chaz

St Albans is the closest we have been with the layout to London - see you there?

Chaz

Typical - this weekend we're visiting my daughter & family in Hampshire, & you're off with DG to Hertfordshire! One day the planets will align & I'll be somwhere in the vicinity of an exhibition starring Dock Green! Well, hopefully...!!

Keith

Typical - this weekend we're visiting my daughter & family in Hampshire, & you're off with DG to Hertfordshire! One day the planets will align & I'll be somwhere in the vicinity of an exhibition starring Dock Green! Well, hopefully...!!

Keith

We have got a few more shows coming up this year and I will post a list shortly. As you say the planets may align but I'm not so sure about stars...

Edited by chaz

Good luck with the show, it was great to meet you and see the layout at Taunton last year. It is one of the reasons I like RMweb I can get to see lots of great layouts that I would never normally do.

The wagon builds have been very informative, I like to see how others attack kits.

Chaz

unlikely I'm afraid. 

It's two hours each way from east Kent (and more if you're affected by the line closure between Folkestone and Dover, which happily we are not) and the bathroom remains, like Damocle's sword, hanging over me...  I shall spend much of tomorrow cutting tiles and gluing them to the wall.  And not being quite satisfied with my handiwork :(

Have a great time!

One day...

Simon

Good luck with the show, it was great to meet you and see the layout at Taunton last year. It is one of the reasons I like RMweb I can get to see lots of great layouts that I would never normally do.

The wagon builds have been very informative, I like to see how others attack kits.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Look out for more wagon attacks shortly as the JLTRT vans are next on the bench.

I hope to get more snaps at the St Albans show, and there may even be time for some video. I did think about taking my Nikon DSLR which shoots fantastic quality video but the need to take the big tripod rather scuppered that.

Chaz

Hello Chaz

Looking forward to seeing Dock Green at St Albans. I'm helping with the hall set-up so just shout if you need any assistance.

Rgds Andrew

Thanks for the offer. There will be four of us, which is plenty, any more and we just get in each other's way - I speak from experience!

The Tube wagon, now with couplings and a bit of grime and so fit to join the roster for this weekend's show at St Albans.

P1050843-2%20600%20x%20382_zpsjid1td1j.j

No load yet, so for the moment it will run empty.

P1050845-2%20600%20x%20412_zps5n7hugvz.j

I did start weathering this with powders but soon changed back to dry-brushed enamels, which I find more controllable.

P1050844-2%20600%20x%20416_zpsjtjdv2pz.j

The last close-up is a bit unkind - showing up my "chains" to be nothing more than twisted wire - from any normal distance they look acceptable (IMHO).

P1050846-2%20600%20x%20395_zpsr4wj9og4.j

Hi Chaz,

I find that squashing the wire with flat bladed pliers once twisted, opens up the links a bit making them look even more like chain. I have had such success with this that I have stopped fiddling about with the fine chain which I have in stock.

Hi Chaz,

I find that squashing the wire with flat bladed pliers once twisted, opens up the links a bit making them look even more like chain. I have had such success with this that I have stopped fiddling about with the fine chain which I have in stock.

A useful idea Rob, but too late for the Tube I regret. Could you post a photo' of the effect please - I'd like to see how it compares.

Chaz

We are getting pretty good at loading the van, it took two of us just thirty minutes to get most of the stuff loaded with Roy and Chris arriving to help just as we were loading the last of the heavy bits (strange that - I must ask how they achieved such brilliant timing) so we were able to leave Eastleigh at about 15:45. The anticipated traffic levels on the M25 proved to be not as bad as we had feared and we were at the venue at almost exactly the planned18:00. Having put the layout up Pete and I went to find the Ardmore House Hotel - superb navigation (forget Satnavs - just give Chaz a map) - and our excellent single rooms. Asking the receptionist for directions to a good Italian eating place she pointed through a door. And so it proved - definitely Yum! and no need for a long walk and a frantic search. Roy and Chris went off to stay with a local friend and so missed out.

I woke up rather too early (as I often do in hotels) so we are breakfasting at 7:30 and then back to the Arena for some test running, some photos and some video.

The room the layout is in is nicely gloomy - I say "nicely" because it gives the layout lighting the chance to do its stuff. The worst place to be in my experience is in front of big windows with winter sun pouring in. We have big square pillars at either end of the layout - in fact the extension board (the non-scenic cassette handling board AX) is behind one of these pillars - makes me glad I didn't bother to put any info' on the privacy screen.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

Hi Chaz,

This is the best shot that I have to hand.

attachicon.gifParkside LNER 12 ton Pipe Wagon ready for painting2 - Copy.jpg

Thanks Rob - I can see what you mean. The slightly open links certainly do help to make the "chains" more convincing.

