Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

I forgot to mention, yes the firebox flickers, and can either be left on random with fireman sounds (seems to come on more frequently when loco is stationary) or switched on and off with F15 on the Howes chip, I was very pleased with how fire-like it actually looks, especially when the glow reflects off the crew and pipework. I replaced the pcb in the tender in the end with a SW Digital decoder board with AUX 3 and 4 circuitry for added lighting control.

• 1 month later...

I definitely bought mine to run although I haven't used it much as I don't possess any suitable stock to run behind it as yet. wink.gif

Yes suitable 'decent' stock to run behind it - if only.....

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just brought the City of Bath

I have hard wired in a TCS T1 Decoder, but CV5 doesn't appear to have any effect, I'm wondering if it's caused by any capacitor fitted to motor. Are any fitted?

I can't get the loco body off to check, I've undone the 2 screws but the chassis still won't budge from the body, The model is so delicate I'm loath to apply to much presure

Hello,

my name is Ralf, i'm from Germany and this is my first post at this forum, I know, my english is not very good but i'll try...

Now, i just bought a City of Bath, found it at Hattons while looking for something totally different and could not resist. She's a beauty, but i have the same problem here with removing the Chassis/Motor unit:

I can't get the loco body off to check, I've undone the 2 screws but the chassis still won't budge from the body, The model is so delicate I'm loath to apply to much presure

I unscrewed the two screws and even removed (without problems...) the gearbox plate but the chassis itself will not move. Is there something glued or clipped or do I have to remove the Tender-coupling or something like that?

15611863lh.jpg

15611864gj.jpg

Besides that, she runs fine but I like to give her some lubrication. I have absolutely no coaches, so i put some prussian ones behind. They are green too, you know...   :O

15611867ua.jpg

15611868zu.jpg

15611869dn.jpg

Edited by Glueman
  • Like 9

Well I managed to remove the body today, but it is very tight, just need to undo 2 screws mentioned in instruction sheet and gently ease if off.

I found 3 capacitors attached to the body and after removing those, it now runs very well on DCC

I'm having a problem getting the front bogie to stay on the track, occasionally it jumps off, particularly where I have a raised bridge for the door. 

Has anyone tried adding extra weight to the front bogie?

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

my name is Ralf, i'm from Germany and this is my first post at this forum, I know, my english is not very good but i'll try...

Now, i just bought a City of Bath, found it at Hattons while looking for something totally different and could not resist. She's a beauty, but i have the same problem here with removing the Chassis/Motor unit:

I unscrewed the two screws and even removed (without problems...) the gearbox plate but the chassis itself will not move. Is there something glued or clipped or do I have to remove the Tender-coupling or something like that?

Besides that, she runs fine but I like to give her some lubrication. I have absolutely no coaches, so i put some prussian ones behind. They are green too, you know...   :O

Welcome to the forum Ralf.Fit the bufferbeam detail and cut off that hideous front coupling and the front end will be much improved.Like you say,she's a beauty.

Edited by gwrrob

Thanks Rob,

till now I don't dare to do something about the coupling. There is only one spare bogie and I think, i'll need three of them untill I get it right... Maybe one day when I have enough beer to overcome my fear. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob,

till now I don't dare to do something about the coupling. There is only one spare bogie and I think, i'll need three of them untill I get it right... Maybe one day when I have enough beer to overcome my fear. 

This is what it could look like Ralf. ;)

post-126-0-79839400-1377533168_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

off topic but

Every job is a self portrait of the person who did it.Autograph your work with excellence.Especially if its made at Swindon works.

Imagine something of your very own.Something you can have and hold.I'd build a road in gold.Just to have some dreaming.

Robin

I was just wondering if the combination of these two tag lines has something to do with Debbie playing havoc with your optical alignment. :O
RP

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here are a couple of pics that I took of my City of Truro conversion running on Shirehampton MRC's layout at their open day last weekend. The firebox is glowing nicely, I think the fireman is ready to cook breakfast! Its the first time I've managed to run it on a decent layout with functioning sound and lights and it was fabulous. I still need to do the buffer detailing and the lamps were a bit of a compromise due to available control functions. When the lighting is switched on with F0 the two lamps on the buffers are white in forward direction and the lower tender lamp is red, when in reverse the upper tender lamp is white and the lamp on the boiler is red. The two tender lamps can be switched off independently (F16 & 17) when the loco is hauling a load. It would have been nicer if bi-colour red/white LEDs had been available in the lamps.

attachicon.gifIMG_0117a.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0121b.jpg

It's interesting to note how thick the lining on the Bachmann loco is compared to the Hornby one.

Also interesting to note that this loco is so much better than the Star in overall quality

In your opinion perhaps. Personally I have no issue with the Star.  It works fine, looks like a Star, performs like a Star.

The Star can also be used for more than one name and has/can been modified to different versions, unlike the City which is a accurate model of a preserved condition engine, and cannot definatively be renamed with the frame strengthening/ very early tender combination as supplied.

Mike Wiltshire

Welcome to the forum Ralf.Fit the bufferbeam detail and cut off that hideous front coupling and the front end will be much improved.Like you say,she's a beauty.

Of course that depends what you want to use her for. If you're attempting to recreate any of Truro's visits to preserved lines over the last few years, the front coupling would probably come in quite useful....

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, seems to be a great deal of expertise here so can I ask some of you to check out my thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99748-Bachmann-30-325-ambulance-train-40/I did search but never found this thread.

Feeling really sad to have the issues found :( coupling rods upside down, runs horrid, detail fitting not easy.

You will see I made a unboxing video 5:57 shows the rods issue.

Not sure how to cure the lumpy running, maybe I just got a bad one?

Thanks for any help, my City of London runs like a dream