Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Sometimes, you see a target and pull the trigger...

s-l1600.jpg.2f62caa906ebd858fb1515b2df50b671.jpg

After much head shaking at the insane prices some Rapido Stirling Singles go for on eBay, this one practically fell out of the sky and into my lap. DCC sound fitted, stay alives installed, an hour and a half left on the auction, sitting at $295 USD with NO bids and from a seller on my side of the pond! It looked too good to be true...

...well, to an extent it was, in that I certainly didn't pay just $295 for it, but the final cost puts some of the others to shame: $450!!!

After shipping and tax it came out to just shy of an even $500 (£410 by the current conversion rate). A punch to the gut to be sure, but not near so bad as $800+!!

Paid for and marked shipped already, expected within the next couple weeks... now I've got to see to some teak coaches haven't I?

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, RedTrain said:

Paid for and marked shipped already, expected within the next couple weeks... now I've got to see to some teak coaches haven't I?

Unless you're into scratch/kit building there's not that much available in suitable RTR teak coaches either Hattons (get in quick before they sell out) or Hornby (mostly sold out).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gonna be naughty and include a non eBay bargain from cash generator, Hornby 87002 in caledonian sleeper livery for £85, they wanted £90 but I spotted the pantograph was broken so they knocked a fiver off, it’s only missing the head though 

IMG_3067.jpeg.2d1e0e5dc9ce21ec8209b3635173ed9c.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, big jim said:

Gonna be naughty and include a non eBay bargain, cash generator in Carlisle, Hornby 87002 in caledonian sleeper livery for £85, they wanted £90 but I spotted the pantograph was broken so they knocked a fiver off, it’s only missing the head though 

Tarjeta amarillo!

Mike.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is a good buy but certainly a cheap buy. Had this on my impulse buy list and with the auction  ending it would have been a crime not to offer the 11 pounds including postage for it. I always like the Jouef stuff as it's so ridiculously over engineered compared to other stuff on the market at the time and they sell well if they're working.. Arrived today, and a preliminary examination reveals a working motor and light.. 2 buffers missing but I have replacements. Will join the "oddities" fleet👍spacer.png

• Like 6

If it works and only cost £11 it must be a good buy

I have now fallen into the mentality of comparing todays prices with what I paid many years ago, just had to replace my wife's Micra's battery thinking it would cost £50. Had a shock when was charged £180 +, trouble is her car has a start stop facility, which needs an appropriate battery. Which I am informed will get battered by the start stop system

So on the value aspect certainly a good buy. But sometimes we have to push the boat out to get something and if its rare then again it can be seen as a good buy 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

How do you stop the start-stop?

Over the life of the battery, how much does the start-stop save compared to the cost of the battery?

I had a Micra with aftermarket start-stop. i.e. when you started it, it would sometimes stop again.

• Funny 3

4 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

How do you stop the start-stop?

Over the life of the battery, how much does the start-stop save compared to the cost of the battery?

I had a Micra with aftermarket start-stop. i.e. when you started it, it would sometimes stop again.

Its quite easy not to use it, but at the last service we were not warned about the battery condition, apparently its common problem with most cars using the system, but the car has so many inbuilt driving features the demand for power is much greater than older cars. the + battery lead is actually several leads all quite bulky, nothing like the old days when there was one lead on each terminal. Having said this the engine compartments used to have space in them to allow the owner to work on the engine, I dropped the bracket on to the engine floor pan, no way could I get at it without a ramp. Thankfully the car was in for a recall and the garage kindly retrieved and fitted it 

Its 2 years newer than my Micra (same mid range model) and a totally different car. I like the auto headlight dip feature, very useful as living in a rural area

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hayfield said:

If it works and only cost £11 it must be a good buy

I have now fallen into the mentality of comparing todays prices with what I paid many years ago, just had to replace my wife's Micra's battery thinking it would cost £50. Had a shock when was charged £180 +, trouble is her car has a start stop facility, which needs an appropriate battery. Which I am informed will get battered by the start stop system

So on the value aspect certainly a good buy. But sometimes we have to push the boat out to get something and if its rare then again it can be seen as a good buy 

Well a bit of research of the  cat no. on the box says it dates from 1967-68 so an early one.  6 pick ups on the wheels, 7 gears on the power bogie alone,😂 traction tyres okay  - think it was always going to work, but will strip it down for a service and then do a bit of restoration of the body. 11 quid you can't complain really even if it did turn out a total wreck.

