chaz

• RMweb Premium

If you don't have corridor connections to worry about there should be no problem getting Dinghams to work. You could mount them in the slot in the buffer beam as you would a screw coupling. You could also mount them on the bogies but if you did this you would need a mounting that brought them to the correct height. My Thompson non-corridor coaches had Dinghams in the buffer beam slots and these worked fine through Peco points. There is enough sideways leeway in the couplings to cope with the reverse curve through a Peco crossover.

Chaz

That's good to know Chaz. If they can cope with a PECO reverse curve then what I have planned shouldn't be and issue (side to side). I think I'll investigate the option of the corridor connections having no bottom to accommodate the flip up bit. Between coaches in fixed sets I'm going for Kadees - they are prototypical for Southern coaches - just have to remember to also retract the buffers too.

Kadees work fine under corridors - my JLTRTs have them mounted under the floor through an enormous cut-out in the buffer beam, whereas my earlier Blacksmith coaches have them bogie mounted. Jury is out on which is better but I'm quite pleased with the first two of the JLTRTs. The others have the Kadees but I haven't built the corridor connectors yet. Next job...

post-20369-0-61727900-1453925115_thumb.jpeg

The springy corridor connectors keep the Kadees in tension, with the result that the train moves "all in one block" as you would expect of a passenger train. The buffers are close, but not touching, so buffer lock should not pose a problem. My rakes of Blacksmith coaches run fine through Peco crossovers, and my construction drawing suggests that these will too. They did so without the corridor connectors, so I'm confident.

The observant will note that the track is on the windowledge itself, pending the construction of new baseboards, following the demise of the GWR.

Haven't yet worked out why there is a height discrepancy. The higher one is wrong. Typical. It's much easier to add a few washers...

Best

Simon

Edit. Ye gods! The left hand coach needs some tidying up around the drop lights. The camera is cruel!

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

Kadees work fine under corridors - my JLTRTs have them mounted under the floor through an enormous cut-out in the buffer beam, whereas my earlier Blacksmith coaches have them bogie mounted. Jury is out on which is better but I'm quite pleased with the first two of the JLTRTs. The others have the Kadees but I haven't built the corridor connectors yet. Next job...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The springy corridor connectors keep the Kadees in tension, with the result that the train moves "all in one block" as you would expect of a passenger train. The buffers are close, but not touching, so buffer lock should not pose a problem. My rakes of Blacksmith coaches run fine through Peco crossovers, and my construction drawing suggests that these will too. They did so without the corridor connectors, so I'm confident.

The observant will note that the track is on the windowledge itself, pending the construction of new baseboards, following the demise of the GWR.

Haven't yet worked out why there is a height discrepancy. The higher one is wrong. Typical. It's much easier to add a few washers...

Best

Simon

Edit. Ye gods! The left hand coach needs some tidying up around the drop lights. The camera is cruel!

The coaches look good. I like Kadees Bill Bedford stye couplings for coaches as they are normally run in sets, but with screw at the ends. It looks like the right hand coachneeds the stilts removing abovethe bogie.

I decided to make a better job of mounting the Headcam in a wagon...

P1050940-2%20600%20x%20437_zpsx4spsmfo.j

...and here it is perched on my scratchbuilt Medfit...

P1050941-2%20600%20x%20458_zpseotetqhd.j

...now, if I were to put some sort of cover (crate, tarpaulin etc) over it I would be able to run it during a show. I am reluctant to run it in public view otherwise - despite the soubriquet "nuclear flask" that my operating team have given it. :no:

This short video was shot before the doors opened to the public at the St Albans show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mUsew2Zsi0

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 10

Neat job, Chaz.

For the family skiing expedition this year, I was persuaded to purchase a Go Pro, which was marvellous for doing the shots for MissD's GCE PE exam, but is perhaps a little clunky for our use. Nonetheless I did video a little action on the GWR before I dismantled it, and on my pal, John's garden line. Neither are of "broadcast quality", but to be fair, that's not the fault of the Go Pro.

I took the simple expedient of applying a lump of blu tak to a Loriot. The camera is easily located on top.

The Go Pro does not lend itself to the task, as it is a little large. It is also, by default, set to wide angle, which I believe can be changed, but I have not fully investigated. I did wonder about fitting up a specific wagon with a decoder, and servos to pan and tilt, but stopped at the wondering stage. Too many other, more relevant, more useful things to do!

