Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

Skaledale midland signal box for £12 

pretty sure it’s the model rail Ltd Ed ‘Barrow hill’ one, if not it’s no biggie, it’s missing its finials (as is my existing barrow hill box) 

IMG_4486.jpeg.c11be07aa9372b237dd40c3e2f46ba9c.jpeg

This one will be a nice companion to the existing one as well as my tall coalville crossing box  

• Like 2

My first impulse buy of the New Year, and very much open to debate if it's a good buy, but certainly cheap. A house clearance company was unloading lots of kit locos, and this one got very much missed/avoided in the buying frenzy. A K's GWR tank engine which seems decently built if you ignore the paint/transfers. Probably going to be a pain to get to run, but at 8 pounds including postage it's worth a dabble I think.

s-l1600(1).jpg.b3c0181d50423f977567e43ad453148c.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sjcm said:

My first impulse buy of the New Year, and very much open to debate if it's a good buy, but certainly cheap. A house clearance company was unloading lots of kit locos, and this one got very much missed/avoided in the buying frenzy. A K's GWR tank engine which seems decently built if you ignore the paint/transfers. Probably going to be a pain to get to run, but at 8 pounds including postage it's worth a dabble I think.

Well done looks like you have found an early one with pre-quartered wheels, Mk1 motor and keyhole chassis. I never had issues with quartering the wheels just meshing the gears

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Lovely bit of model archaeology awaits...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, 33C said:

Lovely bit of model archaeology awaits...

Indeed. looking forward to having a proper look. The seller has stuck a load more of these on if anyone is interested

linky

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think this one comes under "patience is a virtue".

3 or 4 years ago I picked up a Martin Finney LNER 1928 corridor tender for £50.

Today I picked up an A4 to go with it for £160.

Current (not unreasonable for the quality) price from Brassmasters is £290.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not sure what to make of this one until it arrives, DCC fitted Bachmann 47 in ROGs livery as 47813, says it’s been resprayed by Andi Walshaw (who I’m sure is on RMWeb) 

looks to be in very good condition, hoping the stringy bits around the cab in the last picture is just cobwebs and not glue! 

it has the correct flush ends and revised class 57 style radiator grilles, needs a jumper socket adding though 
IMG_4811.jpeg.3bdb1320070edaf324551be52c025546.jpeg

IMG_4812.jpeg.b9942819712cc0882fa9f60d6f7190fc.jpeg

IMG_4814.jpeg.e0c90b5a0faa682d016af2c8e4691f29.jpeg

IMG_4813.jpeg.f2aedc7eefe1c851b3233c293101cfda.jpeg

and the price £82! 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Arrived yesterday and it’s better than the pics show, it was just cobwebs on the end,  one of the etched grilles has come adrift but nothing a dab of glue won’t fix, really happy with it! 
IMG_4876.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Not eBay but got a couple of bargains today, I’m on my hols in Somerset and went into Weston super mare this afternoon, my lad spotted a Lego sign on a shop so we went to have a look and it turned out the shop was a toy/collectors shop who bought and sold used items including trains 

spotred what looked like a Bachmann MK1 coach for £30 which seemed a bit expensive

IMG_4889.jpeg

then I spotted another 3 and on closer inspection I realised it was a southern unit of some sort as a couple of coaches had yellow ends which may be worth looking at for £120, asked the guy if it was the best he could do and he said he’d do the 4 coaches for £100

turns out its a Kernow 4TC unit! 

IMG_4891.jpeg

was just about to pay for it and I also spotted a Heljan Falcon for £80 which I got down to £70, it’s missing a buffer beam at one end but I’m sure I can get one as a spare, as I was photographing it I noticed it says ‘DCC and sound fitted for Olivia’s trains’ on the label, just took the body off to check and it’s been removed, had it have been in there it would have been bargain if the year but still happy with it for £70! 

IMG_4892.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

Kits are a bit like busses you wait for ages then two or more all come at once. I am a member of the Lynton & Barnstable railway mainly as I volunteer at the East Anglian support group as they build their coaches

3 weeks ago I brought a job lot of incomplete loco kits, unknown to me there were incomplete kits of L&B Comp and brake third etched Langley 0-16.5 coached 

17.png.bd3ca31a9a3b0d8fc3dcbee7e6779194.png

Anyway I became aware of a couple of Slaters early version brake 3rd coach kits, there was quite a few watchers and I thought I would have stiff competition as there were quite a few small bids.  I was amazed to have won the first one for £23.57, the second one had more parts visible and was the better bet, well I got it for £11.50. plus another £5 postage. All I could see were a 3 step boards missing, providing the 2 35nn film boxes contained the brass castings

Not quite so good a buy was A L&B 0-16.5 loco minus chassis a nd a few castings, this came in just under £100, I am hoping Langley or Slaters will sell me the chimney and dome which is missing and I should be able to knock up a basic chassis as most of it is hidden behind extended frames

• Like 3

Surprisingly when I returned home from the L&B workshop (working on replacement parts for coach 17 which is having an overhaul at Woody Bay) a package was waiting for me

It was the two Slaters L&B 15/16 brake third, a quick check showed one bogie, 2 step boards and a pair of seats were missing and probably some glazing material. When the cost of these coaches are £100 each there is plenty of room for the spares, the most difficult to reproduce are the benches, I see a new pair of bogies are £24 so I might try and have a go at fabricating one but at £20 each I am happy

I have not read the instructions, but interestingly the outer sides and ends slide over the inner sides and ends, these will be an interesting build

• Like 1

been after a Ks motor for a while, mainly to look at to see if I can reverse-engineer the brush contact bits to get another motor working that's missing them. they seem to go for a bit surprisingly, so been on the lookout for one hiding as part of a joblot of bits which eventually came along. I was umming and ahing over whether to bid when the seller sent me an offer with 4 quid off so I now have a partially built gwr prairie. I think its a K's with Romford wheels? Also included was another metal tank body,  and some parts I can farm on like motors so I should get most of my 19 pounds back. still left with what I do with the loco though. oh and anyone got an idea where the coach bogies to the left are from?

spacer.png

Edited by Sjcm
  • Like 1

oh and not really a good buy, but certainly goodbye to the money. I do occasionally dabble in Jouef mainly because its only me and two blokes in France that bid on them. a rather dirty sncf pacific from the late 60's/early 70's. has a  broken buffer but should be easily fixable. 16 pounds including postage.

