Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

A surprising win on eBay - only six bids and left my bid until the last ten seconds - and I won - £92.00 plus free P&P. described as "As new - never run" - box still had factory tissue around it. Average price of others on eBay £167.00.

53319839402_5a0713ac4f_o.jpg

I think the accurascale announcement has knocked a few quid of certain Bachmann 66s, I got the NRM version of 66779 DCC fitted for £120 a few months back off ebay, I sold my normal release version on there and it went for £110 iirc

there’s a Bachmann ‘Biffa’ up at the moment for £110, cheapest I’ve seen one of them so far 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Took the plunge on an Atlas Alco S2 (or possibly S4, the number was for an S4, the long hood details suggested S2!) switcher in HO the other evening.  Described as a non runner which is unusual for the type as Atlas's HO scale S1 to S4 switchers are normally extremely reliable and pretty much bomb proof.

Arrived a couple of days later, powered on, nothing, dead and then a worrying puff of smoke appeared from under the long hood...

Quickly whipped the body off  before anything melted and discovered a badly bodged DCC chip installation (now somewhat melted) which I stripped out, reattached the power feed wires and in less than ten minutes its running again.

Now just have to decide what colour to repaint it....

• Like 2

On 05/11/2023 at 01:01, big jim said:

and this unusual Hornby wagon for £8, can’t say I’ve seen this one before but it certainly stands out!

IMG_3319.jpeg

Here is the prototype at Lostwithiel. As you can see, the Hornby model is just a reliveried oil tanker so is not particularly accurate but it looks quite smart.

p816743923-3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

Here is the prototype at Lostwithiel. As you can see, the Hornby model is just a reliveried oil tanker so is not particularly accurate but it looks quite smart.

p816743923-3.jpg

This was the smaller of the two 4-wheel types, there was a bigger version, more like the TTA, but I found out only recently (article in 'Traction' I think) that there were only five of these. I managed to get photos of all three versions in 1984 (the other being a 6-wheel small-barrel design) at the time, also newly-named 37229 'Cardiff Rod Mill' heading a rake past Swindon, but they're in a stack of photos I haven't sorted and scanned yet........

• Informative/Useful 2

Good afternoon folks,

A recent good buy from eBay made just this weekend.

Five 1/72 scale model aircraft kits, all complete and unstarted.

All products of the Hawker aircraft company, namely Hurricane, Typhoon, Tempest (2-off) and Sea Fury.

A mix of new tools and older mouldings, from Revell/Airfix/Matchbox/PM.

With postage costs included they work out at £4.70 each.

I know not everyone here travels on the 'dark side' of plastic kits, but there are still bargains for those that do :)

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, rka said:

A gem g2 plus comet models chassis kit for £36, a gem fowler 2 6 4 tank with etched chassis, wheels and motor £50 and a kemilway br standard class 3 tank £40.

Pretty pleased with that. 

That sounds like an absolute bargain. Have you done the lottery yet 😁

• Agree 2

My last buy before Christmas arrived yesterday, a Hornby Dublo 8f, a Kit built GWR railcar, a Hornby class 47 and a Triang DMU for the grand total of  42 pounds including postage. The motors work on all of them so for 10.50 a pop i'm quite happy with that.

• Like 4

On 13/11/2023 at 21:49, Karhedron said:

Interesting, I was only aware of the 4-wheeled TRVs and 6-wheeled TMVs. If you can let me know where to found out about the 3rd version, I would be very interested.

Hello @Karhedron, apologies for the late response, I've only just found your request. I've dug out the issue of 'Traction' with David Ratcliffe's article on milk tank wagons, it's Issue 273 dated Jan/Feb 2023, pages 16/17. Also taken photos of my photos (quicker smartphone solution than setting up the negative scanner......one day I'll do them properly!) - it would have worked better if both the photos and today had been brighter but I've done my best with them.....photos taken at Swindon in summer 1984 except the big 'un a year later.

According to Mr Ratcliffe these 71 'new' milk tanks were retained as a 'strategic reserve' (oooh, let's not go there 😉!) in case road deliveries failed for some reason, and comprised the following:

20231126_154943.jpg.8190dc356db7a8c12e65b2107d7cc596.jpg

MMB42800-39 (TMV) - refurbished 6-axle wagons already fitted with roller bearings and stainless steel-lined tanks.

