Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, rka said:

It was a buy it now deal, I must admit I am half expecting disappointment when it arrives, but if its as advertised I should have two western pullman rakes to build. 

Well it turned up as advertised, very pleased. 

16864102737546794695387297029555.jpg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple of winning bids in the past 2 days, I won one with 3 unbuilt locos by 10p, only want one of the kits so will need to resell the other two. Took a bit of a risk as no photos of contentment's, but the seller states they are new, the boxes look to be in A1 condition (one Wills 2 x GEM ) the chances are all is OK. Seller accepts no returns, which is fine with me providing his description is accurate

The other listing was a Roxey Mouldings tank loco, with what looks to be additional Alan Gibson packs inc wheels, surprised it only reached just over £32 + postage, also a more or less empty Alan Gibson tank loco box, even this can be put to good use for a box-less loco. The chassis has been started, but the photos were both unclear and small, plus ended just before midday yesterday.

Looks like a trader and with kits/kit built just wants to shift items quickly, which for me is good news

• Like 4

On 21/06/2023 at 07:35, hayfield said:

Had a couple of winning bids in the past 2 days, I won one with 3 unbuilt locos by 10p, only want one of the kits so will need to resell the other two. Took a bit of a risk as no photos of contentment's, but the seller states they are new, the boxes look to be in A1 condition (one Wills 2 x GEM ) the chances are all is OK. Seller accepts no returns, which is fine with me providing his description is accurate

The other listing was a Roxey Mouldings tank loco, with what looks to be additional Alan Gibson packs inc wheels, surprised it only reached just over £32 + postage, also a more or less empty Alan Gibson tank loco box, even this can be put to good use for a box-less loco. The chassis has been started, but the photos were both unclear and small, plus ended just before midday yesterday.

Looks like a trader and with kits/kit built just wants to shift items quickly, which for me is good news

The second punt, which in some ways was the better bet yet still a bit of an unknown entity turned out to be an excellent buy at £38.61 inc postage

As expected the items in the Alan Gibson box were used frets plus a slightly used Dinghams 4mm scale fret, but the box and Dinghams are both wanted and of value

After a quick check the Roxey Dean 0-4-4T not only looks complete, but comes with a Gibson wheel set, a Mashima motor, a Markits gear set, a set of Gibson hornblocks and a second set of Gibson sprung buffers.

The loco kit itself unless the price has increased is very reasonable, the wheel set, motor and gearbox nearly double the price. I was thinking of buying one and to get what is a complete (with wheels, motor & gearbox) kit for under £40 is an excellent find

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

On 21/06/2023 at 07:35, hayfield said:

The first punt arrived today and I received at least what I had hoped for, I paid just over £60 which included £10 postage, I found the reason as it came from the Chanel Islands 

What caught my eye was an old Isle of Man 2-4-0T "Maitland in 00n3", sadly missing the instructions and 1 coupling rod, but includes Romford wheels and one gear (box says comes with wheels and gear wheel, no worm). Still I got the kit I wanted, a chassis and wheels I did not expect. Overall very pleased. Just noticed it requires a Triang XT60 motor, I have sold everyone that came into my possession except for one which has been modified with a Romford worm !!! and I guess answers the worm gear question

I now have to sell on an original (yellow box) GEM GWR 56xx body in unbuilt mint condition and an old Wills GWR 61xx prairie body again in mint condition, both include instructions plus a set of M&L Dean Single instructions

Simply these kits owe me £20 each, I may have to sell the 56xx for a bit less, if I am lucky I might get a bit more for the 61xx. If I do come out with the IOM loco for £20 I will be well pleased

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 3

Pleased with my £18 SNCF 2-8-2 and a recent bootsale find, a boxed Rivarossi 1341 pacific for £25. "You Labiche. You will drive the train..."

20230623_153347.jpg

20230623_153330.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

A lovely time capsule found on ebay. £23 and it's mine! Well looked after, complete with the card tunnel and a chuffing tender. Why are my trousers damp?

20230624_143040.jpg

20230624_143134.jpg

• Like 6

Just over a month ago I bought two lots comprising parts for some Southeastern Finecast SECR H class loco kits, I had to buy both lots as one lot was for a nearly complete loco along with motor wheels and gears but missing at least one major casting which was in the second lot, along with two incomplete body kits. I paid £70 for both lots

The items came and I managed to collect enough parts for a complete kit (including an etched chassis), a set of Markit wheels, a Mashima 1426 flat can motor and a Branchlines Multi gearbox. Given the wheels, motor and gearbox RRP covers the expense I thought my £70 was safe

A bit delayed I put the two part bodies on eBay starting at £10. One body was 90% complete and the other was missing quite a lot including some body parts. I would have accepted £10 for them but hoped for more. in the end they went for £26 and one body could be completed with minimal extras so hopefully will be a good but for someone else

My complete kit will end up at under £50, it is part built and someone fitter both the motor in the wrong direction( it would not fit in the boiler) and I think the central chassis retaining casting is the wrong way round, the good news is that what has been built bodywise looks to have been superglued, easy to take apart

Its well worth looking out these type of lots as usually they are well worth the trouble, unless you are time poor, and do share what you do not want as they may well do someone else a good turn. But always be prepared for the odd disappointment, if in doubt don't buy unless its very cheap 

I probably have one too many of these kits, so I may well sell a Wills kit I have with the early etched chassis, this may well result in a free upgrade from an early Wills Finecast kit to a SEF kit with wheels motor and gears.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Was watching this because I've always had a soft-spot for the BTH Type 1 from when the sole survivor had a stay at Mangapps for a while

image.png.f7e6b7b18b338584cf8a24bb9c0d9036.png

It was listed for £120 delivered which for what looks to be a well-built Alexander Models piece was reasonable, but as seems to be common these days when watching items, an unsolicited offer came in for £95. OK, I had no intention of buying it, was just watching it really. It allowed a counter-offer so I put in a "no chance" one of £80.