I suspect your Pipe wagon is the shorter version of my Tube. The centre section you have pictured is certainly identical to that on my wagon. I can't remember the WB of the Pipe (my copy of Tatlow is eighty odd miles away!) but the Tube has a WB of 19' 6" - it's a biggy!

Chaz

Thanks Rob - I can see what you mean. The slightly open links certainly do help to make the "chains" more convincing.

I suspect your Pipe wagon is the shorter version of my Tube. The centre section you have pictured is certainly identical to that on my wagon. I can't remember the WB of the Pipe (my copy of Tatlow is eighty odd miles away!) but the Tube has a WB of 19' 6" - it's a biggy!

Chaz

Hi Chaz,

It is,  this is a backdating of the Parkside BR pipe to an LNER version,  I do have one of Jim's Tube wagon's in stock and I had noted that as you say it's a "biggy"

Although not 100% accurate the extra bit's that Parkside supplied with the kit allowed me to do a reasonable job.

Today went very well with most of the (small) drama provided by some of the mineral wagons in the coal train which suddenly seem to get the prima-donna touch and derailing when being propelled. They obviously don't like being pushed around!

I shot some video which I don't have time tonight to do more than download and a few still shots featuring the Lowmac with crate and the Tube.

P1050850-2%20600%20x%20447_zpsd6auaqnm.j

P1050849-2%20600%20x%20450_zpsoskyp67p.j

P1050854-2%20600%20x%20450_zps8hqn3cab.j

P1050855_2%20600%20x%20450_zpsjrmgbeen.j

The photographer must be one of that small band prepared to photograph some of the more interesting wagons.

P1050856-2%20600%20x%20427_zpsocgppnka.j

There may be a chance to take some more snaps tomorrow, possibly going for some of the viewpoints i have pictured less often.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 12

Back from St Albans with no real problems although the M25 did it's best to delay us with several congested stretches which forced us to a stop. I'm having a relaxing morning dossing about and reflecting on a most enjoyable show. Despite the trickiness of some aspects of the venue it was very well organised, the stewarding team was friendly and helpful and the roast Sunday lunch was exceptionally good (Yum!). I am told that next year's show will be in Stevenage - they are moving to a new venue which will have easier parking, loading and unloading and the whole exhibition will be on one level.

The whole team enjoyed our weekend, we had a new "guest" operator join us on Saturday who, I hope, will be become a regular on Dock Green's outings. I spoke to a few RMwebbers - it was good to meet some of you and have a chat. Should any of you have taken any photos I would be happy to see you post them here - a few more of my snaps will follow shortly.

Chaz

• Like 1

For a while I have been meaning to add some poster-boards to Dock Green. There wouldn't be any facing into the yard as there would be no public access but the road bridges might well have them. Trackside Signs had a stand at the St Albans show - as soon as I saw their poster for "The Ladykillers" I couldn't resist it - so right for Dock Green, the film action taking place in the area in which my layout is supposedly situated. I was also much taken with the "Guiness is good for you" - money changed hands.

P1050862-2%20600%20x%20449_zpslbhrb7sa.j

The posters add a splash of bright, cheerful colours to the sooty grime of the scene.

P1050860-2%20600%20x%20464_zpspxzjonfo.j

Nothing shouts London better than an RT bus and the posters are the perfect backdrop.

P1050875-2%20600%20x%20455_zpsk9fkwwn9.j

For the show the boards were temporarily attached to the bridge with Blutack (crude but effective) so they are not all perfectly upright. In due course I will make some braced timber supports and fix them properly. I think the fixings must allow them to be removed to be transported (probably drop-in sockets).

P1050859-2%20600%20x%20392_zpsyu3w1fho.j

The black background results from the room's matte black walls and low-level lighting. It gave the layout lighting the chance to work really well but it does have an odd effect on the snaps. I will Photoshop a grey sky in on one or two of them when I have time.

If you are interested in the posters have a look at www.tracksidesigns.co.uk

Chaz

• Like 12

You will recall that I mentioned that some of the mineral wagons were derailing when being propelled? on Sunday morning before the show opened I gave them a thorough test - propelling them through the pointwork, loaded and empty, slow and fast - not one derailment. Good? Not really, as I'm no closer to knowing why the gremlins struck on Saturday. I will add some weight to them before the next outing as some of them are a little light ( I have already checked the back-to-backs).

