Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

really pleased about this today, spotted it badly listed as a Heljan CL27 a few days back but of course looking at the pics it’s apparent it isn’t! 

it was starting at £85 and didn’t have a bid until about 5 hours before the end of the auction, I snuck in a bid of £116.76 (i always pick a strange figure incase someone else bids £116!) 

glad I did as I forgot it was ending and my phone was on silent so I didn’t hear the notification telling it there was 5 mins left, need any have worried as I got it for £101, eBay also sent me a £10 voucher earlier too so I got it for £91!

IMG_4092.jpeg.bccb491edb13263383a04efafaaf822e.jpeg

IMG_4093.jpeg.661b459369e262dfd8950e156321d64d.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully another good buy, the perks of working nights!

Hornby class 50 motor, PCB and DCC chip for £15

IMG_4122.jpeg.1d4f541ea338f8d1fc62b396fd5469b4.jpeg

the reason I bought it, a couple of months back I got a GBRf livery 50007 that had the driveshafts removed to make it a free running model, the motor and bogie towers/gears are still in situ so it just needs the shafts, I’d priced them up from Hornby and they are only available as part of the complete bogie unit at about £25 each so I was going to keep it a free runner but now I can get it back up and running and I’ve got a DCC chip to boot! 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 4

Whilst in recent months my modelling focus has been in the realm of 3D printing, but I always look to improve my collection by either replacing an item with a better one or getting better quality spares.

My last purchase (other than track for a festive cameo layout) was back in mid August for a built Meteor kit for an ) gauge Sentinel loco, I have noticed that there are fewer items that interest me listed, resulting in prices higher than I think they are worth. On the other hand on more common items prices seemed to have dropped

I have also noticed on items I am selling its taking longer to reach the prices I am willing to accept and few are going well over my initial listing price. But I am happy to wait for what I perceive is a fair price. In one instance I decided to break up a kit into 4 lots, keeping the Romford wheels I sold the other 3 lots easily for what I was asking for the complete previous listing  I got the minimum I wanted plus kept what I saw as the best items (the Romford drivers) resulting in a much better return than my original complete listing

Perhaps over the last 6 months some have held back on their spending on financial grounds and others stopped listing until better times return

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One thing putting me off eBay nowadays is the vast difference in postage charges, I have recently noticed various sellers charging from less than £2 to above £10 for a single wagon, and there seem to be less wagon/coach "bundles" on offer which mitigates the postage cost a tad.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Just had a trawl through ebay for N scale stuff for the first time in a few months, no bargains anymore, excessive RRP+ pricing, hefty postal charges and lots of keyword spamming.  I think I will contend myself with my existing fleet this year.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There is very little on there at the moment, probably half of what was on there compared to when I stopped buying a month ago and the prices reflect that. I did very well in December selling because people were going mental buying anything. Hopefully will get back to normal for buyers once people have spent their Christmas money and ebay start giving out selling fees discounts again so supply catches up with demand.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

One thing putting me off eBay nowadays is the vast difference in postage charges, I have recently noticed various sellers charging from less than £2 to above £10 for a single wagon, and there seem to be less wagon/coach "bundles" on offer which mitigates the postage cost a tad.

Mike.

Mike

When I first started selling on eBay I could not believe how cheap postage was. After several revamps the cost of postage has soared. Having said this the cost of postage is the same for all mail order services, perhaps with the exception of Amazon sales who have their own delivery service and perhaps the margins in the sale price pays for it

However when I buy from eBay as I do with any other mail order services I take the P&P into consideration, with eBay I work out what the item is worth then deduct postage to work out my maximum bid

Yesterday for instance I brought a £4.99 item for my son in law, I found one on Amazon not only cheaper than other retailers and mail order sites but with free delivery (I have Prime), I simply check the prices at retail shops and mail order sites, and buy the cheapest way

With eBay I normally do not buy new items (I prefer to support the model retail trade). The items I do buy are usually second hand and mostly unavailable new, therefore P&P is unavoidable and in most cases without eBay the chances of buying them is minimal.

In short if an item fits into what I believe its worth I don't mind P&P as its taken into the calculation

• Agree 5

Just stumbled upon this thread having been a regular contributor to the eBay Madness thread just next door…

I have to report this one, as I am still grinning from ear to ear about it …

Have been trying to get hold of a Triang four wheel “Swedish” starter coach for some time after seeing an “upgraded” version on a FaceBook micro layouts group, and had seen single examples sell for crazy sums (I think upwards of £50) so a listing by the infamous Gostude for four of them for £99 almost seemed a bargain …

Then in early December I was looking through a seller’s other items (as I always do whenever I watch something of interest, in case they have other items I might combine postage with) and stumbled upon “Continental Style 00 g.u.a.g.e Short Coaches” [sic]* with a starting bid of £2.99 and one bid only.