Should arrive in the next few days 😆

• Like 6

I spotted an 0-16.5 Hunslet quarry loco which looked to be built from brass, in the end I was the only bidder £49.50 + £4.00 p&p 

1570.jpeg.5f32a9f9b22b794aacdf7428046565ae.jpeg1571.jpeg.082cf9942032599ed5efe5ea1587cbf6.jpeg

I thought it was worth a punt as it was not the Poole/Peco model, in my opinion a badly presented lot with the minimum description "a good runner". Needs a repaint, new cab details and perhaps a few extra body details. Also has a set of nameplates "Queen Elizabeth"

1574.jpeg.cfb70e45499feb0765f592e55fc6fe95.jpeg

Certainly does not look a scratch built loco, Romford Bulldog 5 pole motor, and Romford wheels, cranks and gears. A very sturdy brass bar outside frame chassis, and the body seemed to be an early etched brass kit, very well built. I gave the motor and axles a quick oil and it ran beautifully without even cleaning the wheels.

Its been suggested its a Cackler/Jerry M model, which means nothing to me. Took ages to come but worth the wait

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've picked up, a Heljan falcon chassis fitted with a Bachmann class 44 body, which is in large logo livery for £45 and the chassis will go under my silver fox models, falcon body. 

Also bought 5 craftsman Models Class 52 detailing kits for £20.

I already have around 5 of them but I thought for £20 I can't go wrong. 

I might resell the class 44 body but not sure. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

@ £8:94 delivered, I'm happy 👍

Screenshot_20230709-204703-747.png.4d63292cd8b7aeecf2c7894d6b363b4c.png

I'll give you a tenner for it and you make a profit then.😇

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I'll give you a tenner for it and you make a profit then.😇

There's several on the bay at the moment.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155592499265?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=JuumZthaThC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=47OFC_W_S8-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 23/06/2023 at 10:27, hayfield said:

The first punt arrived today and I received at least what I had hoped for, I paid just over £60 which included £10 postage, I found the reason as it came from the Chanel Islands 

What caught my eye was an old Isle of Man 2-4-0T "Maitland in 00n3", sadly missing the instructions and 1 coupling rod, but includes Romford wheels and one gear (box says comes with wheels and gear wheel, no worm). Still I got the kit I wanted, a chassis and wheels I did not expect. Overall very pleased. Just noticed it requires a Triang XT60 motor, I have sold everyone that came into my possession except for one which has been modified with a Romford worm !!! and I guess answers the worm gear question

I now have to sell on an original (yellow box) GEM GWR 56xx body in unbuilt mint condition and an old Wills GWR 61xx prairie body again in mint condition, both include instructions plus a set of M&L Dean Single instructions

Simply these kits owe me £20 each, I may have to sell the 56xx for a bit less, if I am lucky I might get a bit more for the 61xx. If I do come out with the IOM loco for £20 I will be well pleased

I listed the 56xx and 61xx and got £45 in total for them, commission will not be bad as it was a -80% fee week so the GEM IOMR loco cost £15 plus a bit of commission, better than I expected and much better than I feared. On its own I would have paid £25 easily for the kit, so very pleased. I now have a chassis for this loco from Branchlines, so I may well move the cast chassis on to soften the cost of it over the next few weeks, having said this Branchlines are still charging the same now as they were in 2018, not many companies would hold down their prices for that long

In another sale this weekend An item I first listed 2 months ago also sold, the first two times it was at £15, the last 3 times it was at £10. having been unsold for 4 listings it went today for £19, it has been a good day for me on eBay moving on unwanted and surplus items.

I still have loads to sell but its going in the right direction

• Like 3

Generally I am increasingly reluctant to buy second hand stuff off ebay as usually my idea of excellent condition is not the same as some sellers. Anyway I was looking for a replacement for my old Lima 47 but was not inclined to pay £200 for a new Bachmann one. I contemplated a new Hornby Railroad Plus 47 and putting the Lima bodyshell on the new chassis as the Lima bodyshell is more suitable for the period I'm modelling than any of the currently available Hornby Versions.

Then I saw a Second Hand Bachmann 47 on ebay for £79 including postage. The price seemed reasonable and condition from the photo's at least looked good. So I opted to buy price seemed to be vindicated the following day when an identical model at auction went for only £2 less but had 2 missing buffers.

Anyway It arrived on Saturday and not only was it in excellent condition but came DCC fitted and with sealed detail pack which were not in the description. I have also managed to £30 for my old Lima Model so overall very pleased with the upgrade for the money. The 47 not as detailed as the latest Bachmann models  but better than the Lima/Hornby, you get working lights and of course the motor is better than the old Lima motor for effectively £50 not bad.

• Like 2

Neither "new" or "mint" are words that come to mind with Ebay unless its an expensive collectable item and certainly rarely a "good buy".  I accept there are retailers on the platform and many trying to pass off items as new

I am neither a collector or someone who follows the RTR market, nor am I interested in DCC and prefer my stock pre nationalization, so have no idea of values other that some astronomic prices for the latest RTR offerings

However I am continually surprised at the amount of  items in some cases 50 years old which come to light, still in original packing unbuilt. Still its good to see little gems popping up in all areas of our hobby

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...