Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Had a package with various 0 gauge chassis bits and pieces, all in all I paid £28

Well the main items were the Slaters tender/bogie wheels there are 6 of them, new £18.50 each, at the moment I only have use for 2, but new ones would have cost me more, o fre sprung buffers will come in handy

There is a chassis for a LBSCR D1 scratch built, it might be something that could come in handy in the future for a scratch build, though I think it may be worth more to someone else 

Two etched 6'6" x 6'6" tender chassis and a set of 7'6" x 7'6" frames

A loco chassis with a 8'6" x 8' wheelbase (tank loco along with a etched footplate of the same wheelbase with a shorter length (tender Loco)

In the end all of these will go on eBay at knockdown starting price which will reduce the cost of the wheels I bought, which was why I bought the lot

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just sniped a part-built Wills Flatiron for £86. Includes Faulhaber motor, Branchlines gearbox and what looks like Markit wheel set. The build looks soldered and good in the photos. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Just sniped a part-built Wills Flatiron for £86. Includes Faulhaber motor, Branchlines gearbox and what looks like Markit wheel set. The build looks soldered and good in the photos. 

Given the RRP it sounds a great buy, but what chassis does it have with it, as the new bespoke chassis is terrific and the SEF revised kit has some body etches as well as cab detail parts ( A later Wills Finecast may have these parts) Having said that the FC100/200 are a doddle to build

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Given the RRP it sounds a great buy, but what chassis does it have with it, as the new bespoke chassis is terrific and the SEF revised kit has some body etches as well as cab detail parts ( A later Wills Finecast may have these parts) Having said that the FC100/200 are a doddle to build

I don't know what the chassis will be - the photos were rather poor. I may get a new chassis if the one that comes isn't up to scratch. It is a SE Finecast box but still suggests the Tri-ang chassis. I will still be in pocket if I have to get a new chassis though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I don't know what the chassis will be - the photos were rather poor. I may get a new chassis if the one that comes isn't up to scratch. It is a SE Finecast box but still suggests the Tri-ang chassis. I will still be in pocket if I have to get a new chassis though.

No doubt you have a great buy, just look at what a set of Markit wheels and a Branchlines gear box cost and that's easily wold set you back 75% of what you have paid add in the motor and you nearly have a free loco. The facy its been soldered together in my opinion is a real bonus

This is one of my favourite locos, Even if its has the Wills Finecast Jinty replacement chassis I would suggest you look to buy a Southeastern Finecast bespoke chassis, its a work of art, I will try and post a photo of one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, hayfield said:

No doubt you have a great buy, just look at what a set of Markit wheels and a Branchlines gear box cost and that's easily wold set you back 75% of what you have paid add in the motor and you nearly have a free loco. The facy its been soldered together in my opinion is a real bonus

This is one of my favourite locos, Even if its has the Wills Finecast Jinty replacement chassis I would suggest you look to buy a Southeastern Finecast bespoke chassis, its a work of art, I will try and post a photo of one

It is a great buy (no doubt helped by the sniper app). A photo of the new chassis would be great. Thanks.

• Like 1

1294.jpeg.bd4df973ac3fdd7e060df715784bd1f3.jpeg

This is the SEF Flatiron chassis, a far cry from either the Jinty or Wills/SEF etched jinty chassis

1295.jpeg.c7b47e3f0fda9fc355bf072508ec85f2.jpeg

This is the detail fret, 3 different smokebox overlays

1297.jpeg.d0d76447707b6a0463de689fda865087.jpeg

Chassis instructions, the frame spacers are universal, EM or P4 as they are or fold back for 00 gauge.

1296.jpeg.b2bd90cdc0f7b301fe6eeda4b6e23ab3.jpeg

Body diagram

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

I twiced dipped my toe in the water at the weekend

The first one was for a built etched kit for a 61xx which was in need of restoration, the chassis is a bit of a mess, no wheels motor, gears, cylinders or bogies, the body is well built and suffering from wear and tear to a bad paint job, missing only a funnel

Wheels motor and gears are not an issue as is the funnel, I think I have Comet bogies in stock and might have a correct set of cylinders, I certainly have Gibson coupling rods. But I might be better off buying a new Comet chassis, I have just checked and I have a complete Comet 61xx chassis pack. I have an etched 61xx for just under £25

