a7dd415d2d.png

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I may well have found a little gem, a part built and part painted 7mm scale GWR clearstory bogie coach. £39.95 inc postage. Condition looks good and the coach has been painted cream (looks to be sprayed) so will be nice and dry for masking up. Even if the odd part is missing there is plenty of room for the odd purchase as these are the best part of £150. The expensive parts (Bogies and wheels) are there 

I guess I must start building somewhere to run my small but growing 7mm collection, plus I have plenty of parts to build some track.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, hayfield said:

I may well have found a little gem, a part built and part painted 7mm scale GWR clearstory bogie coach. £39.95 inc postage. Condition looks good and the coach has been painted cream (looks to be sprayed) so will be nice and dry for masking up. Even if the odd part is missing there is plenty of room for the odd purchase as these are the best part of £150. The expensive parts (Bogies and wheels) are there 

I guess I must start building somewhere to run my small but growing 7mm collection, plus I have plenty of parts to build some track.

Next day arrival and only £4.45 postage !!!  Well after a quick glance most of the items plus what seems extra plastic strips and rods. I will need to buy a set of instructions and the plastic springs seem to have suffered. Without instructions there are too many brass castings to even think of assessing if everything is there, but I may only need a few castings

• Like 6

Having recouped a decent amount of what I spent the week before I saw the opportunity of upgrading one of my SR B4's

I have an old McGowan model, needing a small amount of restoration to the body, has a brass bar chassis and a K's HP motor works well but not a patch on the more modern or is it an upgrade, and I have a SEF model built to 00 gauge with a DS10 motor, beautifully built but unpainted. To use either they need converting to EM gauge

I paid just over £78 inc postage, for an unbuilt kit with a set of Romford's and a Mashima 1020 motor pack.  Might be seen as a reasonably buy rather than a good buy, but I am certain whichever surplus one I sell on it will make a large dent in the £78 I paid (as did the P class). I just need to make a decision, then wait for an 80% off fees day

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

£20 for a load of whitemetal N gauge loco kits. Just the one  very bright photo on the listing that appeared to show a couple of 3D prints there as well. Turns out they were Asto-Cad C12 and K3 plus tender prints, about £50 plus postage and fees to buy from Shapeways. One of the whitemetal kits appears to parts of Graham Hughes J11. No tender but not too difficult to make one or just buy one from Shapeways. The rest of parts are Langley/PD Marsh kits - A3, B1, J94, L3.

All in all, two complete bodies, two partly complete one, and a few other bits that can be melted down and used as ballast weights for the 3D prints!

• Like 4