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

oh and not really a good buy, but certainly goodbye to the money. I do occasionally dabble in Jouef mainly because its only me and two blokes in France that bid on them. a rather dirty sncf pacific from the late 60's/early 70's. has a  broken buffer but should be easily fixable. 16 pounds including postage.

spacer.png

They may be a bit crude but, they are great runners!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, 33C said:

They may be a bit crude but, they are great runners!

Yep, very well engineered. I have developed a bit of a soft spot for them as I now own 7 of them. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sjcm said:

Yep, very well engineered. I have developed a bit of a soft spot for them as I now own 7 of them. 😂

Ditto! And coaches....and wagons....NIGHT FERRY!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sjcm said:

been after a Ks motor for a while, mainly to look at to see if I can reverse-engineer the brush contact bits to get another motor working that's missing them. they seem to go for a bit surprisingly, so been on the lookout for one hiding as part of a joblot of bits which eventually came along. I was umming and ahing over whether to bid when the seller sent me an offer with 4 quid off so I now have a partially built gwr prairie. I think its a K's with Romford wheels? Also included was another metal tank body,  and some parts I can farm on like motors so I should get most of my 19 pounds back. still left with what I do with the loco though. oh and anyone got an idea where the coach bogies to the left are from?

spacer.png

Yes defiantly Some Romford wheels, which alone are worth the £19, everything looks tidy so a decent kit for your money. I have at least 3 non running k's motors (2 smaller 1 larger) may need springs and brushes just was thinking of making at least 1 good one. However buy a modern can motor and a slimline High Level (I think Chris does two which will fit between the frames) gearbox and transform the loco

• Informative/Useful 2

One of the downsides of buying joblots of tat on ebay, is you tend to accumulate a lot of locos without tenders and vice versa. Last night I got lucky and managed to pick up 4 tenders for 6 pounds including postage. Considering you can easily pay that for 1 including postage i'm well chuffed.👍

Edited by Sjcm
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

One of the downsides of buying joblots of tat on ebay, is you tend to accumulate a lot of locos without tenders and vice versa. Last night I got lucky and managed to pick up 4 tenders for 6 pounds including postage. Considering you can easily pay that for 1 including postage i'm well chuffed.👍

Hold on I am getting very confused (it's my old age !!!)

For me the idea of buying job lots is not to keep it all. Firstly it allows you to find an item(s) which you need, you then dispose of the items you don't require, hopefully of £'s which reduces the cost of what you wanted.

Buying 1 tender for £6 + postage normally would be a good buy, selling the other 3 even if only for £1 each + postage will not only help up to 3 other folk, but will make your tender even cheaper, if you are lucky you might even get a bit more !!

Rule 1 separate tat from useful items and throw away the tat

Rule 3 recycle the items you don't want as it may do someone else a good turn and perhaps encourage others to do likewise

Rule 2 don't keep items you won't use

• Like 2

Yeah these tenders will be used to move locos on. Without a tender probably worth  +- 10 pounds. With a tender  +- 20 pounds. . 2 pounds spent each on the 3 locos going vs the profit of roughly 24 pounds was worth doing imo. The profit is in reality more than that as the loco's were part of joblots that more than paid for themselves years back and these were just the leftovers. The 4th tender I  need for a loco I'm keeping., plus there is some other bits that will come in useful.

I am trying to follow Rule 2 and sell off unwanted stuff but there is always the nagging doubt that as soon as I sell off a part, I will need it - a not uncommon occurance. Plus I'm a bit of a hoarder😎

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another last second click this evening has bagged me a pair of cavalex KBA barrier wagons for £71, missed them on release and they seem to be pretty much sold out, only TTC diecast seems to have a pair at the £90 rrp

IMG_5001.jpeg.2bd9a866e18f5947d44a9c3d879a8269.jpeg

that eBay username looks familiar!! 

I’ll probably sell the 4 Bachmann TEAs that I’d decalled up as barriers now I’ve got the proper things 

• Like 3

Had one of those deals this week that just falls into your lap occasionally, but  which I usually miss out on due to procrastination. 4 locos and some stock going for 55 pounds, and my favourite type of  business seller who doesn't deal with model railways,  and is just looking to move it on. As an auction  listing these would easily go for 65-70 with current eBay insanity and individually 80+ pounds. He had a best offer so I took the plunge and got them for 50 pounds with free postage. I actually bought them for a coach which is as mint as it looked in the photos👍

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

A good deal this week was a complete Finecast O2 complete with etched chassis all for £33. Horribly painted, but I only wanted the chassis so the body can have a strip and then go back up for sale. 

• Like 3

On 27/02/2024 at 08:08, hayfield said:

Rule 1 separate tat from useful items and throw away the tat

Rule 3 recycle the items you don't want as it may do someone else a good turn and perhaps encourage others to do likewise

Rule 2 don't keep items you won't use

That's not the true ebay spirit!

Rule 1 - Separate the tat, put it back on ebay at an inflated price so we can have a laugh about it here

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3