Second is I bought two Studiolith track building presses for cutting holes in sleepers/timbers and fitting rivets, along with a selection of cutting/pressing tools for the presses. I have one press at the moment, but its a later version. I had one of these which I bought 55 years ago and sold to one of John Redrup's (London Road Models) friends over 40 years ago and always regretted doing so. Well I paid about £15 for all the parts. They need cleaning up, so a simple bit of restoration is the order of the day

I was prepared to pay a lot more and thought I would be well and truly out bid     

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Well certainly the first items to arrive are in fact a tremendous buy, mainly as I have got back an item I sold years ago and regretted, plus these are as rare as hens teeth. I paid £10.50 + £6.50 postage) The gauge now sells for £11.50 !!!! 

These presses and dies were designed for P4 track builders, EM track builders could certainly use the single punch and perhaps the double. No reason why 00 track builders could use the single punch

1315.jpeg.74721594aa756e9d5b6dd5f41ceb2394.jpeg

As I suspected the lot was for 2 Studiolith track building presses for ply and rivet track building.along with a 3 point track gauge and 2 (bending?) bars

Usually you have one press with a set of dies for punching the holes and the other set to close up the rivets

The presses them selves were designed to emboss someone's address at the top of a letter in the days where folk actually wrote to each other. Posh people had their letter heads printed, those who were slightly down the ladder had embossers. Good old days when Basildon & Bond was the watchword for personal stationary

I first had a blue press way back in 1968 /9 as my then manager and his assistant were P4 modellers. As I said I sold it to John Redrup in the days of Puffers of Kenton. I was able to buy a replacement 10+ years ago but the press was  not as well built (nothing wrong with it, just aesthetics) I also got a second but the cutting pin broke (its needs a new tip turned up on it) 

1316.jpeg.e0a3ba8b56786bd710ee23ea013e2d4a.jpeg

These are the dies for making the holes, Bottom single one way round double the other, Top is the carrier holding the timber

1317.jpeg.8a134c0235ab7547244f60f972607274.jpeg

The two dies for closing the rivets, the long die is for the bottom, the other die is for the top, single one way double the other. The groove in the bottom one is for holding the rivet head

1318.jpeg.39a8bd022ddd48362b70e6483a2c035e.jpeg

Shows how well the blue press cleans up, I will give all the dies a clean with steel wool and a coating of WD40, the grey press will also get a good wash and brush up

Well posh track builders seemingly could afford to buy 2 sets. One for punching the other for pressing

I will certainly keep the blue one and possibly the grey one, my working press will be sold off on eBay as will be the one that needs a new punch

Edit

The gauge is an EM gauge, more useful for me

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

On 18/02/2023 at 18:16, hayfield said:

This is the SEF Flatiron chassis, a far cry from either the Jinty or Wills/SEF etched jinty chassis

Chassis instructions, the frame spacers are universal, EM or P4 as they are or fold back for 00 gauge.

Body diagram

That makes up into a super model, John. I was bought one of the first of that updated kit to be released, more years ago than I care to remember. Mine has seen sterling service over the years. Good find 👍

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/02/2023 at 17:16, hayfield said:

Body diagram

The Flatiron turned up this morning, so full marks for delivery. The body has been glued and bits are already falling off, so it will have a soak to dismantle it as it wasn't built square in the first place. The chassis is banana-shaped with the middle wheels some 2mm above the track. I don't know how somebody managed to do that. The motor and gearbox are perfectly okay and the wheels are Markits. I'll get the new chassis and the detail fret from Squires when I go to the York show., I assume they sell them separately? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

The Flatiron turned up this morning, so full marks for delivery. The body has been glued and bits are already falling off, so it will have a soak to dismantle it as it wasn't built square in the first place. The chassis is banana-shaped with the middle wheels some 2mm above the track. I don't know how somebody managed to do that. The motor and gearbox are perfectly okay and the wheels are Markits. I'll get the new chassis and the detail fret from Squires when I go to the York show., I assume they sell them separately? 

Sounds like you did well, I would expect you would have to pre-order this chassis, give them a call as they have always been very good to me when I phone them

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Sounds like you did well, I would expect you would have to pre-order this chassis, give them a call as they have always been very good to me when I phone them

Phoned Squires (SE Finecast) and spoke to very helpful lady who said the etches were in stock and would send them. Well-pleased at less than £30.