20231126_155103.jpg.2e16795b12048bcbaba20526e72bd4e9.jpg

MMB42840-65 (TRV) - stainless steel-lined tanks recovered from old 6-wheelers mounted on 4-wheel 15' chassis from former Esso and Texaco 35t tank wagons.

Note what's just visible on the right (and the height difference!) So why didn't I photograph this one at the same time as the other two? No idea, but a year later I'd plugged the gap.....

20231126_155127.jpg.87020263042d0a27c1b0f4f52d9261f6.jpg

MMB42866-70 (TTF) - former Texaco tanks with new internal linings (well.......yeah, would help to avoid yer tea, coffee or breakfast cereal tasting a bit oily!), fillers and discharge outlets. Reclad externally, as were the other two types. I note that the chrome-plated Hornby model is marked 'TRV' as one of the smaller 4-wheel tanks whereas the TTF is clearly closer. But they probably weren't aware of it.

These five really do seem to have been ignored (even by me the year before!), photos of the two smaller types appear in the Traction article and on Paul Bartlett's website, but this one is absent. One has to wonder why they went to the trouble of converting just five former oil tank barrels to carry milk, but it may have been simply because a need for 71 milk tanks had been identified but only 66 stainless steel-lined barrels could be located. Even so, in retrospect the effort expended on these TTF conversions doesn't seem to have been worthwhile considering their short lives and limited use.

Which reminds me, here's a recently-named (5/84) 37229 'The Cardiff Rod Mill' heading a rake of these milk tanks through Swindon on 6/9/84, passing 31287 on a west-bound parcels service - looking down the train I think one of the towering TTFs has just come into view:

20231126_155206.jpg.815124a0c627258e5998c36c29386ef3.jpg

Presumably as part of the naming ceremony 37229 carries its BR logos at the wrong end (it wasn't unique, at least 37230/55 were the same - but they weren't named which would make these more accidental than deliberate!)

I hope the wait was worth it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A very quick click a moment ago, been after a Heljan bo-co for a while but they usually go for upwards of £200 but this came up as a buy it now or best offer, I wasn’t going to bother with an offer as i thought it might go, bagged it for £120! 

IMG_3719.jpeg.098ce6f343cc6f0c5d5ff64108a55119.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Another quick click before someone else jumped in, rake of 4 Oxford rail MK3s in scotrail livery, the description says the bogies and couplings have been replaced by Hornby items as the Oxford couplings are poor 

IMG_3740.jpeg

an absolute steal at £55 for the 4! 

I’ll add up to date ohle flashes and cant rail stripes and run them with my LSL locos, you never know I might find a Bachmann scotrail DBSO one day (stranger things have happened!) 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The class 28 has arrived, fantastic condition, a lovely model the senders address is Howes models which surprised me as the user name didn’t give any clue to that at all!

who deals with Heljan spares now as it needs headcode discs? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Plrnty of aftermarket ones (usually better anyay) online. Try Wizard for starters?

thanks, I just assumed they would be a different shape with the backing plate being a diamond shaped, I think I’ve got some in my Heljan class 23 box 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

The class 28 has arrived, fantastic condition, a lovely model the senders address is Howes models which surprised me as the user name didn’t give any clue to that at all!

who deals with Heljan spares now as it needs headcode discs? 

Howes Models are the spares people for Heljan IIRC

• Like 1

Not eBay per se but one of those house clearance outlets with random items over in Hull. Over forty proper Humbrol tinlets before they got spoiled by safety regulations  in useful subdued hues all unopened. Make the sloshy sound of nice undried contents when shaken. Given where I bought them probably an old employee’s secret take home! 

A tenner

IMG_2889.jpeg

IMG_2890.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 4

As I like to have models of obscure prototypes, I was very pleased to pick this one up the other day for just over £30 posted..

GWR outside frame 0-6-2 pannier tank loco.

(Crane is behind it, it's not a crane loco!).

IMG_2017.jpeg

Seems the prototype was a rebuild of an old saddle tank loco, and only one was ever built in this form.

As it's an old build (Tri-ang wheels and XO4 motor) it is a bit crude compared to modern standards but, of course, runs beautifully.

gl_221028_5_136.jpg

More on the prototype here:

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/531/going-loco-october-2022

Edited by Tofufi
  • Like 2