Maunsell Open second/third

Tim Hale

What is interesting is that this coach is only in the 2012 catalogue and not 2013. I tried to pre-order one from my local shop - Harburn Hobbies, Edinburgh - in February but they were unable to so do because it was not in the current (2013) catalogue. Went to Liverpool mail order instead. Does this indicate that only shop pre-orders will be fulfilled? We'll know in a week or so, I guess :scratchhead:

mal

• RMweb Premium

What is interesting is that this coach is only in the 2012 catalogue and not 2013. I tried to pre-order one from my local shop - Harburn Hobbies, Edinburgh - in February but they were unable to so do because it was not in the current (2013) catalogue. Went to Liverpool mail order instead. Does this indicate that only shop pre-orders will be fulfilled? We'll know in a week or so, I guess :scratchhead:

mal

I understood that it wasn't in the 2013 catalogue because Hornby has sold out to retailers, so more could not be ordered from them and only those retailers that had not sold out their allocation/order could still accept pre-orders and might have some for sale for walk in customers when released. However.... Hattons as one example some time ago showed them as sold out, but more recently had them available again. So have people cancelled their pre-orders, or has Hornby sensibly taken the delay as an opportunity to increase the production run? Hopefully we'll know very soon now.

I understood that it wasn't in the 2013 catalogue because Hornby has sold out to retailers, so more could not be ordered from them and only those retailers that had not sold out their allocation/order could still accept pre-orders and might have some for sale for walk in customers when released. However.... Hattons as one example some time ago showed them as sold out, but more recently had them available again. So have people cancelled their pre-orders, or has Hornby sensibly taken the delay as an opportunity to increase the production run? Hopefully we'll know very soon now.

R4538 now in stock at Hornby!

• RMweb Gold

One on its way to me via Yodel.....Heaven help me....hope it doesn't arrive in kit-form. Asked for Royal Mail delivery but Hattons,in their wisdom,etc....

Oh me of little faith ! Duly arrived in one piece courtesy of nice gentleman from DHL/HDN whatever .Invoice states Royal Mail 2-day.I shouldn't grumble,should I? At least,I got it. Looks the part.

• RMweb Gold

Hattons seem a little confused about their eras - this is clearly 1956-on, being green, but has been added to the early-crest, 1948-56 section. I note this section also has the correct crimson and cream era coaches as well as some maroon, which sounds later to me. Then there are the Maunsell pull-push sets, which appeared in 1959, so a bit late for 1948-56, really.

Dividing products up by era is a really good way to help people - but it needs to be kept tidy.

hmmm...not the ideal way to select coaches for TG but I've ended up ordering 3 of these this afternoon (just to be sure of availability) before sitting down with one or two coach books to check how I can prototypically use them on the layout.

Dave    

Hattons seem a little confused about their eras - this is clearly 1956-on, being green, but has been added to the early-crest, 1948-56 section. I note this section also has the correct crimson and cream era coaches as well as some maroon, which sounds later to me. Then there are the Maunsell pull-push sets, which appeared in 1959, so a bit late for 1948-56, really.

Dividing products up by era is a really good way to help people - but it needs to be kept tidy.

Could be correct, the colour looks like BR branded SR Malachite in some pictures.

• RMweb Gold

Most open thirds were loose vehicles in their early years, and some of the early batches did service as dining vehicles. The Rails' image seems to show a set number on the end, which looks like 104. I am not used to set numbers on other than brake vehicles. Coach 1314, which had 2 lavatory vents, like the Hornby model, was allocated to set 104 in 11/59. Despite the general rule that high windows were introduced in stock built after mid-1929, it seems these coaches were still built with a low-window configuration, despite 1314 not being completed until 3/33.

Rails appears to have sold out of these coaches already.

...interesting conversation on SEMG Ian re set numbers on non-brake vehicle ends...apparently some 2 coach sets included these SO's which obviously req. set numbers on them...also, the brake vehicle was brake end to the SO in some cases.  

Dave

Most open thirds were loose vehicles in their early years, and some of the early batches did service as dining vehicles. The Rails' image seems to show a set number on the end, which looks like 104. I am not used to set numbers on other than brake vehicles. Coach 1314, which had 2 lavatory vents, like the Hornby model, was allocated to set 104 in 11/59. Despite the general rule that high windows were introduced in stock built after mid-1929, it seems these coaches were still built with a low-window configuration, despite 1314 not being completed until 3/33.

Rails appears to have sold out of these coaches already.

Hi.  These open 3rds did not need high windows as there was no corridor to stand in and watch the scenery go by. Anybody by a window was sitting down.  Roger.

• RMweb Gold

Hi.  These open 3rds did not need high windows as there was no corridor to stand in and watch the scenery go by. Anybody by a window was sitting down.  Roger.

True - but the Maunsell open 3rds in the EMUs that I travelled in had sliding ventilators atop the large sidelights, making the windows full-height. The final loco-hauled Maunsell open 3rds, Dia 2007, were to the same design.

A new Open third is now on its way to these nether regions.  I am taking a gamble that the BR green they have used is the same green that Hornby used on the earlier Southern and BR Green Maunsell coaches and can have the nationalization markings removed, be re-lettered and that it will then match the other Southern Rwy. green (not olive-green) Maunsell coaches Hornby has produced in the past.

Hoping there will be some real pictures soon on this thread so I don't have to wait until later this month to find out if my gamble is working.

Would it be appropriate to place the unassigned second open in a 1946-48 ACE formation between sets or at the end end of the train so the catering vehicle could be detached/attached at Exeter on a Summer Saturday ACE?

• RMweb Gold

Would it be appropriate to place the unassigned second open in a 1946-48 ACE formation between sets or at the end end of the train so the catering vehicle could be detached/attached at Exeter on a Summer Saturday ACE?

Gould is clear that post-war services did not get back into pre-war gear very quickly - pp 84-5.

I suggest you forget that many open thirds were used in catering service - there can only have been so many in such service, and with over 150 eventually built, many must have been on more conventional loose duties. And by no means all the kitchen cars were back in service even at the start of 1947, says Gould. Summer Saturday ACEs might well have included one or more open thirds right through to Padstow. Between sets sounds good to me.

• RMweb Gold

A book published by Noodle Books (sic!)  'Southern Region Flashback',compiled by David Kimber has photos taken at Fleet on the main S.R. line to the West & Bournemouth. There is a glorious b&w shot of the ACE with 35005 (Canpac) at the head.....'sunshine' livery,'British Railways' on tender.....i.e 1948/9 .The first coach is 'our' Maunsell open,followed by more Maunsell stock,with indecipherable head boards. Bulleids and  restaurant car/cars in middle.Canpac was,I think an Exmouth Junction (72A) loco at that time and would have come off at Exeter Central,where various portions split. Anybody's guess as to where the front coach went...the one in the photo definitely wasn't a catering vehicle but  quite probably a 'strengthener' to cater for the huge boom in holiday traffic immediately post-war. Few owned a family car.  Holiday expresses were chronically overcrowded. Overcrowded trains?.......nothing is new under the sun.

Archived