• Like 4

The etched GWR 61xx arrived this morning, its a nickel silver etched kit which looks to be very well built, paint work has suffered owing possibly due to lack of primer and a chimney. The chassis is brass, devoid of wheels motor, gears, cylinders and bogies, and I am thinking it may be from another kit. There are no chassis fixings on the body which again leads me to think its a marriage of 2 kits 

I do have a Comet 61xx chassis kit and was of a mind to use some or all of the parts. I think it will save me time and effort to discard the incomplete chassis, It will have to be rebuilt to EM gauge and as it cost £25 inc postage to my mind its a bargain, I doubt I paid much more than £20 for the Comet chassis so I will have an inexpensive etched loco. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, hayfield said:

The etched GWR 61xx arrived this morning, its a nickel silver etched kit which looks to be very well built, paint work has suffered owing possibly due to lack of primer and a chimney. The chassis is brass, devoid of wheels motor, gears, cylinders and bogies, and I am thinking it may be from another kit. There are no chassis fixings on the body which again leads me to think its a marriage of 2 kits 

I do have a Comet 61xx chassis kit and was of a mind to use some or all of the parts. I think it will save me time and effort to discard the incomplete chassis, It will have to be rebuilt to EM gauge and as it cost £25 inc postage to my mind its a bargain, I doubt I paid much more than £20 for the Comet chassis so I will have an inexpensive etched loco. 

You truly are the Auntie Wainwright of RMweb!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You truly are the Auntie Wainwright of RMweb!

Mike.

Mike

It all started at our last property when I had done nothing with the model railway for quite a few years owning tp playing golf and having an Arsenal season ticket. I started to sell lots of what I thought was junk and my ready to run models. Rather than let the funds get swallowed up in the household finances I simply just reinvested the the proceeds into buying cheap kit built whitemetal models, that was nearly 20 years ago. Then it was a case of either buying better quality models or kits to those I bought or buy the items to make them better.

I am slowly selling off the older and surplus items, quite often I might buy a kit for the additional parts, then resell the kit. This loco body in question once painted and the Comet chassis which I planned to use on a Wills 61xx, as it happens I have 2 Wills 61xx one has a Bristol Models chassis the other has a SEF so it was a spare anyway. Yes I am a bit like Aunty Wainwright I have to confess I have tucked away over 30 etched chassis waiting to be married to a Whitemetal loco and once I can be bothered to shift them about 30 kit or kit built locos which have been superseded with better quality items. I must have about 20 of what I call wrecks (poor quality /incomplete (spares) kits all of which I will be moving on slowly

But like Bucoops part of the enjoyment I get is finding a bargain, this is the third loco I have bought this year and one was sold on after I swapped the chassis upgrading an existing kit I have (we have met once as he lives quite close to me) 

One thing I have thought might be fun/interesting would be to buy a cheap item and see what I could sell it for and by buying and selling upgrading each time without adding any further cash and see what I could turn it into. Eg start with a Triang Jinty and end up with a decent kit built loco, perhaps a fun competition with friends is on the cards G

Again back to your comment, you do not know how correct you are

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2023 at 16:36, Rowsley17D said:

Phoned Squires (SE Finecast) and spoke to very helpful lady who said the etches were in stock and would send them. Well-pleased at less than £30.

Post-free first class and arrived this morning. Excellent service from Squires. The Flatiron will have to wait in the queue though as I've a 1P 0-4-4T on the go from last year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Couple of bargains this evening on buy it nows from the same seller

Rapido Hunslet, DCC fitted for £90

3C4954DB-8A50-4C19-B2DC-D768AC8295D0.jpeg.dd1d8e91c207ac9e9b14605e4aaa6a6a.jpeg

PI models accurascale internal user wagons for £50

AD1C3A50-F7B6-4EA3-A301-702490BDB027.jpeg.5ea76d6d5edf8d948f65a94cf0a31b8f.jpeg

Been eyeing up the wagons the last couple of shows I visited where PI were attending but resisted buying them, glad I’ve got a set on the way now

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, big jim said:

I was tempted by those too! 

It was a last minute punt, didn’t expect to win, so was a nice surprise. Excellent seller, I’ve brought off previously, so generously refunded the postage! 

• Like 1