Cars sadly are going the way of other one time DIY repairable items - i.e you need a degree in electronics and computers to repair them or a 500 pound gadget to diagnose faults. Wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Hornby go that way with sealed bodies so they can fleece people even more.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2023 at 00:36, big jim said:

Gonna be naughty and include a non eBay bargain from cash generator, Hornby 87002 in caledonian sleeper livery for £85, they wanted £90 but I spotted the pantograph was broken so they knocked a fiver off, it’s only missing the head though 

as a follow up to this, when I bought this loco last week the shop also a few Revolution trains N gauge items, I bought a rake of 3 A-tanks to sell on eBay, I went back in today and they had a load more Revolution items which raised alarm bells as there was a fair bit, I popped up to the local model shop as I recognised the hand written labels on them and asked if they had any stolen recently which they had, pretty much describing exactly what was on offer in cash generator!

went back and informed the CG manager that the items were stolen and they were taken off sale straight away and details of the model shop were handed to them, although it will take a while as the items a will now become police evidence at least the model shop will get their stock back 

of course the 3 items I bought will have to be handed back for a refund and kept as evidence too

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a small amount of O gauge stuff, but only a few pieces of Peco straight track. I really need something to be able to give a chassis a proper test. As a start I picked up a near new Y point for £25. I think they are closer to £60 new so happy with that.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not ebay, but cash converters again, hopefully not stolen this time!

3 Dapol wagons, all Ltd Editions which are of local interest for £8 each

IMG_3318.jpeg

and this unusual Hornby wagon for £8, can’t say I’ve seen this one before but it certainly stands out!

IMG_3319.jpeg

there were a few more Dapol wagons but not of huge interest and a Hornby auto coach for £10 but didn’t bother with them 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, big jim said:

and this unusual Hornby wagon for £8, can’t say I’ve seen this one before but it certainly stands out!

IMG_3319.jpeg

Nice find, you don't see these very often. It was based on a real wagon - in the early 1980s a fleet of milk tanks with unpainted stainless steel barrels appeared in this livery, some on 6-wheeled underframes, some on 4-wheeled, both with smaller diameter barrels, and I believe just five of the larger TTA-sized wagons on which this model was presumably based. They were to see very little use alas, a typically British waste of money and effort.

The stainless steel was quite shiny when new but definitely not chrome-plated!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Got my latest landfill job lot yesterday, and after a quick examination I may have got lucky. Looking at the locos I should make 30 pounds minimum on ebay prices. There's also a load of wagons and coaches from 2 rail Hornby dublo/Triang to more modern Hornby lima stuff that should bring in another tenner.

One thing I didn't factor in when I bid was the kit built crab because I couldn't see a tender, but low and behold it has one. I'm guessing it's a wills(?) . At some point it's met the floor hard as the cab roof is bent and broken but repairable. I'm a sucker for this sort of stuff so will keep this.

IMG_20231112_100557.jpg.ecbc58e82a7e1c4ef4853e7b0f30c98e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

A surprising win on eBay - only six bids and left my bid until the last ten seconds - and I won - £92.00 plus free P&P. described as "As new - never run" - box still had factory tissue around it. Average price of others on eBay £167.00.

2/1/2024 - I would add that I have now fitted the loco with a Hornby 21pin TXS Sound decoder, speaker and power bank. It runs very well and sounds tremendous. 

53319839402_5a0713ac4f_o.jpg

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2