I'm sure the tarpaulin idea would work well on your "flask"

Best

Simon

Simon,

I would suggest investigating the capabilities of the GoPro more than you have as it can produce some excellent videos on the railway as I have found out. The only downside is that it does show up al the imperfections on the layout in full HD.

Are you by any chance using it in its housing? That would certainly make it rather large but once removed and if it does not have any add ons such as extra battery then it is quite small. You can change the filed of vision easily as well.

Another good point is the ability to use a phone or tablet to see what the GoPro is seeing before you set off so allowing careful positioning.

Sorry to hi jack the thread but thought a few comments on the GoPro would be useful.

Recent example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY7M00Sgtec

Simon,

I would suggest investigating the capabilities of the GoPro more than you have as it can produce some excellent videos on the railway as I have found out. The only downside is that it does show up al the imperfections on the layout in full HD.

Are you by any chance using it in its housing? That would certainly make it rather large but once removed and if it does not have any add ons such as extra battery then it is quite small. You can change the filed of vision easily as well.

Another good point is the ability to use a phone or tablet to see what the GoPro is seeing before you set off so allowing careful positioning.

Sorry to hi jack the thread but thought a few comments on the GoPro would be useful.

Recent example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY7M00Sgtec

I find there is too much  lens distortion with the GoPro. It seems to me to be 120 year step back.

Fantastic video, If we ignore the background almost like the real thing.

Only thing and I'll admit this to be a personal pet peeve! The trucks on the loading dock seem very shiny compared to the rest of the properly lived in and used environment.

Leigh

Thanks Leigh. The main problem with shooting video of Dock Green is that there is not that much scope for variety.

"The trucks on the loading dock seem very shiny compared to the rest of the properly lived in and used environment."   Well, yes....and you are not the first person to comment on this. BUT I have seen photographs of trucks (lorries?) which were obviously looked after really well. It was not unusual for a one man band owner/driver (on a C licence?) to lavish almost as much care on his truck as he might have done on his car. it was, after all, the chief asset of his business. Even the BR and BRS vehicles often looked spick and span. Whether I weather (sorry) them or not I have not decided yet. I still have a few other tasks on the layout and dirty road vehicles is some way down the list. If it's just "shiny" that's the problem I could give them a waft of Dullcote the next time I'm using it.

Chaz

• Like 1

N15class,

Sorry, really cannot agree with your comment.

I think we should take this conversation out of Chaz's thread as its unfair on him,

But Chaz, I do like your video and it does have its own special qualities and shows your layout well.

Thanks Leigh. The main problem with shooting video of Dock Green is that there is not that much scope for variety.

"The trucks on the loading dock seem very shiny compared to the rest of the properly lived in and used environment."   Well, yes....and you are not the first person to comment on this. BUT I have seen photographs of trucks (lorries?) which were obviously looked after really well. It was not unusual for a one man band owner/driver (on a C licence?) to lavish almost as much care on his truck as he might have done on his car. it was, after all, the chief asset of his business. Even the BR and BRS vehicles often looked spick and span. Whether I weather (sorry) them or not I have not decided yet. I still have a few other tasks on the layout and dirty road vehicles is some way down the list. If it's just "shiny" that's the problem I could give them a waft of Dullcote the next time I'm using it.

Chaz

The lorries look fine to me. In Kingsbridge in the late '50s - early '60s there were two main haulage companies, Dandridge and Burgoyne. At the time I was a lorry nut as well as a train buff, so I took a lot of notice of the local road transport. These lorries were always pretty clean, certainly not matt but shiny, and the drivers and the companies took a pride in the way they looked - just like a lot of road hauliers do today, with their elaborate signwriting, air-horns, extra lights and so on. When I worked for Victoria Wine in 1969 as a delivery driver, my first job of the day was to wash the van if it was at all grubby. The boss at the shop would flatly refuse to let me take a dirty van out on the road. It is very easy to overdo this idea that everything must be covered in layers of unspeakable grime . . .

John

The lorries look fine to me. In Kingsbridge in the late '50s - early '60s there were two main haulage companies, Dandridge and Burgoyne. At the time I was a lorry nut as well as a train buff, so I took a lot of notice of the local road transport. These lorries were always pretty clean, certainly not matt but shiny, and the drivers and the companies took a pride in the way they looked - just like a lot of road hauliers do today, with their elaborate signwriting, air-horns, extra lights and so on. When I worked for Victoria Wine in 1969 as a delivery driver, my first job of the day was to wash the van if it was at all grubby. The boss at the shop would flatly refuse to let me take a dirty van out on the road. It is very easy to overdo this idea that everything must be covered in layers of unspeakable grime . . .

