Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

Revisited the £40 T9 I got the other week this evening, placed it on the DCC track and no buzzing sound, placed it in the DCC programming track and it came up as an error, loco and tender bodies off only to discover its DCC fitted with a DCC Concepts chip! 
IMG_9541.HEIC

tried a different chip in it and it still gave an error message so tried the chip in another loco and sure enough it read ok and moved, placed the chip back in the T9, played about with the pickups on the pony truck a bit and slightly moved a suppressor next to the DCC socket and it burst into life on the analog test track, left it running for an hour or so and placed it back on DCC and it works a treat, will need a bit of lubrication as it’s a tad noisy in one direction 
IMG_9540.HEIC

noticed the coupling bar between the loco and tender is missing though, didn’t spot that originally so I’ll have to make one, still need to reapply the front bogie and the piece of plastic below the smoke box but it’s certainly more of a bargain now I’ve discovered it’s chipped!

also revisited the cheap Oxford radial that had the rear wheel super glued to the chassis, that’s up and running too, very noisy though, again going to try a bit if lubrication to see if it cures the squeal

Edited by big jim
  • Like 5

At a penny under £46 including postage I won a part Westward 7mm scale GWR B set coach with plenty of extras. Against a 4mm scale coach it dwarfs it. All the hard work done just the fittings need fitting then painted. Just need a modern coach to go behing some tank locos I have

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Got the T9 back together today, bogie properly secured and gears lubricated with light oil, it runs ok on DCC, not as good as on analog on the rollers though

I’ve decided it’s going to lose its DCC chip to a more worthy loco that I’m actually going to use regularly and it can live in the display case on analog for now 

the radial is loads better with the gears lubricated, that’s finally back together and on display after sitting at the back of the baseboard for months in pieces 

• Like 2

A couple of nice little buys. For £18, a boxed, Jouef class 40 in blue, flushglazed.  A "non runner". After a service and clean of the contacts, runs great and the lights work both ends! Also, £14, another "non runner". Piko, DB, class BR91, 2-6-0T. Extra pick-ups added by previous owner shorting out. Removed them and now smooth mover!

20230228_221449.jpg

20230228_221311.jpg

Edited by 33C
Added detail.
  • Like 5

Being both a kit builder and EM gauge modeller I find I tend to build/ re-built / re-chassis kit built locos and kits. Most modern kits tend to have EM frame spacers, as for kit built chassis rebuilding a chassis need EM gauge frame spacers.

I enjoy building Perseverance chassis kits, initially they came with 00. E< & P4 gauge frame spacers, latterly only with 00 gauge frame spacers unless alternatives were ordered, If I bought a built chassis then the spacers have to be changed, Percy spacers have location  tabs, which are easier to fit and something universal spacers do not have

1363.jpeg.2e53dd1221531e73a1f53f6bdd9530e1.jpeg

So finding a few strips is very useful 

• Like 3

Just picked up 3 sets of sealed Gibson driving wheels for under a tenner, plus reasonable postage.

I thought I'd missed out, because having (manually) sniped, a few seconds before the end, the program seemed to 'hang', and there was no almost instantaneous "You've won. Now cough up" email, so I was resigned to having to keep looking.

So, I was very pleased to get the winner email a few minutes later. Happy days 😎

Mark

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MarkC said:

Just picked up 3 sets of sealed Gibson driving wheels for under a tenner, plus reasonable postage.

I thought I'd missed out, because having (manually) sniped, a few seconds before the end, the program seemed to 'hang', and there was no almost instantaneous "You've won. Now cough up" email, so I was resigned to having to keep looking.

So, I was very pleased to get the winner email a few minutes later. Happy days 😎

Mark

This delayed announcing the result has been occurring for quite some time now and seems to be happening to both buyers and sellers, it may be down to a number of lots ending at the same time and a new reconciliation process, possibly being caused by increased use of sniping. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, hayfield said:

This delayed announcing the result has been occurring for quite some time now and seems to be happening to both buyers and sellers, it may be down to a number of lots ending at the same time and a new reconciliation process, possibly being caused by increased use of sniping. 

Cheers, John. That's interesting.

As I said, I manually bid - manual sniping, if you will - and wondered if I'd missed out due to losing internet signal at the crucial moment, which has happened before ☹️

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Cheers, John. That's interesting.

As I said, I manually bid - manual sniping, if you will - and wondered if I'd missed out due to losing internet signal at the crucial moment, which has happened before ☹️

Mark

Mark

Quite often I have both my phone on and the computer going, I leave it to the end and like you bid right at the death, interestingly the phone is actually  set 1 sec in advance of the computer, I assume due to the differing response times. I use both as a bit of a belt and braces approach as on the odd occasion the computer slows down whilst downloading a (security ?) update, sometimes worth trying a low bid first followed by a larger one seconds later.

Snipes if my understanding is correct work on the basis that paid for ones are at the last second, free ones a second or two before. I just don't worry about getting out bid unless its something very rare, even then quite often hoarders (like me) when seeing the value on something lurking in the back of their cupboards reaching high numbers usually encourages these to be sold thus reducing the value.

