Things which annoy you with modelling

• RMweb Premium

N gauge Rapido couplings.  The only thing rapid as far as I am concerned is the speed at which said couplings should be removed and chucked in the bin.

Modelling a certain loco or piece of stock and looking on the web for images and all the photo's are of the side that you don't need to see. Then you find the side that you need and that detail you're searching for is obscured by a bush or something or the photo is taken with the loco at a platform and you needed to see the chassis.

Also looking for a specific loco on a Flikr search and just getting pictures of loads of fit Japanese girls........ooof!

• RMweb Premium

Also looking for a specific loco on a Flikr search and just getting pictures of loads of fit Japanese girls........ooof!

That's not an annoyance - more of a hindrance....................

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Modelling a certain loco or piece of stock and looking on the web for images and all the photo's are of the side that you don't need to see. Then you find the side that you need and that detail you're searching for is obscured by a bush or something or the photo is taken with the loco at a platform and you needed to see the chassis.

That never happens when I search for Flying Scotsman... 

A timely thread - just been struggling to connect the bl**dy stupid engine to tender plug and socket thing on a Hornby Schools. Managed to break two of the flimsiest wires known to man and am now contemplating throwing the whole lot out of the window.

There should be a warning on the box - 'People with sausage fingers should avoid this product like the plague'.

Hornby sell a little tool specifically for removing these plugs.  It's simple, it works - and I wouldn't be without one.

post-14917-0-92504000-1507422124.jpg

A) When laying new track, you get everything running perfectly, you fix the track in place and suddenly: derailments.

B) When everything travels through point work beautifully except one b****Y loco, usually either Bachmann N7 or Hornby T9.

Edit: N class, not N7.

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

A) When laying new track, you get everything running perfectly, you fix the track in place and suddenly: derailments.

B) When everything travels through point work beautifully except one b****Y loco, usually either Bachmann N7 or Hornby T9.

A) Don't hit the track pins so hard!!

B) Turn the locos round the other way? ( What?- no one told me Bachmann were making an N7 - DAVE!)

:sungum:

A) Don't hit the track pins so hard!!

B) Turn the locos round the other way?

:sungum:

My one O-16.5 loco has the back to back out on all the wheels, so it jumps on Peco small radius Y points in both directions! At least I stick my track down without using pins, so it's no worse when fixed down :).

• 3 weeks later...

Arrogance towards other modellers: At a recent show one exhibitor was displaying a modern era layout..... poor scenery and only one item in use.... brand new DCC sound CL66 with 10 x hopper wagons (approx £80 each).

A young lad about 14 who is a regular attendee with obviously not much money as he walks to the venue, pays the entry fee in a mix of small denomination loose change and purchases all his items from the bargain basement whilst watching his peers deliberate over the £100+ items next door, spies the jinty on the layout and finally plucks up courage to ask the operator 'why is there a steam engine on this modern era layout?'.

To both myself and my wifes disgust and the shock of the poor lad.....'WHY NOT?'  the exhibitor snapped back. I immediately retorted in a loud voice 'Perhaps its down from the local preservation line for maintenance', then my wife said in an equally loud voice ' Or he's only got two locos because he's spent all his money on one train to get free entry to the show.......... and anyway the scenery is rubbish and i could do better..... and i'm a girl!!!'.

outcome was the boy laughed, the exhibitor was brought back down to size and for the rest of the day we saw the boy enjoying the show, interacting with other friendly exhibitors and smiling every time he saw us.

Hopefully we'll see him at the next SDJR area small event..... unlike the arrogant imbecile who obviously thinks having expensive stock is more important than showing that this hobby is about enjoying what we do and encourage and help others to enjoy it too regardless of age, sex or wealth.

Mine will never be on par with 'Little Muddle', 'A nod to Brent', or many more layouts showcased on RMWeb that we are all envious of and wish we could emulate, but at least if someone is willing to take time to look at my attempts or listen to my ramblings...... i will always give them the respect THEY DESERVE and take time to interact with them.

THEY ARE THE FUTURE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

secondly i hate people who get on their soapbox  and 'Gob Off'.................

yes dear i'll just finish the washing up now....................................................................

• Like 8

Is annoyance defined as ' congratulating yourself on doing a job that's really well done........... only to then see the latest offerings from other modellers which make yours look like you been modelling in a pair of oven gloves with the lights off'.

hats off to all you great modellers out there and please keep posting your photos and educational threads so that we who are not worthy can at least try to emulate your stirling work.......... if only to a standard appreciated by a small child or genuine modeller and enthusiast.

Now where did I put those oven gloves.............. Oh powers gone off again............ where is that flippin' torch?

