Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

The booty is paying dividends lately! 30 loco's, (7 boxed), about 20 odd wagons, 12 coaches, controllers etc for £235 after a haggle. All worked after a little servicing. Some details to replace but nothing serious. 

20230319_094842.jpg

20230319_094832.jpg

• Like 2

Five days ago I won a K's 80's series (plastic spoked wheels on a D shaped axel plus the HP2M motor) of a GWR/BR 15xx still shrink wrapped on its card backings.at £37.50 inc packing, still waiting for delivery as it took the house clearance company 3 days to get it into Evri's system

As someone who likes whitemetal kits, a K's fan and model the GWR its a missing link in my Pannier Tank collection, whilst out of my era it ticks 3 out of 4 boxes and a fith when you look at the price and condition

s-l500.png

The good thing about buying from these types of sellers is that generally they fetch less than from a railway business or modeller probably because it was described as AK'S locomotive kit so missed a lot of the searches

These locos strictly are BR, whilst designed by the GWR they entered service after Nationalization. Still in some ways its one of the better kits in that the motion is nicely etched

It may be a bit of a challenge to build as I model in EM gauge and it will be the clearance between the valve gear and crankpins that will be the major issue.

The other issue is the footplate has no centre section, so I may be forced to use the brass bar chassis.

The wheels and motor will be sold on, I will need a set of Gibson wheels, but have a DS10 motor which should fit the bill  

One of those nice to have buys  without breaking the bank

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Five days ago I won a K's 80's series (plastic spoked wheels on a D shaped axel plus the HP2M motor) of a GWR/BR 15xx still shrink wrapped on its card backings.at £37.50 inc packing, still waiting for delivery as it took the house clearance company 3 days to get it into Evri's system

As someone who likes whitemetal kits, a K's fan and model the GWR its a missing link in my Pannier Tank collection, whilst out of my era it ticks 3 out of 4 boxes and a fith when you look at the price and condition

s-l500.png

The good thing about buying from these types of sellers is that generally they fetch less than from a railway business or modeller probably because it was described as AK'S locomotive kit so missed a lot of the searches

These locos strictly are BR, whilst designed by the GWR they entered service after Nationalization. Still in some ways its one of the better kits in that the motion is nicely etched

It may be a bit of a challenge to build as I model in EM gauge and it will be the clearance between the valve gear and crankpins that will be the major issue.

The other issue is the footplate has no centre section, so I may be forced to use the brass bar chassis.

The wheels and motor will be sold on, I will need a set of Gibson wheels, but have a DS10 motor which should fit the bill  

One of those nice to have buys  without breaking the bank

This company also attempts to sell things twice, innocuously or not I don't know, but I bid and won 2 "AK's" wagons, paid for them, only to be told they'd already been sold. Instant refund so no great harm done, but they may be out of their depth?

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

39 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

This company also attempts to sell things twice, innocuously or not I don't know, but I bid and won 2 "AK's" wagons, paid for them, only to be told they'd already been sold. Instant refund so no great harm done, but they may be out of their depth?

Mike.

I have done this a couple of times when I had not realised an item which did not sell got relisted automatically, I realised this quickly so no one affected. But then I am selling the odd item

I am glad they are a bit lost with model railway items. In computer terms it fooled the searches. These are not the most common of kits and still in sealed packaging. Usually fetching high prices

I know the NuCast Partnership sell the 16xx but I don't think they do the 15xx 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I'm glad it's not LNERy stuff as that's the kind of pile I'd feel sorry for and have a crack at!

I had a look when it was first listed but not knowing too much about both 7mm scale and the LMS its far too much a gamble to break into a bidding war.

The retail cost of the Slaters wheels far surpass its current value, but as I said not knowing the 7mm etched kit market that well, for me its best to watch others spend their money as I am not into buying just to to sell on at a profit., especially in a format I have limited knowledge of.

• Agree 1

Looks like eBay prices are starting to recover, perhaps not fully recovered but the buyers are coming out again. I am getting a bit low on 18mm wheels and other smaller diameter wheels, I took a punt on one lot and bought a second lot to farm

The punt was for just under £12 for what I think are 3 pairs of 21mm Markit wheels, lousy photo but well worth a punt

The farming lot was for two Wills N7 whitemetal body kits (one built but not painted, the other un-built). One SEF N7 etched brass chassis and finally a set of Markit wheels 18mm wheels. Given the wheels are now a small fortune and the SEF chassis are not cheap  I am pleased with the price

As far as costs are concerned I am looking at 4 separate lots which individually cost me £18,24 each, I will keep what I need and hopefully will be able to sell on the bits I don't require for at least what I paid for them after costs. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, big jim said:

Couldn’t click on this fast enough this morning!

4 Bachmann TEA tanks, unboxed for £60

52661CF1-6BF1-4E97-8531-E645A5AF4185.jpeg.4456c5a922f96f03fc8561add0b22f6e.jpeg

not really my era but could run as a big demonstration freight on the heritage line! 

