The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Time travel is possible

Mike J

I don't know if this has already been done, so apologies if it has.

If you could safely travel back in time, not effect anything, and travel safely to the present, what event would you like to witness?

It can be anything at all, doesn't have to be railway related, and you can choose as many as you want.

Here's my choices to start you off;-

Railways...Mallard 3rd July 1938, on the footplate.

Others...Trafalgar 21st October 1805, deck of HMS Victory.

Battle of the Denmark straight 24th May 1941, HMS Prince of Wales.

Ali vs Foreman. 20th May stadium Kinshasa, Zaire, 30th October 1974.

England vs West Germany, Wembley stadium, 30th July 1966.

If I thought about it, there would be many more, but I'll leave it there for now.

Over to you!

• RMweb Gold

Various large railway stations around 1909-10 - Paddington, Pontypridd, York, and Carlisle for starters.

Trafalgar would be interesting as would Tsushima watching the Japanese dealing with the Russians but I'm not sure if I would go for the deck chair on the upper deck.

Summit of Everest at the right time (saves checking the date) to see if Mallory and irving made it or not.

And while I wasn't at the World Cup final in 1966 I listened to some of it live on the radio but didn't hear all of it as I was the one who volunteered to spend most of the afternoon in Machynlleth goods yard - which was next to the shed of course ;)

My mum and dad meeting.

Myself being born.

I wouldn't want to witness any battles, too gruesome.

I'd like to go back to each century in turn, hang around a bit and listen to how people spoke, not necessarily the poshos but ordinary chaps and chapesses.

Railways: Latin America in the heyday of steam, see Stephenson erect the Menai Bridge, Webb's compounds at work.

Other: Something incredible like watching water from the Mediterranean break into the Black Sea for the first time, breaching the Dardanelles, Be on the moon to greet the first landing. Visit Archimedes and see all his wonderful machines. See the Aztec and Mayan empires with their amazing cities at their peak.

• RMweb Premium

A Vulcan on full scramble takeoff.

Apollo 11 launch.

Chesil Beach, when the bouncing bomb worked for the first time.

Any Queen concert - sadly one of the bands I didn't get to see.

Nigel Mansell winning at Silverstone.

Cheers,

Mick

I went back in time and told myself not to get into pointless threads about time travel, did I listen?

And next time I will go back and give myself some advice on dealing with the ladies whilst ensuring it doesn't curtail meeting the wife.

Oops, sorry Mods inadvertent swear.

I would quite like to go and see the final phases of Stonehenge or Avebury under construction, and then see how they actually used these things. I know the archaeologists are wrong, but until I can get pictures of up to twenty-two 5 a side teams simultaneously playing 'kick the inflated bladder' on these interesting roughly circular multi-goal pitches, my hypothesis that it was a very quick way of generating the football pools results whenever severe weather disrupted matches is never going to be generally accepted.

I would quite like to go and see the final phases of Stonehenge or Avebury under construction, and then see how they actually used these things. I know the archaeologists are wrong, but until I can get pictures of up to twenty-two 5 a side teams simultaneously playing 'kick the inflated bladder' on these interesting roughly circular multi-goal pitches, my hypothesis that it was a very quick way of generating the football pools results whenever severe weather disrupted matches is never going to be generally accepted.

Nah, it was a raised track "miniature" railway for giants!

Guest Max Stafford

Best one yet Larry! I'd want to go back and spend a few hours cracking with my old man.

Dave.

I want to go forwards to find out what this week's lottery numbers are going to be.

Does anyone remember the TV film "The Flip Side of Dominick Hyde" from the 80s? It featured Susan Penhaligon and Colin Firth and was about a time traveller who went back in time and told the woman he'd befriended to bet on certain pools numbers he knew were going to come up. She did and she won, but in the sequel it turned out she hadn't won much because there had been several winners that week. D'oh!

• RMweb Gold

Taking my digital camera and video back to the South Western lines in Devon and Cornwall in 1962.

Also taking my cameras going back to earlly 1930's to travel on the line from Barnstaple to Lynton.

Same for the Union Pacific lines where the Challengers and Big Boys ran in the early 1950's plus the DRGW narrow gauge lines.

• RMweb Premium

I think I would like to have a look at Ancient Rome and Greece, and perhaps China and Japan between then and the Early Modern era.

Also - 1989/1990 in Berlin when the Wall, and soon after the GDR, came down; the U.S. or Canada in the 1950s; I'd love to follow the Apollo 11 mission; and railway-wise, I'd love to attend some trial runs of then-cutting edge motive power such as the DRG E 18, or indeed the 103.

Finally, I'd much like to spend a few days in the homes of my Mum and Dad when they had been kids, just to see how they grew up.

Rides on the APT, Blue Pullman, CRE etc.

I would go back and see some of the famous celestial phenomena of history. The Leonid meteor storm in 1833, some of the great comets, aurora displays. And an eclipse. I made it to Cornwall in 1999 and saw a rainy sky go dark for a while. :(

My first priority would be to go back to the day on which my mother threw out my spotting notes from the early 1960s and shout NO, and make sure they remained safely in my possession.

Similarly to my grandmother who did exactly the same with my father's 1930s spotting notes from the ECML and M&GN.

Then I would want to walk down a rural country lane in the summer sometime in the 1930s and marvel at the amounts of wildlife that there was less than a century ago, and realise just what our profit-led supermarket dominated life style has lost.

• RMweb Premium

Quite a few things, speed chcecking kit for City of Truro.

Take my HD video camera and lots of tapes & batteries back in time to video a lot of early railways

• RMweb Premium

Would love to go back and...

Meet Isambard Kingdom Brunel,

Watch the 1966 World Cup Final live in Wembley Stadium (having had my memory erased as to the result first!)

Take a huge number of high-def video cameras and wire up the whole of down town Dallas so that not only can I make a fortune selling the footage, we can finally stop arguing about who actually shot JFK (assuming he doesn't take my advice when I shout 'duck' at the cruicial moment of course!)

Go back in time to see myself in about 2001 or 2002 and fill me in on what I should have done the first time around and then tell myself to bloody well get on with it!!

Would also like to have been a member of the train crew trained on Leader when it ran its tests out of Brighton, maybe this time it will have fared better!

Archived