Chaz

That bus is a bit lost! By the way, thanks for the complements to the stewarding team.

Bill, chief barrier operative.

The bus? it certainly is! I think Trackside Signs may well be able to do me a complete set of stickers for it. I need to change the route number, the destination boards etc and also the advertising which is out of period - one mentioning decimal currency. I think it would be nice if the destination board read "Dock Green Station" rather than Orpington. I will approach Trackside Signs and see if they can do the job.

Thanks are due - the show was excellent!

Chaz

I'll think you'll find that the cause of your derailments is that there were people watching. It's well known that an audience can cause all sorts of mayhem to happen on a previously behaving layout...

Of course! That would explain why a private testing session was fine. Do you think some cardboard cutout people would fool the gremlins when testing.....?

Edited by chaz

Sometime this year I am expecting delivery of a RTR 9F - quite a beast! I have been looking around for a copy of "The Book of the 9Fs" for a while and was delighted to find one on the stand of a book seller at the show - as this title is getting very hard to find I grabbed it with both hands.

----------------------------------------------------------

It is getting rather harder to find new viewpoints from which to photograph Dock Green or new subjects (although I missed the chance to get more snaps of the B1 as we ran it on Sunday on a few turns). Here are a few more from the show...

A view from the single track railway bridge which crosses the yard, a bit reminiscent of that from the North London down on to the Kings Cross approach at Belle Isle.

P1050876-2%20600%20x%20468_zpsv7x3rszx.j

No glamorous Pacific in view though, only an English Electric type 1 departing with a trip freight for Ferme Park. In the foreground is the starter, a late surviving GNR somersault. Judging by the blurred image the diesel is accelerating away quickly!

A busy moment in the yard.

P1050866-2%20600%20x%20438_zps3fqt31sm.j

Standing just inside the starter is 68973, a J50/3, waiting for its next duty. This section of track between the signal and the crossover is a useful place for a train loco to stand whilst shunting is going on. On the left the estate's 0-4-0ST "Susan" has just brought some vans from the warehouse. Once it has shunted them to the transfer siding the yard pilot 68824, a GN 0-6-0ST,  will add them to the departing train.

Another view of the same scene.

P1050865-Edit-2%20600%20x%20463_zpszan4g

As is so often the case the digital camera renders the stock cleaner than the eye sees it - they do seem rather blind to weathering.

A few minutes later "Susan" has run round the vans and propelled them onto the transfer siding.

P1050870-2%20600%20x%20391_zpsc8ilqdtt.j

That ex-MR outside framed van is another late survivor. the numerous BR 12T standards like the plywood one just edging into the picture on the left replaced all the pre-grouping veterans very soon.

The last picture is nothing special, but having done some work on it, including switching it to monochrome, I thought I might as well include it.

P1050858-2%20600%20x%20311_zps7tqpwmqq.j

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 14

It is beginning to look as though that hour to assemble and paint a JLTRT van might work, but only if all the parts have been fettled first.

I have just got the axleboxes to a sliding fit in the W irons. The axleboxes in my kits needed little attention with hardly any flash. The easy way to get a sliding fit is to ease the inner faces of the W irons...

P1050878-2%20600%20x%20422_zpsbfgq6wya.j

I used a smooth four inch file - it's easier to get a flat edge with this than it would be with a needle file which being narrower might well leave notches, steps or uneveness. I found the bottom section of the W irons (marked with a red highlight) to need slightly more filing to get smooth movement.

P1050881-Edit-2%20600%20x%20560_zps7vfxx

If you file the same amount from the whole length once the bottom section is done you might find the top part rather too slack, so best to start at the bottom. Once the filing is done there may well be a slight burr on the edges. I use a needle file, held at 45 degrees, and draw it sideways along the edge three or four times with light pressure.

P1050879-2%20600%20x%20556_zpsmeaqjxrm.j

Last task in preparing the W irons is to clear the holes.

P1050880-2%20600%20x%20552_zpsehrc0rjj.j

I use a 0.9mm drill in a pin-chuck. Bearing in mind the fragility of small white-metal parts I do this in my hand with a finger against the part behind the hole. Take it gently and you will not drill your finger - you can feel the drill as it comes through.

It took me 19 minutes to do all this preparatory work to four of the W irons.

Chaz

• Like 2

Hi Chaz,

Thank you for posting this build in a step by step fashion.  It's always really helpful to see the way others tackle these kits, watching the techniques used to make the build successful.

I shall keep a closer eye on your thread now.

Cheers

Lee