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

RTR manufacturers who apparently deliberately get things wrong when it would have been just as easy to get them right.  I am prepared to accept that the alleged problems with the Ox Dean Goods were not deliberate, simply inadequate research of what was a complex and only nominally 'standard' class of locomotives which altered over time anyway. but the Airfix/GMR/Dapol/Hornby auto trailer (I have just bought another one to replace an Airfix which was distinctly battered and bruised) which cannot decide whether it is fish or fowl, A28 or A30, seems difficult to justify to me.  I am disappointed that Hornby are still using bogies with brake blocks hanging in mid air miles out of line with the wheels; they have better ones available and this is not a Railroad model (though perhaps it ought to be) but see the reason behind it's use to keep costs down, but the body moulding is inexplicable.  

There are other examples, of course.

Is it the loco or the tender that comes off? If the latter, there's a whole thread about it somewhere.

John

Everything derails on it aha, the previous owner did fix the tender but all the weight in it has come loose so it can be a bit hit and miss, but sometimes the bogies derail or the driving wheels go through the middle of points instead of turning left or right, I have point work that even sensitive locos like the E4, T9, Merchant Navy and Q1 can all pass through but not the N. It is an older version though, I wonder if the newer releases perform better? I think it can make it through one of the 6 route options on my layout.

For one who was such a prolific modeller in times past, an enforced lack of modelling over the last six months has led to a massive loss in confidence and motivation. I'll often look at an item (when I do have some time) and think; "ach well, maybe later, not now.." Sadly, one day when it's too late might be when the 'later' is. It troubles me somewhat and I often feel guilty at this lack of motivation. Sometimes, I think I should just flog the lot and start afresh from a blank and uncluttered canvas; but then I look at the stuff and think that I don't particularly want to part with any of it despite much of it having lain unused for years.

What's a man to do?

D.

It used to annoy me that I would look at layouts such as Everard junction, Dean Park, and Abbottswood junction with envy.

If I am honest knowing that I could never muster the skill to reproduce the exceptional scenery, working signals, crossings, operating vehicles with lights, DCC sounds and detailed formations so stunningly emblasoned in Andy Y's photos (and videos posted by the proud owners), often used to make me feel quite depressed and consider 'why bother I'm just wasting my time as I'll never have anything that good'.

Well not any more like minded fellows.......... I'm doing something about it right now.

I've just finished work near Yeovil so I'm going home to get a morale boost.....

Yes I'm going down to Cogload Junction near Taunton and spend half an hour in the fresh air watching my 1:1 scale GWR Modern Image layout.

I've got FGW Green HST's, FGW DMU's. Cross country liveries, sometimes I'll even run preserved steam specials all with the correct headcodes (coaches even include passenger figures too) and the best realistic sound system going.

Still feeling depressed........NO!!!!

I've got the best layout in the world and I bet you have too if only you can afford to spend half an hour reliving your childhood fantasies.

IMAGINATION.....Without it you're no-one.

Yours Aye,

Giz

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

For one who was such a prolific modeller in times past, an enforced lack of modelling over the last six months has led to a massive loss in confidence and motivation. I'll often look at an item (when I do have some time) and think; "ach well, maybe later, not now.." Sadly, one day when it's too late might be when the 'later' is.

I know that situation all too well.  However, your post has brought it home to me.  I've been putting off working on some coach kits I built over a year ago, but thanks to your post I'm going to go down RIGHT NOW and get on with them.

Or should I have a cup of tea first?

(Just joking about the tea)

DT

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent exhibition layouts spoiled by the proverbial happeth of tar as they are fitted with signs in completely the wrong typeface (BR Rail Alphabet font is available freely and works in MS Word etc).

Similarly, kit built rolling stock, meticulously assembled over months or even years and then ruined by a poor paint job usually topped of with wonky applied wrong style numerals etc.

Ebayers buying up stocks of hard to find rolling stock and them painting them in non-prototypical liveries that those items of stock have never and will never carry, purely for the specific purpose of flogging them at a vast profit all because said livery is trendy (Think Colas and Network Rail yellow here!)

Edited by John M Upton

For one who was such a prolific modeller in times past, an enforced lack of modelling over the last six months has led to a massive loss in confidence and motivation. I'll often look at an item (when I do have some time) and think; "ach well, maybe later, not now.." Sadly, one day when it's too late might be when the 'later' is. It troubles me somewhat and I often feel guilty at this lack of motivation. Sometimes, I think I should just flog the lot and start afresh from a blank and uncluttered canvas; but then I look at the stuff and think that I don't particularly want to part with any of it despite much of it having lain unused for years.

What's a man to do?

D.

Hi Dave, don't be too despondent, come up one Monday and have a play on Wharfeside -  sorry I mean your 'test track' the mojo might just return a bit.

Dave Franks.