John

Oh, thanks John, you encourage me. It's good to have my (admittedly hazy) memories backed up by the opinion of someone who knows. I have to agree with your last sentence 100%. Whilst it's true that the yard, the retaining walls, the bridges and the surrounding buildings are "covered in layers of unspeakable grime" I do have this feeling that road vehicles would have been looked after in a way that good old BR had largely abandoned with goods stock and lowly tank engines. The contrast is actually useful - something clean and bright to emphasis the squalor!

Chaz

Here are the posters from Trackside Signs which I bought at the St Albans show, and which were temporarily fixed with Blue Tak.

P1050936-2%20397%20x%20600_zpstdtlfnbz.j

I decided that something more impressive is required to fix the posters to the bridge rather than the lengths of square section timber that the poster boards are usually supplied with. With the posters on the bridge so close to the front of the layout it would be nice if the backs are as interesting as the fronts. This is a support, made from wood square section cut on my Proxon circular saw. I attached it to the back of the poster board with Blue Tak to try out the effect.

P1050939-2%20383%20x%20600_zpsk9rspgra.j

The framework proved to be rather too fragile with the joints too weak - the contact patches for the PVA glue I used to assemble it just not big enough. I strengthened the structure with some card joint plates.

P1050942-2%20340%20x%20600_zpsjjyqgynr.j

These have made the frames more robust. I included a couple of spacers in the frame with 1mm holes drilled through so that I can use brass wire as fixing pegs.

P1050944-2%20600%20x%20394_zps2eegz3fg.j

I needed five frames, three for a three poster board and two for a narrower one.

P1050947-2%20509%20x%20600_zpshferh3yz.j

I think timberwork of this type would have been treated with creosote rather than paint.

P1050949-2%20600%20x%20407_zps7so1yjdp.j

I painted the frames with artist's acrylics - a mixture of vandyke brown and lamp black produced a convincing creosote colour. The rectangles in the foreground are packing pieces which will be glued to the supports so that they clear the parapet stones on the walls. it was nice to see that once I had painted the frames the card joint-strengthening plates look quite realistic.

The next photos show the poster boards fixed to the bridge. The support frames are glued to the back of the boards with PVA and are fixed to the bridge with 1mm brass wire pins which are snug enough in the holes not to need glue.

P1050951-2%20451%20x%20600_zpswe8v4hah.j

P1050950-2%20583%20x%20600_zpsovluzsgu.j

P1050953-2%20364%20x%20600_zpsnjjcmxxn.j

I will take more pictures of the posters at the Alton show this coming weekend when the layout will be set up properly. To do this work I put the single baseboard up but all the buildings and details are packed away.

Chaz

• Like 12

Heavy metal at Alton...

I usually take one bigger loco' to shows to spice things up a bit. At the St Albans show it was Hitchin's 61027 - although somebody on my team kept subbing it with the Brush type 2- sacrilege!

For the Alton show I am going to take 60869 - what do you mean a bit unlikely? :no: It's not impossible that a couple of loco' failures at Hornsey shed might have led them to borrow a V2 that had just arrived on a goods at Ferme Park - there are no weight restrictions on Dock Green...

Chaz

edit - Just in case you are wondering, I am planning to continue building the JLTRT vans next week and the account will continue here.

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

The Parkside MOGO is finished and ready to paint...

P1050954-2%20600%20x%20461_zpsxbfjm6ug.j

I have some doubts about those protruding hinges - one of them pinged off as I was fitting the buffer rams - I must have nudged it. Time will tell how secure they prove to be. ABS and polystyrene - not the easiest of plastics to join with solvent?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fitting the brake hoses to the Slater's van I used a similar arrangement to the one on the MOGO to strengthen the mounting.

P1050955-2%20600%20x%20356_zpswnqfr11q.j

I made a wire support by bending the wire around the pipe and drilled the floor of the van for the support and the underside of the buffer beam for the peg on the casting.

P1050956-2%20600%20x%20471_zps6o19eoag.j

here's a "dry" assembly.

P1050957-2%20600%20x%20421_zpsvelge31a.j

Later I will fix it with some superglue.