However for me the best thing is finding the odd gem that others miss, if you can afford anything then some of the fun is taken away. When needed like recently buying a Mainly Trains J72 chassis I buy from the trade, but where at the moment can I buy Perseverance EM gauge spacers?. OK other makes will work, but not as well as the original with location tabs

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Think I got a couple of good ones.

Firstly a DJH E1 for £33 - I only wanted the tender and the cab to make a pattern for a brass version so all good and a D&S NER 6 wheel brake for £52 which considering what they go for I was happy with.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I seem t on have a thing for buying small tank engines at the minute, after the rapido hunslets, pi Kerr Stewart, Dapol B4s I’ve now got a Dapol Andrew Barclay

DCC fitted with a stay alive for £109 which im more than happy with as it will save me the hassle of trying to chip it myself 

E7F314C8-566B-4614-899B-28D722934CEB.jpeg.f82619211321afd8ef24414d38609178.jpeg

• Like 3

A few days back I won a 7 mm scale part built but incomplete Acorn Models (Mercian Models) GWR 1366 loco kit

s-l500.jpg   s-l500.jpg

The etchings for this kit are more or less complete, what is missing are the castings. Being a GWR loco I am hoping most of the missing items will be available as I assume these kits are now unavailable. The kit cost me £27,75 inc postage.

I have a spare set of wheels in my spares box, and may have a large (16mm can motor) 00 gauge motor which should power it, I also have both 4mm scale plans and a 4mm loco which I can use to see what additional parts I require to either source or scratch build

At the same time I bought an much older type 7mm body kit kit for a SR G6 in stamper brass coloured material similar to a Jamieson kit

s-l500.jpg

Cost me £48 inc postage, but includes motor, gears and a few extras. Most of the basic pressings are there and the extra spares will cushion the price. Also a basic chassis is available from Premier models at an attractive price. I do have a set of drivers in the spares box about a scale inch too large, which unless I really go to town should be fine, plus the odd spare I don't need which can be sold on

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have just taken a blind chance on a barn find condition Proto 2000 HO switcher that looks like it picked a fight with a bear and lost.

Could be okay, could be junk, it was cheap though.

We shall see what is what when it arrives, probably even more broken from its trip through the postal system!

I passed on the same sellers even more wrecked Proto 2000 SD60 though, I can do repairs, not miracles!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very happy with this. Whilst I don't have much 7mm stuff I do have some, so a cheap riveting tool, flare bending thingy and some hold down type things should be very useful.

I have no need for the controller PSU (which looks brand new, never had a plug on it) or any of the new soldering iron tips so will find a way to pass those on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/modelling-tools-job-lot-ickleton-tools-/134483070963

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Very happy with this. Whilst I don't have much 7mm stuff I do have some, so a cheap riveting tool, flare bending thingy and some hold down type things should be very useful.

I have no need for the controller PSU (which looks brand new, never had a plug on it) or any of the new soldering iron tips so will find a way to pass those on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/modelling-tools-job-lot-ickleton-tools-/134483070963

I looked at this lot but as I have a LRM rivet press and knew little about the other stuff I decided not to bid, glad it went to a good home  and I did not cause an increase in the price

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

A rare, vintage, luxury, highly detailed and accurate locomotive has shown up on Canadian eBay.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/266147753600

It was the class 17s that looked wrong, not the model.

A must buy for n gauge fans

There is a blue version listed for $C38.38 as parts only, so this one is a bargain! Further down the screen, are two D.B. versions listed at $C151.27 each. Well if you're flush with funds, why not buy them all?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

My Andrew Barclay turned up but unfortunately it’s been slightly damaged in the post despite being well packaged managed to fix it (straightened it better than the 2nd picture now too so you can’t tell), just need to run it to check that’s ok too but I can’t see any issues with the motion etc 

3F1C3818-1C0C-4B56-B19D-07E5F255A7C6.jpeg.616a83f8f022f914de95cd8922c76950.jpeg

19497210-6AEA-44DA-9BDA-5EA5A3812CDF.jpeg.52f81e05137e359cc031da99dcc084f7.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully another good buy (as long as it turns up in one piece unlike my last few purchases!) 

Heljan 009 L&B “Lyn” in undecorated black livery, the title is a bit poor as when I clicked on the description it says it’s also DCC chipped with a Zimo chip

i put in an offer of £110 which was accepted but i also had a nectar offer active that gave me £9.50 of nectar points back, the seller has a southern livery one which I’d have preferred for £130 but it didn’t say it was chipped so I went for this one instead 

584B2A5C-C07B-48F1-BF2A-400F52FE128D.jpeg.8a44bfd7c7b2af7fc432eee815ff31f4.jpeg

• Like 3

I bought from a trader at Alley Pally a Mercian Models Ffestiniog (number 12 ) etched brass bogie coach kit, complete in box for £35. I have no idea whether its was new old stock or second hand untouched. All there including castings and wheels.  

I just could not think of any reason not to buy it at that price and goes into the 7mm narrow gauge stock.

This must be the first year I have not spent any money at the Model Railway clubs stand, I think they have caught up with currant prices 

• Like 1