IMG_4827.jpeg.87c381b92305ae779b8f027dca38f35e.jpeg

One of them has damage to one corner (also has a damaged buffer - that was not at all clear from the photos) but I couldn’t believe my luck. Set an alarm for four minutes before the end of the auction expecting the price to have rocketed and was amazed to find them still at £2.99 and one bid.

I was prepared to pay up to £16.20 each, and so put a bid in five seconds before the auction ended for £32.40+£3.75 p&p

I won … for £3.20 … a tenth of what I was prepared to pay! Result!!

At £1.60 each** that definitely fits the “good buy from eBay” title of this thread!

Good luck to everyone finding more good eBay buys in 2024

Steve S

* RMWeb’s autocorrect has changed the seller’s incorrect spelling of “gauge” despite my efforts to stop it doing so - last attempt is by using redundant full stops 😡

** I never factor in postage - it is what it is!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Autocorrect incorrectly correcting a deliberately incorrectly spelt word
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
On 30/12/2023 at 03:51, big jim said:

Hopefully another good buy, the perks of working nights!

Hornby class 50 motor, PCB and DCC chip for £15

IMG_4122.jpeg.1d4f541ea338f8d1fc62b396fd5469b4.jpeg

the reason I bought it, a couple of months back I got a GBRf livery 50007 that had the driveshafts removed to make it a free running model, the motor and bogie towers/gears are still in situ so it just needs the shafts, I’d priced them up from Hornby and they are only available as part of the complete bogie unit at about £25 each so I was going to keep it a free runner but now I can get it back up and running and I’ve got a DCC chip to boot! 

my thinking behind this purchase was good but in reality it’s not worked, the drive shafts have gone in perfectly, a 5 minute job but afterwards the wheels of the loco were still turning freely so I popped the bottom of the bogie plate off to discover that the gearing between the tower and wheels has also been partly removed so short of getting some new bogies or if I could get the gears it’s a lot fiddling about getting it to run so I’m going to leave it as it is 

all isn’t lost though, the chip looks to be a decent one, will have to stick it on my tester to get a manufacturer ID

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, big jim said:

my thinking behind this purchase was good but in reality it’s not worked, the drive shafts have gone in perfectly, a 5 minute job but afterwards the wheels of the loco were still turning freely so I popped the bottom of the bogie plate off to discover that the gearing between the tower and wheels has also been partly removed so short of getting some new bogies or if I could get the gears it’s a lot fiddling about getting it to run so I’m going to leave it as it is

£16.99 from Hornby: https://uk.Hornby.com/products/class-50-complete-drive-unit-x9232

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That’s not too bad a price, thing is by the time I’ve added £32 for those and the £15 I’ve already spent for the drive shafts it suddenly doesn’t make the £100 I paid for the loco so much of a bargain! 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Saying that I’ve just looked and I can get the gears (X9239) for £10 from eBay but also lendams of Cardiff appear to have some listed for £2.06, but I can’t tell if they are actually in stock as the website is so bad! 

in other news the EM2 has arrived and it’s a stunner, the pics don’t do it justice!

also another good buy an ‘illuminated models’ voyager lighting kit arrived today for £20, that’s the next job! 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, big jim said:

website

Tell them about the website, you know, customer feed-back may be appreciated and could lead to a discount! Don't ask, don't get......

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Another new year bargain, DCC fitted LNWR precedent, NRM Ltd Ed for £155

IMG_4180.jpeg.d18cc36f4d53f84f250aa62072273c44.jpeg

Might actually have got to a point now where I’ll have to sell some existing stock to make space (although I did buy 2 bargain picture pride display cases from rails of Sheffield rummage sale last week!) 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hardwicke has arrived and it’s a beauty, DCC chipped, reprogrammed and running beautifully, really pleased with it 

as for this evenings good buy, I’m not going to say it’s a bargain as I’ve paid pretty much RRP for them but I got a pair of Oxford warwell wagons, modern air braked version with Gloucester GRP bogies for £34 each, these very rarely come up on eBay, certainly the first ones I’ve seen on there in over 12 months) and I’ve never seen a 2nd hand one (or even old stock) in a shop or on a trade stand at an exhibition so I grabbed them

IMG_4209.jpeg.8208fdff1885897cad12a4ac041dd099.jpeg

i already have one and I know the colour is a bit too light but I’m probably going to weather them all down a bit at some point, I’ve got 3 of the rerelease hattons warwells on order too so they should make a nice little train up once they all arrive, I’ve got the vehicles already made to go on them too (foxhounds) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my Locos are Hornby or Lima but I'm quite taken with this mainline item. I know little about them. Are they easy to service and clean? I'm guessing spares are pretty much no-go nowadays. I like the idea of collecting a mainline loco or two as my mother worked for Palitoy. Sadly I got Action Man for Christmas, not Mainline!

