Things which annoy you with modelling

Small details that fall from the bench and jettison or teleport off somewhere even though it's not physically possible as they've only fallen from a small height onto a carpet. 

An item or tool on the workbench is hiding underneath something that is just large enough to cover said item and keep it out of the line of vision even though it's right under your nose.

Glueing everything up square only to find the modelling fairies have been in and skewed it all so it looks a right old bollix when it's set.

Small details that fall from the bench and jettison or teleport off somewhere even though it's not physically possible as they've only fallen from a small height onto a carpet.

Andrew I see you have discovered the worm hole to the Gamma quadrant that exists under every modellers work bench. I have a theory that the ferengi  sell the parts on Deep Space nine at an enormous profit. You can tell how much this annoys me by the comfort story I've made up to lessen the pain!

CAT

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

People copying and pasting the same oft repeated wishlists into threads whenever there is the announcement of an announcement (which is in itself another irritation).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Autism and Asperger's seem to be associated with railways in general in a way I don't fully understand, possibly a combination of the obsession with numbers and that railways are a 'safe', predictable environment with their own rules, norms, set practices, and traditions which are easy to understand and deal with as opposed to the unpredictable and scary world over the ticket barrier. Sounds, experiences, sensory input, are more controlled and understood on railways than outside them.  

I have recently come out of a relationship with an Aspie squeeze, who was, more correctly is, in many ways a very lovely girl and whose condition I found myself able to cope with; sadly she is also an inveterate stoner which I ultimately couldn't!  She will always be a friend.  Incidentally she has a railway obsession, 1938 London Transport Tube stock.

But, even though I thought I was able to cope, and arguably mostly could, she would always blind side me with some literal and completely logical interpretation of something, or a perspective that would, or could, never occur to me.  And she was and will always be potentially challenging in a social environment; anger and frustration will always be major drivers of Aspie behaviour.  Aspie/Autistic club members are not always going to be easy to cope with, and will constantly challenge you in ways you never thought of, but their loyalty, moral integrity, and honesty is absolute, unstinting, and unconditional; by and large I'd say they're worth the effort, though it isn't a guaranteed easy ride and there is no book of instructions!

Marvellous description, Johnster.  Coincidentally, our son has finally been given his ASD diagnosis today (after about a decade of it being blindingly obvious to everyone).

The "Meejah" love to stereotype railway enthusiasts as all Asperger's but it has occurred to me that there are an amazing number of really quite "odd" people at football matches, which is considered the most normal thing in the world to be obsessed about.  Some fans knowledge of their team's past players, games, scores, league positions and goals scored, would embarrass most railway enthusiasts.

Oh Boy are we going of topic here....... very interesting though!

The books I've read on Aspergers, and the forums and web sites I've looked at, hardly have a mention of railways (model or real).

Interesting, a poster at my old work promoting  ASD Awareness provided examples of symptons, one of which was obsessive levels of interests and used he example of trains.

Interesting, a poster at my old work promoting  ASD Awareness provided examples of symptons, one of which was obsessive levels of interests and used he example of trains.

I think I've seen it more in "official" information than the stuff written by the real experts!

• RMweb Premium

It's not just modern layouts that have glaring errors.

True of course, but at least with modern (if you mean current instead of anything in the last thirty or more years) you can always go and have a look, and if you need a photograph take one instead of hoping someone took one 50 years ago (suitable access permitting of course).

• RMweb Premium

True of course, but at least with modern (if you mean current instead of anything in the last thirty or more years) you can always go and have a look, and if you need a photograph take one instead of hoping someone took one 50 years ago (suitable access permitting of course).

That was my original point, although I do mean anything post-steam era, because the amount of photographic evidence available is enormous.

But yes, modelling the current scene and "looking but not seeing" is inexcusable.

• RMweb Gold

People quoting large chunks of previous posts when replying to a point.

Edit to correct typo.

Not quite sure what you mean there, Colin. Could you rephrase it, please?

Bluebottle I did not notice the autocorrect which made a nonsense of my post. Now corrected and I hope the meaning is now clear. :)

At exhibitions - lack of layout lighting. I always wonder why somebody spends hours making a great layout then when they show it I can barely see it - especially as I've paid to.

Actually I get a bee in my bonnet generally about the standard of layout presentation - its a vitally important bit that often gets neglected (which if I'm being truthful, I have been guilty of myself?!?)

Off the top my head - a layout I think is excellently presented is Diesels in the Duchy.

• Like 1

Bluebottle I did not notice the autocorrect which made a nonsense of my post. Now corrected and I hope the meaning is now clear. :)

Thanks, Colin, I thought it must be something like that. I have in the past commented on responses which replicate large original posts, including images - unnecessarily, as the original posts are close at hand for reference. I always try to edit down to the pith of what I'm responding to, and downscale large images where needed as reminders. Takes me a little time, but saves scrolling time for other RMwebbers.  :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Getting old and the resultant deterioration in eyesight and hands. This was the main reason I gave up 'N' a few years ago and even find 00 challenging sometimes

Wait until you have to revert to tension lock couplers.  Nurse, my diaper needs changing again...

When I am soldering a joint, holding the wire in one hand and the soldering iron in the other, just as the solder melts my glasses start sliding down my nose, so I have to drop the wire and grab the glasses before they drop onto the soldering iron.

• RMweb Premium

Any loco's in BR blue with 2 red tail lights on at the same time, (Yes Mr Bachmann, you are wrong)

You could have cl.27/1, 27/2 and 47/7 but only when on the rear of a push-pull service

Edited by keefer

What do I find annoying? My own indecision on what to model! I first started thinking about starting to build a model railway when my grandson was born (over a year ago). The room (front half of unused garage) was quickly identified but need ceiling (done) and then all of the junk removing,a task that remains incomplete because someone keeps finding urgent jobs that I need to do. Most of my 'free time' is the daily commute to the office. I spend this time leafing through old copies of RM, looking for inspiration.

• Like 1

There are a lot of glaring errors on modern layouts, often ones on the exhibition circuit.

The errors can usually be attributed to the builder being very interested in locos but having observed almost nothing else about the railway and its surroundings.

Yeah, I'm no expert, but even I realise you have to have modern infrastructure if your going to run modern trains, some layouts have great amounts of stock but seems to be running in a 60s environment.