That's a good idea, stop somebody who could make use of them purchasing, really Jim!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That's a good idea, stop somebody who could make use of them purchasing, really Jim!

Mike.

quickest finger wins! 

TBH I was thinking of using them as barrier wagons for Unit moves,strip the BP decals off and top and tail with my class 20s 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Forgot I put an offer in for this last night, anyhoo it was accepted earlier, not got a 31 in my display cabinet collection so it fills a nice gap (and it’s a fairly new non chassis rot version)

£80

7BFD49E3-A870-4FB1-B446-372249D4A813.jpeg.4b1c9afa1963b6bbe5f4d709af8de87b.jpeg

• Like 3

On 27/03/2023 at 08:56, hayfield said:

Looks like eBay prices are starting to recover, perhaps not fully recovered but the buyers are coming out again. I am getting a bit low on 18mm wheels and other smaller diameter wheels, I took a punt on one lot and bought a second lot to farm

The punt was for just under £12 for what I think are 3 pairs of 21mm Markit wheels, lousy photo but well worth a punt

The farming lot was for two Wills N7 whitemetal body kits (one built but not painted, the other un-built). One SEF N7 etched brass chassis and finally a set of Markit wheels 18mm wheels. Given the wheels are now a small fortune and the SEF chassis are not cheap  I am pleased with the price

As far as costs are concerned I am looking at 4 separate lots which individually cost me £18,24 each, I will keep what I need and hopefully will be able to sell on the bits I don't require for at least what I paid for them after costs. 

The items arrived today, both locos are missing a few bits, but then they are Wills kits and I was checking them against a Southeastern Finecast sheet, the un-built kit has all the parts for the round top firebox which is what I wanted, the part built kit is more or less there for the Belpaire firebox version without condensing gear. I may have enough spares anyway to make at least 1 complete kit

Still an unused set of 18mm Markit wheels (shocked at  their new price of £51 rrp) and an etched chassis kit. Just have got to decide what I to keep other than the wheels

The other wheels also arrived which are all insulated 21mm Romfords, always useful. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully another good buy, £40 for an unmotorised Heljan 009 L+B loco with a 20% off voucher through eBay 

AD8AB6E6-3468-4613-9FAE-ADF81C4FCFA9.jpeg.7c29ad0c4e22a5c4e02b8e7b868cc67b.jpeg

As it happens say in my display cabinet is a damaged “Yeo” that I got from the Stafford show for £20, it had been dropped and is missing it’s whole front end below the smoke box, no running plate or buffer beam etc, I was thinking of making new bits from plasticard to cosmetically repair it but I can just (hopefully) whip the motor and drive train out of it and fit it to this one 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, big jim said:

Hopefully another good buy, £40 for an unmotorised Heljan 009 L+B loco with a 20% off voucher through eBay 

AD8AB6E6-3468-4613-9FAE-ADF81C4FCFA9.jpeg.7c29ad0c4e22a5c4e02b8e7b868cc67b.jpeg

As it happens say in my display cabinet is a damaged “Yeo” that I got from the Stafford show for £20, it had been dropped and is missing it’s whole front end below the smoke box, no running plate or buffer beam etc, I was thinking of making new bits from plasticard to cosmetically repair it but I can just (hopefully) whip the motor and drive train out of it and fit it to this one 

As the saying goes "It's great when a plan comes together". It seems you are similar to me in thinking buying something which you think might be a way of obtaining some spares which may be of use actually later becomes the missing link to another much better project. 

I am always on the look out for items which will provide me with either low cost or free items

Recently I have bought two lots to farm (strip out the additional Items). giving me unused parts at at least a third of their RRP

Well done as you have not only got an expensive loco cheaply, but still have some additional parts to use/sell. That's a "very good buy" in my opinion

• Like 1

It now seems that the additional items in a basic kit may well worth more than the kit itself. I bought a "complete" Wills Finecast GWR 2251 including a wheel set and Motor packs. etched loco and tender chassis and even a Romford wheel screwdriver at the end of last week

I have just totted up the rrp of the extras, and they came to £138.47 with the bodyline kit itself £45 extra

I plan to keep the chassis (loco & tender), wheel pack, motor pack, backhead pack. and sell the loco kit, Romford screwdriver and 00 axles

Whatever I get for the unwanted items will reduce my acquisition cost, which was less than todays wheel pack price.

The down side if any, is the loco chassis and firebox/boiler/smoke box unit have been badly part soldered together, The chassis is a doddle to de-solder, the firebox/boiler/smoke box unit a little harder and depending on what type of solder has been used I may have to delicately use my hot air de-solder station.  But it brings kit buying into a new relm

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Picked up an Alan Gibson J15 the other day. Quite an early one but one strange thing - the wheels have a brass bush moulded into the centre. Not bad for under £60 and also 8x nectar points.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Picked up an Alan Gibson J15 the other day. Quite an early one but one strange thing - the wheels have a brass bush moulded into the centre. Not bad for under £60 and also 8x nectar points.