This is only about five miles from where I live so hopefully would be able to collect

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204624380742

Edited to add, here is another I like the look of but it seems expensive to me, especially considering the condition. Are Airfix good? This is not so local

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315090814476

Edited by PMW
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, PMW said:

Most of my Locos are Hornby or Lima but I'm quite taken with this mainline item. I know little about them. Are they easy to service and clean? I'm guessing spares are pretty much no-go nowadays. I like the idea of collecting a mainline loco or two as my mother worked for Palitoy. Sadly I got Action Man for Christmas, not Mainline!

This is only about five miles from where I live so hopefully would be able to collect

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204624380742

Edited to add, here is another I like the look of but it seems expensive to me, especially considering the condition. Are Airfix good? This is not so local

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315090814476

The Mainline ones are nice models, and were later adapted/sold by Bachmann. Mainline ones were designed with split axles, so you have two wheels separated by a plastic bush in the middle of the axle - these are prone to failing, although new parts are available to fix them.

The Airfix ones are all tender drive, and that one is (in my view) optimistically priced. A mint boxed one would sell for rather less (I'd say half that price!)...

Edit: either are roughly as user-servicable as most other models from the same period. 🙂

Edited by Tofufi
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

My last model railway purchase was back in last August (with the exception of buying some track for a Christmas tree festival), I think both a lack suitably priced items and modeling focus in other areas (3D printing).

Well I brought the wife a pair of binoculars for watching birds from a hide at a local wetland wild life area (we only have a small lightweight pair which is not much good at long distances for bird watching, but also a kit built Wills SR G6 kit built loco

I collect whitemetal kit built locos and I am migrating to EM gauge, so I am looking for built kits to replace kits or better than built kits I have or parts to build or convert kits or kit built locos to both EM gauge and etched chassis/ parts to complete etched chassis

I saw this Wills SR G6 built to EM gauge, the paint work is poor, also states motor works but chassis shorts, but it has an etched chassis with brake gear (make unknown) and  Mashima open frame motor (I am guessing a DS10?), also a set of Markit Wheels. Given the SEF chassis cost £50, Markit wheels £45 and DS10 £15

My winning bid secured it for £45 inc postage, I have two of these kits, both Wills, one an unbuilt body, the other a slightly damaged body with a HD R1 chassis. The price will be reduced when I decide what to sell, even if I get £10 for a poorly built body it still only cost me £35 (or less) for a ready built chassis which would have cost £95 to buy excluding the motor and gears, which may or may not have much value 

• Like 2

The two items arrived and both were as described, the binoculars look unused. The loco is better than expected. The paint work needs repainting to the  era I model, but I need to alter both chassis fixings. The rear fixing is a slot in the bunker bottom, the front is a screw through the footplate between the smokebox and buffers. But temporarily its OK as its to EM gauge. Also it would benefit from a new set of steps.

As for the chassis itself, it does not pickup from the wheels as neither wiper touches a wheel, the motor is a DS10 and runs fine, the chassis is a Southeastern Finecast etched FS201, the gears are Romfords in a SEF motor mount the wheels are newer Markits, plus a pair of Gibson 4'8" EM gauge drivers

Excluding the Gibson wheels If I brought the chassis, wheels motor and gears from SEF they would cost £124 and the body another £45. Its defiantly worth looking out for these little gems. In the short term I just need to clean up the chassis and bend the pickups

I can now sell an old one with a HD R1 chassis someone else can restore and may get at least half of what I paid for this one

• Like 3

I am eagerly awaiting my latest punt to arrive. I brought a mixed lot of loco kits where the parts seemed to be mixed up a bit like buying several jigsaws all mixed together.

I must admit I actually enjoy sorting these type of lots out as much as either building a kit or forming a saleable lot.

Time will tell whether I have brought an expensive pile of scrap, or unearthed a couple of gems, but that for me is all part of the enjoyment is.

As for the Wills SR G6, I have listed a Wills G6 with a Hornby Dublo R1 chassis on Sunday, certainly my new 1 in one out rule. But I must reduce the size of my collection so I am planning to sell on 60 locos this year, so I must be a bit more proactive in deciding what I don't want to keep. On the other hand I am still very much wanting to improve the collection I want to keep. Lets hope I can release a few good buys for others, whilst at the same time enjoy the hobby 

• Like 2