Treamble Branch Line & Penhale Military Camp

I'm usually fairly good at remembering where I left things - but there are exceptions and there are times when someone else helpfully moves them.

Latest missing items are name badges.... sure there were in my sock drawer....

You name your socks ! ? !

• RMweb Gold

You name your socks ! ? !

Doesn't everyone ?

Found the name badges this morning, in the 'take this box to the show' box that is not being taken to the show.

Need to make new inserts for the badges now.

Also need to adjust the Treamble name sign, add a safety wall on FY #1, and then check all is right for the opening at 10:00.

If you are coming, please do stop & say hello.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Stu,

Looks like it all came together wonderfully for the show. Really good modelling and something to be inspired by.

However, I have a question on one of the non-visible bits... The trunking looks like Wickes or similar. But how did you attach the fascia to it... clips, wire? I can't make it out in the pictures.

Thanks for the thread, it's really good to see all of the step by step items.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

The trunking is indeed Wicks.

Where each leg is placed on the baseboard, there is a circular tap washer screwed in to the wood. If the washer is slightly depressed by over-tightening the screw, it splays out a little, so the conduit pipe is then an interference fit over the top.

The weight of the frame, plus the tight, fit is enough to keep it all in place.

Oops, just re-read your question.

The fascia for Shepherds is held on with cable ties - these are cut & discarded after each show. However, the card is not strong enough on it's own and is starting to bow and sag.

The fascia for Treamble is first stuck to a foam board backing, then a foamboard inverted 'L' section is added to hook over the pipe. After cleverly measuring the pipe to be 20mm, I cut a 20mm wide strip for the top of the 'L' and a 30mm strip for the side of the 'L'. Of course, the junction pieces are wider than 20mm, so the hook has started to peel away from the main frame - lesson learnt !

The centre section of each fascia is designed to hold the frame square - neither seemed to work that well, so improvements will be made here too.

So, Shepherds frame will be backed with foamboard and the hooks will be made wider.

Hope that helps.

Stu

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Thanks Stu, That's exactly the sort of reason I follow this thread (besides the really nice pictures of models of course). You say how you've done it... and then say why it wasn't quite right and how you'd do it better next time! So hopefully I can copy the idea and attempt to skip straight to your better idea :)

Neil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Neil, in the second picture of post #166 you can probably make out the long foamboard hook over the conduit frame. I had measured the horizontal length of the hook so it would fit between the junction pieces - I just forgot to allow enough width.

For Shepherds I'm going to reduce each of the four verticals by an inch to give more room above the conduit to add the hooks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stu.

Now that you've told me about it and pointed it out I understand what I'm seeing. Last question on this (I think)... Is the long hook just butt jointed to the fascia? If so, what glue have you used to give it enough strength (ignoring the fact that it's coming away because the dimensions are slightly under).

Regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it's just butt jointed, with two small triangles on the top to keep it all square and add strength.

I use 'Anita's Tacky Glue' which is a quick drying pva. It glues card and foamboard very well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some ivy on the viewing side of the tank steelwork could soften the appearance, and also possibly block up more of the view.

- Richard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The tank is one I made for the Taunton module 'Black Country Baby Blues'. For some reason the central outlet pipe has gone awol, but should be easy to replace. I'll cut the ground away and plant the legs, then re-direct the in-flow pipe on a raised wooden support.

Ivy on the side is a great idea, thanks Richard.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have done some work on the layout this evening.

The re-worked military siding and new crane:

post-7025-0-57344500-1445458559_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-11833000-1445458601_thumb.jpg

A new roof for the dynamite store:

post-7025-0-25145000-1445458637_thumb.jpg

The water tower is now in place beside the warehouse. It needs the down pipe and an inspection ladder :

post-7025-0-85087900-1445458659_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Ha ha, no I'd just never finished it.

This layout is more or less done now. Some missing details are ladders on the old tramway, flashing round the boiler chimney and a few bramble bushes. I might add a winter tree ( no leaves) as another view blocker, next to the military platform.

Oh, and a backscene.

• Like 3