It's just possible to see the support from a very low viewpoint. Once the van is painted and weathered it should be virtually invisible.

P1050960-2%20600%20x%20470_zpshqbovslp.j

Both vans are nearly ready to paint but I think I will wait until the three JLTRT vans are assembled and paint all five as a batch.

Chaz

• Like 6

As I often do before a show I woke up too early this Saturday morning.

It took rather a long time to put the layout up last night as there were only three of us - still as Sue said it was a leisurely affair once we had carried it all in from the van.

http://www.altonmrg.co.uk/category/febex/

For the spotters amongst you here are the locos you might see this weekend on Dock Green if you visit the show...

"Susan" - industrial 0-4-0ST

"Christine" - industrial 0-6-0ST

11135 - the usual yard pilot - although any of the steam tank locos might take over

60869 - heavy metal, making it's first appearance on Dock Green

D5052

D8024

very late 1950's!

Chaz

• Like 1

Last night, when we got back from setting up the layout at Alton I sorted out the front coupling on my Peckett 0-4-0ST.

A little explanation - Dingham couplings work pretty well but there is a problem with the shortened version, the one designed for industrials with short buffers. The latch on the hook coupling often doesn't allow the loop on the other vehicle to lift. I have tried a variety of solutions - including a DCC controlled uncoupler - worked with memory wire. This had to be removed - when I fitted a "keep alive" to this loco' there wasn't room for the voltage regulator and high current resistor that I used to work  the memory wire.

So last night I made up a latch from 0.7mm NS wire which seems to work perfectly. Today's exhibition running will provide a thorough test!

P1050962-2%20534%20x%20600_zpsiiffqegv.j

The wire runs in a short length of brass tube soldered into the hook. The short strip of brass hanging down from the wire and soldered to it acts as a counterweight, ensuring that the latch wire drops back, otherwise if it's pushed hard up against the buffer beam it would stay there.

Coupled up...

P1050963-2%20600%20x%20524_zpsbxvb0awr.j

In the photo' above you can see the difference in length between the standard Dingham on the wagon and the shortened one on the loco'.

Uncoupled, and latched, the wagon can be propelled and will not re-couple...

P1050964-2%20600%20x%20523_zps3w9vgboc.j

This little job was finished just before 11pm - madness?

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 5

Having got home and packed everything away, or at least close the workroom door on it all until tomorrow, I would like to say what a very pleasant show the Alton one was. All the team enjoyed playing trains operating the layout, which worked with very few problems. We found the exhibition stewards very helpful and friendly - although I do think that they could have made sure it was not raining when the time came to load the van for home.

During the whole weekend we had a couple of derailments and a few stalls - and the latter from loco's which seem to be saying that even with compensation, DCC keep alives and graphite on the rails eventually - dirt will win. If you don't clean the track for five shows (which I hadn't) the dirt build up on the wheels will be so extreme that the wonder is that an 0-4-0T like the Peckett will work at all.  :nono:  Enough is enough! Lesson learnt.

I will post more photo's I took at the show soon.

Chaz

• Like 2

Some photo's from the Alton show - first a few of the star performer on Dock Green...

P1050983-2%20600%20x%20432_zps5r8fjwdx.j

P1050986%20600%20x%20450_zpshjkwvn3g.jpg

P1050987-2%20451%20x%20600_zpsnmkjxdqg.j

I had to include the next one. The quality is poor but it reminds me of all those shots of big Gresley loco's at the buffer stops at The Cross...

P1050982-2%20600%20x%20359_zpsnjiz8yvy.j

The file number of the next photo' might remind us of an old friend - long departed...

P1060015-2%20600%20x%20350_zpsfh5q5jrt.j

60015 - Quicksilver!

P1050979-2%20600%20x%20351_zpsc2ozcme5.j

More photo's from Alton later.

Chaz

• Like 15

The next few pictures are of the Trackside Signs posters.

P1050968-2%20600%20x%20466_zpst0ezo0zr.j

P1050965-2%20600%20x%20509_zpsel14f4na.j

P1050970-2%20600%20x%20456_zpsreyrgo2p.j

P1050966-2%20600%20x%20351_zpsy4bmqwlk.j

That must be the best road surface in North London. Maybe a few dodgy repairs, patches etc might make that expanse a bit more interesting.

P1050975-2%20600%20x%20461_zpsap3lczbg.j

P1050969-2%20600%20x%20450_zps3jyxviyu.j

Chaz

• Like 12