I believe they are an early Gibson design and one which has been reintroduced for certain sizes for self assembly. I assume these will allow wheels to be removed without damage ?

BRASS CENTRED DRIVING WHEELS We are currently reintroducing a range of Brass Centred wheels in kit form. These wheels are of the same pattern as the standard wheels and we have added an additional column to the driving wheel table to indicate availability. Since Alan produced such wheels we have listened to customer comments and have decided to change how these wheels are offered. We will provide two wheel castings, two tyres separately and a length of axle material as a kit. The Brass Centres have an under size pilot hole and an oversize outer diameter with the intention being that the modeller can finish the internal hole to suit, mount the centre on a mandrel and turn the outer true to the bore. The tyre can then be fitted by whatever method required, given sufficient temperature difference it should be possible to ‘shrink’ the tyre on to the centre. This system also allows the modeller to decide how to insulate the wheel, at the rim, at the axle or not at all. We feel pricing reflects 2 castings, 2 tyres and the fact that work is required to complete. We have no plans to produce completed wheels at the moment due to the manufacturing overhead, but we wouldn’t rule it out in the future. After some head scratching we decided to prefix the normal wheel code with BK for Brass Kit, if you require S4 tyres you have the option of stating so or swapping the 8 for an ‘S’. Code Item BK48** Brass Steam Loco Driving Wheel kit up to 18.5mm Price AI BK48** Brass Steam Loco Driving Wheel kit over 18.5mm to 32mm Price

Think they are about £10 a pair instead of £7.50

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I believe they are an early Gibson design and one which has been reintroduced for certain sizes for self assembly. I assume these will allow wheels to be removed without damage ?

BRASS CENTRED DRIVING WHEELS We are currently reintroducing a range of Brass Centred wheels in kit form. These wheels are of the same pattern as the standard wheels and we have added an additional column to the driving wheel table to indicate availability. Since Alan produced such wheels we have listened to customer comments and have decided to change how these wheels are offered. We will provide two wheel castings, two tyres separately and a length of axle material as a kit. The Brass Centres have an under size pilot hole and an oversize outer diameter with the intention being that the modeller can finish the internal hole to suit, mount the centre on a mandrel and turn the outer true to the bore. The tyre can then be fitted by whatever method required, given sufficient temperature difference it should be possible to ‘shrink’ the tyre on to the centre. This system also allows the modeller to decide how to insulate the wheel, at the rim, at the axle or not at all. We feel pricing reflects 2 castings, 2 tyres and the fact that work is required to complete. We have no plans to produce completed wheels at the moment due to the manufacturing overhead, but we wouldn’t rule it out in the future. After some head scratching we decided to prefix the normal wheel code with BK for Brass Kit, if you require S4 tyres you have the option of stating so or swapping the 8 for an ‘S’. Code Item BK48** Brass Steam Loco Driving Wheel kit up to 18.5mm Price AI BK48** Brass Steam Loco Driving Wheel kit over 18.5mm to 32mm Price

Think they are about £10 a pair instead of £7.50

Thanks John, that sounds more like how Romford wheels are produced? The spoked portion of these are still plastic, it's just the centre that is a brass bush:

image.png.7763d658a2c6b9e946e4fb5dfba0999f.png

The ends of the axles are also turned down slightly to suit so assuming they are accurate it allows good B2B - although quartering would still be required.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2023 at 19:06, big jim said:

Forgot I put an offer in for this last night, anyhoo it was accepted earlier, not got a 31 in my display cabinet collection so it fills a nice gap (and it’s a fairly new non chassis rot version)

£80

7BFD49E3-A870-4FB1-B446-372249D4A813.jpeg.4b1c9afa1963b6bbe5f4d709af8de87b.jpeg

the 31 arrived earlier in the week, finally managed to have a look at it today, as I got it out of the box I noticed an 8 pin blanking socket in there so I put it on the DCC test track and low and behold, chipped, an even better bargain than I’d hoped for! 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

Had to pick up a TV guide for the wife on the way to work so popped in the charity shop next door on the off chance and lo and behold! £15 the lot. Cheapo, battery train set is unused and the two loco's worked perfectly after a little service.

20230412_130638.jpg

20230412_130622.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully another bargain, a class 58 has been lacking from my collection for a while, used to have the Heljan ‘preserved’ 58001 which I regret selling but they have been commanding decent money on eBay so have never managed to replace it, this however came up this afternoon which is a nice replacement for it as I was after a BR era loco rather than post privatisation 

EFE class 58 DCC chipped for a bargain £87 

9E5D6CD8-770C-4680-B3FF-27EE38794E69.jpeg.fc39be36c7d2b0c0f49bbeeb8e20ceb0.jpeg

• Like 3